I don't feel like playing anymore, this may be my last post, I'm sorry.

Docterrok

Ok, I've survived nearly 500 days on my longest run, so hopefully my complaint has some validity. Sad to say, I've grown tired of this game, don't get me wrong, I love the art style and minimalist approach, but with time, this game becomes a monotonous grind fest, I could even liken it to runescape on that front. Now, this saddens me greatly because I truly see this game as special, and the forum community is great, but this game just gets really boring, I understand that applies to all games, but the sheer lack of engaging things to do makes in-game activities feel like chores. I now play this game not for enjoyment, but for calming myself down. But I want to be scared of wolves, I want to explore and discover, but The Long Dark provides that fear and sense of exploration for only a little while, then, I become bored from just doing vast amounts of nothing, I truly wish I could be entertained by this game for longer than a few days. I feel bad for being so critical, but something has to change. I've taken a break from playing after I went on a shooting rampage while naked and fought some wolves with a knife, even then, as my health was at 5% and I was surrounded by wolf corpses, I realized, "this game isn't fun anymore." That saddened me, and I'm telling you this because this may very well be my last post. The story I started in the fanfic forum will eventually fade, my content will go unnoticed, and eventually, my interest for this game as a whole will completely fade into the long dark...

unless...

I actually view this game as fun once more, this can be done in many ways, I don't want to threaten my support for this game unless you add things, but these are my suggestions to make me engaged once more.

• make animals way more dangerous, I don't want to be able to kill entire wolfpacks naked with a pry bar
  • give us things to do, home decorations, cards, whittling, honestly, anything other than that "pass time" button.
  • something to read, comic books, journal entries, anything.
  • comic relief
  • refined mechanics for combat
  • a possibility to be able to survive forever
  • refined afflictions
  • Npc teasers

I feel really bad being so cynical, but honestly, I'm just not feeling it anymore. To give you more reference as to what keeps me engaged, one of my favorite games is Unturned because I simply cannot get bored with it. Thank you for reading and Im sorry if I caused some offense with this post.

8 minutes ago, Docterrok said:

Ok, I've survived nearly 500 days on my longest run, so hopefully my complaint has some validity. Sad to say, I've grown tired of this game, don't get me wrong, I love the art style and minimalist approach, but with time, this game becomes a monotonous grind fest, I could even liken it to runescape on that front. Now, this saddens me greatly because I truly see this game as special, and the forum community is great, but this game just gets really boring, I understand that applies to all games, but the sheer lack of engaging things to do makes in-game activities feel like chores. I now play this game not for enjoyment, but for calming myself down. But I want to be scared of wolves, I want to explore and discover, but The Long Dark provides that fear and sense of exploration for only a little while, then, I become bored from just doing vast amounts of nothing, I truly wish I could be entertained by this ha,e for longer than a few days. I feel bad for being so critical, but something has to change. I've taken a break from playing after I went on a shooting rampage while naked and fought some wolves with a knife, even then, as my health was at 5% and I was surrounded by wolf corpses, I realized, "this game isn't fun anymore." That saddened me, and I'm telling you this because this may very well be my last post. The story I started in the fanfic forum will eventually fade, my content will go unnoticed, and eventually, my interest for this game as a whole will completely fade into the long dark...

unless...

I actually view this game as fun once more, this can be done in many ways, I don't want to threaten my support for this game unless you add things, but these are my suggestions to make me engaged once more.

• make animals way more dangerous, I don't want to be able to kill entire wolfpackw naked with a pry bar
  • give us things to do, home decorations, cards, whittling, honestly, anything other than that "pass time" button.
  • something to read, comic books, journal entries, anything.
  • comic relief
  • refined mechanics for combat
  • a possibility to be able to survive forever
  • refined afflictions
  • Npc teasers

I feel really bad being so cynical, but honestly, I'm just not feeling it anymore. To give you more reference as to what keeps me engaged, one of my favorite games is Unturned because I simply cannot get bored with it. Thank you for reading and Im sorry if I caused some offense with this post.

man!! 
that means you won't post anymore????????????????????

what happened for "white shroud"?

3 minutes ago, Rifleman said:

When I get bored of the long dark I just revisit when a new update comes out

That's the thing, a game should not be defined as fun just by its updates, I want to be engaged. Not patient for updates that I get bored with in a few days.

1 minute ago, Docterrok said:

That's the thing, a game should not be defined as fun just by its updates, I want to be engaged. Not patient for updates that I get bored with in a few days.

You do realize this is still in Alpha, and has a long way to go still mechanics wise. Also the sandbox has never been the primary focus. Just a test bed for the mechanics to make story mode work.

But anyway, bye...

1 minute ago, Docterrok said:

For me games are fun when they are new and updates keep the game fresh

2 minutes ago, miah999 said:

You do realize this is still in Alpha, and has a long way to go still mechanics wise. Also the sandbox has never been the primary focus. Just a test bed for the mechanics to make story mode work.

