Features to come

Hiemalis

Fellow pilgrims, voyagers, stalkers.

I was rereading the roadmap (okay, I'll admit, I reread it almost every day) and wondering: apart from the NPCs, are there any other features originally intended with exclusivity for the story mode that we'll get to see implemented and test in the sandbox mode before the official release?

I ask this in the following context: the developers have mentioned there are features we won't get to see in the game's alpha stage. If I recall correctly, the NPCs were one of them. So are there any other story mode features/mechanics that have a chance of being shown/playtested before beta?

Perhaps someone could point me to a post I missed out? Or better yet, could a dev enlighten us on this?

Thanks!

We're not going to get into the specifics of Story Mode right now, but as we have said in the past, you'll be getting content you haven't seen before. As for new Sandbox features, well, we like to keep it a surprise. ;) But the Roadmap is, obviously, a look into some of the things we are interested in for sure!

12 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

We're not going to get into the specifics of Story Mode right now, but as we have said in the past, you'll be getting content you haven't seen before. As for new Sandbox features, well, we like to keep it a surprise. ;) But the Roadmap is, obviously, a look into some of the things we are interested in for sure!

Every time you say that I get the same feeling I had in my childhood when I heard my parents wrapping up presents for my birthday or christmas. You know, that joyful anticipation, the strong desire to find out beforehand but at the same time not wanting to ruin the surprise for myself, counting the days... thank you for giving me a part of my childhood back :D 

As for the topic at hand, we can at least speculate from what we've seen in the teasers and trailers, so yeah, NPCs and aurorae are pretty obvious. The latest teaser also showed human-vs-human combat (or rather, an execution) so we're probably going to see this as well. However, I also wouldn't put it past Hinterland to keep the most awesome stuff secret and not even show it in any promotional material, so I guess we can be stoked. What a time to be alive! :D 

16 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

This is exactly what I was looking for: the suggestion that there are a few sandbox features we won't see coming. (As opposed to the surprise story mode features that we're already expecting.) Thanks a bunch for stopping by, Patrick.

Now, about that august update... :big_smile:

I'd imagine that the story would push you along, but many "open world" games only progress the story as you complete objectives. So if the story requires you too go to point B, the story simply won't advance till you get there. That's basic game design type stuff, but if Hinterland wants to force the issue, they could require you to reach objectives in so many days.

But that's all conjecture based on my game design experience, no one but Hinterland knows for sure, and I doubt they're telling right now.

On 8/5/2016 at 5:18 AM, Wastelander said:

I also wouldn't put it past Hinterland to keep the most awesome stuff secret and not even show it in any promotional material, so I guess we can be stoked. What a time to be alive! :D 

Yes! Timberwolf mountain caught me completely by surprise, makes me wonder what else they're waiting to drop on us.... :coffee:

We are pretty lucky to have a dev team this skilled and dedicated, the dev teams of more than a few games have simply slipped off the radar long before they were really done... Thank you Hinterland!

Sam

Archived