Animals need sleep and shelter too!!!

Docterrok

Okay, before I begin, let me tell you a story.

i was in mystery lake, picking cat tails, and a wolf magically spawned right in front of me and mauled me.... I then died...

but I have a solution!

Make a den or a hole in the snow that wolves immerge out of at certain times, then you know when you see a pack come out of a lair, you stay away from that area. Here's how I think it should go.

• Rabbits have rabbit holes 
  • bears sleep in caves, so if your quiet, you can sneak past them
  • wolves have lairs that they emerge from.

i understand this would require more animation and work, but it so unimmersive when a wolf teleports near me and mauls me. This also makes exploration more exciting because you have to watch out for sleeping animals inside dens! What do you think?

16 hours ago, Docterrok said:

i was in mystery lake, picking cat tails, and a wolf magically spawned right in front of me and mauled me.... I then died...

but I have a solution!

Make a den or a hole in the snow that wolves immerge out of at certain times, then you know when you see a pack come out of a lair, you stay away from that area. Here's how I think it should go.

i understand this would require more animation and work, but it so unimmersive when a wolf teleports near me and mauls me. This also makes exploration more exciting because you have to watch out for sleeping animals inside dens! What do you think?

Ive seen bears sleep in caves. Twice.

On 16 July 2016 at 3:35 AM, Docterrok said:

I didn't say they teleport I said that they spawned 

On 16/7/2016 at 2:35 PM, Docterrok said:

but I have a solution!

I'm definitely up for this. I think it would add a lot of immersion to the game. Specially on the maybe not finding the animals because they are in their den, which makes hunting a little harder. 

21 minutes ago, CarolinaSantAngelo said:

I'm definitely up for this. I think it would add a lot of immersion to the game. Specially on the maybe not finding the animals because they are in their den, which makes hunting a little harder. 

my point exactly

7 minutes ago, miah999 said:

The remains of their victims...

Definitely, although i would keep it PG 13 as they do have T rating. But maybe their ragged backpacks could be there. Anything that was food would not make it unless they were cans but other things the wolves wouldn't pay attention to could be there.  Going into dens would be a complicated thing. You would never know if its habitants are there or if they are coming home

First, wolves do not move as pack unless they are going somewhere specific, bulk of the pack remains stationary, while scouts are looking for prey.

Second, wolves don use dens in the winter. In fact they only use dens when they have pups. Depending on the size of the pack, they control large territories and to stay fed they need to move around. And with larger packs controlling areas of hundreds square kilometers staying at same location all the time simply doesnt make sense. They go where food is and once prey becomes scarce, they simply move on.

And third, crap like entrance to the den is littered with bones and various garbage only happens in the movies. Carnivores dont eat in the same area where they sleep/live(why to hell would they drag carcasses there to begin with). In comparison to humans, their understanding of hygiene is simple yet extremely effective. And having pieces of meat, bones, hide pieces, etc laying around attracts unwanted attention and diseases.

6 minutes ago, Dirmagnos said:

First, wolves do not move as pack unless they are going somewhere specific, bulk of the pack remains stationary, while scouts are looking for prey.

Second, wolves don use dens in the winter. In fact they only use dens when they have pups. Depending on the size of the pack, they control large territories and to stay fed they need to move around. And with larger packs controlling areas of hundreds square kilometers staying at same location all the time simply doesnt make sense. They go where food is and once prey becomes scarce, they simply move on.

And third, crap like entrance to the den is littered with bones and various garbage only happens in the movies. Carnivores dont eat in the same area where they sleep/live(why to hell would they drag carcasses there to begin with). In comparison to humans, their understanding of hygiene is simple yet extremely effective. And having pieces of meat, bones, hide pieces, etc laying around attracts unwanted attention and diseases.

what about bears and rabbits though? Surely they use shelter? Rabbit holes should exist at least.

Just now, Docterrok said:

what about bears and rabbits though? Surely they use shelter? Rabbit holes should exist at least.

Rabbit holes would make sense. Finding bear den in the winter is next to impossible. Caves in game that serve as their "dens" are a joke.

1 minute ago, Docterrok said:

i'm just sick and tired of the random teleporting animals, anyone have a better idea?

I have no problem with running away in 90% of cases. Once had wolf spawning right in front of me, i turned and pedaled it. Got away easy.

1 minute ago, Dirmagnos said:

Rabbit holes would make sense. Finding bear den in the winter is next to impossible. Caves in game that serve as their "dens" are a joke.

good point, but I wish the animals come out of a certain area at certain times, not just magically apear in front of me. The are not azazel from X-men, they're wolves.

10 minutes ago, Dirmagnos said:

I have no problem with running away in 90% of cases. Once had wolf spawning right in front of me, i turned and pedaled it. Got away easy.

but that isn't realistic at all, we may not agree with most things, but animals sleep, and they don't sleep in the cold to freeze, they finds some pine boughs or something. Rest, shelter, and specific areas wolves hang around in are realistic, I hunt coyotes on my property, and I kid you not one of them used a rabbit den as shelter. They need warmth, they need sleep, and while you may run away, I shouldn't have to deal with magic in a game that doesn't have any. Wolves, bears, and rabbits don't stay awake forever, nor do they have antifreeze in there blood. so at the very least make there spawn centered in one area, like a pine bough or a knoll in a tree or a thicket, not on a lake out of no where, as for your point on bears, there have been instances of hikers accidentally stumbling upon a bear cave, its not even next to impossible, in fact, one black bear stops by my house every now and then to eat from my garden (I live in Wyoming) It then goes off into the woods, I've seen it twice so far, and about five years ago I saw another black bear sleeping in a pine bough not to far from my home. I've dealt with bears, and they, believe it or not, use shelter, same goes for coyotes, in which I deal with on nearly a daily basis.

Archived