Lanterns

Tarflink

Howdy,  So i'm new to the game.  I've only had it for a few weeks, and i'm totally hooked.

1 thing I would like to see is being able to empty lanterns of fuel, there seems to be an over abundance of lanters around.  But you can't get the fuel out when u find new ones.  I hate carrying 2 or 3 around just to use em and harvest em when thier empty.

Thoughts?

I absolutely agree. In fact I like the idea of harvesting not only the lantern fuel but also the fuel from abandoned cars. Come to think of it, while not a fuel source, you should be able to drain fresh water from the water heater tanks in the basement. 

55 minutes ago, Tarflink said:

My bad.  While it dosen't say anything in the actions screen on the Harvest option, you do get the kerosean? back + the scrap metal.   (think I spelled that kerosene? wrong......?)

When you harvest the lantern, the kerosine will automatically be pleaced in you inventory. I know it only says you harvest scrap metal in the 'harvest window', but the kerosine is harvested. You will find a jerrycan in your inventory afterwards, if you already had a jerrycan in inventory, the fuell will just be added.

On 17.7.2016 at 6:07 PM, Cosquake said:

I absolutely agree. In fact I like the idea of harvesting not only the lantern fuel but also the fuel from abandoned cars. Come to think of it, while not a fuel source, you should be able to drain fresh water from the water heater tanks in the basement. 

Lamps burn kerosene not gas. maybe gas could be used to make torches ?  water heater tanks would be frozen solid. it is -40 in pleasant valley and that is on a good day :)

Water Heater tanks wouldnt freeze before the toilets, and you can get water from those, HOWEVER, c'mon guys, getting water is as easy as building a fire and melting some snow. Trust me on this, you wouldnt wanna drink what comes outta the bottem of a water heater, if its been sitting very long. after the first 5 gallons or so, it comes fairly clear, but there is SO much bacteria and crap in water heaters. 

Just now, TROY said:

Water Heater tanks wouldnt freeze before the toilets, and you can get water from those, HOWEVER, c'mon guys, getting water is as easy as building a fire and melting some snow. Trust me on this, you wouldnt wanna drink what comes outta the bottem of a water heater, if its been sitting very long. after the first 5 gallons or so, it comes fairly clear, but there is SO much bacteria and crap in water heaters. 

Although we are going completely out of topic I believe, maybe couldn't we boil the Water Heater water? 

Just now, TROY said:

OR, we could just boil the "melted snow" water

Yup. Although melting snow takes a lot more time than boiling it. Also, I could quickly get some water from the Heater and purify it with the kit, without having to light a fire. It would help me so much in many situations in which I was out of wood or trying to save some for later.

Just now, ArcherAC3 said:

Yup. Although melting snow takes a lot more time than boiling it. Also, I could quickly get some water from the Heater and purify it with the kit, without having to light a fire. It would help me so much in many situations in which I was out of wood or trying to save some for later.

LMAO!!!!  oh my word! Water is THE most abundant resource in the game, with wood, a very close second. And there are what, maybe 4 water heaters in the entire game? in vastly scattered and distant to each other locations. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!  I'm sorry, I'm not being mean, I just find this wicked laughable. Of all the things to ask for, water from the rusty, nasty, basement heaters.

Just now, TROY said:

LMAO!!!!  oh my word! Water is THE most abundant resource in the game, with wood, a very close second. And there are what, maybe 4 water heaters in the entire game? in vastly scattered and distant to each other locations. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!  I'm sorry, I'm not being mean, I just find this wicked laughable. Of all the things to ask for, water from the rusty, nasty, basement heaters.

I'm not asking for it.  

It just could help, therefore I would have no problems with it, wouldn't be a problem itself (in my opinion), BUT, enabling it is not a main concern of mine.

Sometimes, i throw a bunch of coal onto a super long fire, and just boil the heck out of water the entire day. XD on the first day, Hell froze over, and on the second day, I boiled it. 

As for water-heater water, Im sorry but id much rather take a bit of condition getting the wood to melt snow.

What I want to see is the ability to store water in bulk

the toilet reservoirs as an example

As for the lantern fuel. We used to get fuel from harvested lanterns in the olden days but they removed it.

10 hours ago, vancopower said:

Lamps burn kerosene not gas. maybe gas could be used to make torches ?  water heater tanks would be frozen solid. it is -40 in pleasant valley and that is on a good day :)

Ah okay, well there a great number of ways to use gasoline mainly for starting fires. Maybe at some point they could add in a chainsaw (gas powered), make cutting wood a million times easier. As far as the water heater goes, you're right, given enough time the water may reach the point where it will freeze. Although, seeing that the Devs have no problem with us drinking water out of toilets, whats wrong with the water heater? Especially since the average water heater holds up to 50 gallons of fresh water. Anyway, thanks for your input feedback is always welcome. :D 

On 17 July 2016 at 1:56 AM, Tarflink said:

Howdy,  So i'm new to the game.  I've only had it for a few weeks, and i'm totally hooked.

1 thing I would like to see is being able to empty lanterns of fuel, there seems to be an over abundance of lanters around.  But you can't get the fuel out when u find new ones.  I hate carrying 2 or 3 around just to use em and harvest em when thier empty.

Thoughts?

Nice idea 

+1

18 hours ago, Cosquake said:

Ah okay, well there a great number of ways to use gasoline mainly for starting fires. Maybe at some point they could add in a chainsaw (gas powered), make cutting wood a million times easier. As far as the water heater goes, you're right, given enough time the water may reach the point where it will freeze. Although, seeing that the Devs have no problem with us drinking water out of toilets, whats wrong with the water heater? Especially since the average water heater holds up to 50 gallons of fresh water. Anyway, thanks for your input feedback is always welcome. :D 

the whole water tank does not need to be frozen just the pipes but then again you can cut through them with the saw. I think that water heater water will be too much overpowering. Maybe if they introduce container system instead of infinite water bottles it will make sense. Otherwise it is game braking to have all this water for free but it is real. 

59 minutes ago, vancopower said:

the whole water tank does not need to be frozen just the pipes but then again you can cut through them with the saw. I think that water heater water will be too much overpowering. Maybe if they introduce container system instead of infinite water bottles it will make sense. Otherwise it is game braking to have all this water for free but it is real. 

Well someone pointed out earlier that the water heater is sort of a waste of time unless you decide to live somewhere that has one. ie. the basement or whatever. In any case, I only suggested the idea because it seems to me that the player should be able to harvest water from one as you can do with the toilets. I think its the little details in this game that show how much time and thought went into its development.  

1 minute ago, Cosquake said:

Well someone pointed out earlier that the water heater is sort of a waste of time unless you decide to live somewhere that has one. ie. the basement or whatever. In any case, I only suggested the idea because it seems to me that the player should be able to harvest water from one as you can do with the toilets. I think its the little details in this game that show how much time and thought went into its development.  

I agree water should be the next thing that devs should concentrate on. Having magic bottles it's fun but kind game braking the next update should be all about the water problems: water heaters, fishing huts water etc ... and off course limited water containers. It will be nice edition to the forge too, Forged water pots and so on.

Archived