But anyway, bye...

I understand that, but there's a difference between patience and waiting for years for a game that hasn't advanced that much, I don't want to sound pushy, but why can't things like engagement be addressed, am I wrong for viewing this game as boring? It's as if the long dark is the video game equivalent of Sisyphus. It seems to progress at a agonizing crawl and that truly makes me sad. 

Just now, Docterrok said:

It's as if the long dark is the video game equivalent of Sisyphus. It seems to progress at a agonizing crawl and that truly makes me sad. 

For a small team, they actually added a lot of stuff into the game. They are already working on an update for August. Not only that, they are looking for more people to join the development of the game.

1 minute ago, alone sniper said:

not to play for month will help.

Will it though? I fear I will resume play and be greeted by a game where little has changed. That's my frustration with it, I get bored from the sheer, for lack of a better word, nothing-ness.

5 minutes ago, Docterrok said:

Will it though? I fear I will resume play and be greeted by a game where little has changed. That's my frustration with it, I get bored from the sheer, for lack of a better word, nothing-ness.

about a year ago (i think). 
i start to play TLD but i got some issue with computer and i put the game away. 

5 mouth latter I decided to play game. and got a newest vision. 
and i am addicted. 

and i feel a little bit like you now. 

16 minutes ago, Docterrok said:

I understand that, but there's a difference between patience and waiting for years for a game that hasn't advanced that much, I don't want to sound pushy, but why can't things like engagement be addressed, am I wrong for viewing this game as boring? It's as if the long dark is the video game equivalent of Sisyphus. It seems to progress at a agonizing crawl and that truly makes me sad. 

Sorry to hear you find yourself so bored with the game. As for the Sisyphus comparison, well, good (not to mention great) things take time in this world to accomplish. I think we all know that. :)  Sisyphus was engaged in a task that was purposely punishing and futile, banished to Hades for all eternity. I'd like to think our work, and indeed The Long Dark itself, is little more clear-eyed than that? As I'm sure you know from following development, minimalism has always been a key goal for design in the game--it's not meant to be all things to all people. In fact it's a part of the experience itself. 

I would also say your statement that the "game hasn't advanced that much" might be just a bit off-base. But I'm not sure of the exact context in which you mean it. The Sandbox Mode has changed dramatically in the last 12 months, at least from where I am sitting. But again, you may have different expectations that aren't clear to me. 

In any case I hope you stick around the forums (if you want to of course!) and that you check back in on the game as we work to add more content to it and it continues to grow. As I'm sure you know, we don't typically talk about upcoming features too much ahead of time as we like them to be a surprise, but the team's work continues, both on Story Mode and Sandbox mode.

Thanks for letting us know where you stand. :coffee:

5 minutes ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Sorry to hear you find yourself so bored with the game. As for the Sisyphus comparison, well, good (not to mention great) things take time in this world to accomplish. I think we all know that. :)  Sisyphus was engaged in a task that was purposely punishing and futile, banished to Hades for all eternity. I'd like to think our work, and indeed The Long Dark itself, is little more clear-eyed than that? As I'm sure you know from following development, minimalism has always been a key goal for design in the game--it's not meant to be all things to all people. In fact it's a part of the experience itself. 

I would also say your statement that the "game hasn't advanced that much" might be just a bit off-base. But I'm not sure of the exact context in which you mean it. The Sandbox Mode has changed dramatically in the last 12 months, at least from where I am sitting. But again, you may have different expectations that aren't clear to me. 

In any case I hope you stick around the forums (if you want to of course!) and that you check back in on the game as we work to add more content to it and it continues to grow. As I'm sure you know, we don't typically talk about upcoming features too much ahead of time as we like them to be a surprise, but the team's work continues, both on Story Mode and Sandbox mode.

Thank you, that is nice, I'd like to apologize for my ignorance. But I want to be engaged, I don't know how to express it.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Carlson said:

don't know about you @Docterrok
But i am convinced ! 

1 hour ago, Docterrok said:

Go. Then come back when it goes gold, or when the story mode is out.  No sense grinding on a game you feel done with.  Its not like there aren't thousands of very good other games to play.

1 hour ago, Docterrok said:

As for advancement, I don't feel like things are new to the game, it's just, there.

I assume this is because you haven't experienced more than a few months of game development (at least if your forum activity somehow reflects your playing activity). That's a bit like watching the same 5 minutes of a 2 hour film over and over again and complaining nothing "new" happens.

Had you played TLD right from the first alpha release version until now, you would recognize massive changes regarding all game aspects imaginable. From tremendous UI improvements to animal AI and from game mechanics to graphics almost nothing has remained static since 2014.

But well, I'm aware patience and foresight are rare commodities these days.

Move on if you feel like it, but please try not to be unfair towards the Devs. They can't do magic and I for one find it extremely disrespectful to complain about a lack of changes if you refuse to observe the game development for a decent amount of time (and I'm talking about at the very least 6-12 months here, not just some weeks). 

Archived