Why I love my keymappings (and they aren't the defaults)

Ruruwawa

(Caveats: This post is about keymappings for the PC version of the game.  I'm an English speaker using an English keyboard layout.)

Some time has passed since the big UI changes in v321 and, like a lot of the long term players on this forum, I've settled on a keymapping scheme that works for me.  I'm not trying to change anyone else's preferences here.  But I thought I'd share anyway, because I think my reasons for not using the default mappings may resonate with others.

The only keys I remap are backpack (inventory), radial menuholster and survival panel.  My overall goal is to get all frequently-used mappings under my left hand, so  I don't have to take my right hand off the mouse to do common tasks.

Backpack = Tab (default is 'I').  To use 'i' I have to take my hand off the mouse, so that's not optimal.  Since quite a few of the other games I play use Tab for inventory, I don't have to learn a special mapping for this game.  Also, Tab used to be the backpack key prior to v321.  Old habits... :)

Radial menu = 'e'  (default is Space).  To use the radial menu you must hold down the key, and I love, love, love having it under my strong index finger.  (This one change made the radial menu feel much more natural for me!)  No hand movement required either; I just move the finger up from the W key.

Holster = 'q' (default is 'h').  Again, I don't have to move my hand.  I just move my third finger up from the A key.  Also, as a mnemonic 'q' (for quit) isn't too hard to remember.

Survival panel = Space  (default is Tab).  Two reasons for this change, and one I've already explained -- I like Tab for inventory.  But the second reason is even stronger: Space is perfect for the survival panel.  I check it very often and my thumb is already hanging out over the space bar so Space is very quick to tap in the middle of whatever I'm doing, with no hand movement at all.  (I think those are the same reasons Space is used for jumping in so many games.)

I hope this was interesting for folks.  YMMV based on your own habits, language and keyboard layout.  :geek:

I have remapped most actions that need to be performed quickly (e.g. running, crouching, equipping a flare, dropping decoys, etc.) to the side keys of my naga hex mouse simply because I'm used to do that in pretty much every game I play. (My "running" key in TLD is thus the same as in Witcher 3, TLD's "crouch" is bound to the same key as dodging in W3, "ranged weapon" corresponds with "igni" and so on.) 

For everything that doesn't need to be done as fast as possible (e.g. having a look at the inventory or radial menu) I just use the default keybindings.

I'm happy that TLD allows you to remap everything to your own preferences. The only thing I'm really missing is an emergency stim hotkey for that's definitely the most urgent thing you might ever have to use. :normal:

9 minutes ago, Scyzara said:

I have remapped most actions that need to be performed quickly (e.g. running, crouching, equipping a flare, dropping decoys, etc.) to the side keys of my naga hex mouse simply because I'm used to do that in pretty much every game I play. (My "running" key in TLD is thus the same as in Witcher 3, TLD's "crouch" is bound to the same key as dodging in W3, "ranged weapon" corresponds with "igni" and so on.) 

For everything that doesn't need to be done as fast as possible (e.g. having a look at the inventory or radial menu) I just use the default keybindings.

I'm happy that TLD allows you to remap everything to your own preferences. The only thing I'm really missing is an emergency stim hotkey for that's definitely the most urgent thing you might ever have to use. :normal:

I tried a naga but too many buttons for me (just personal preference).  Have a 6 button mouse but my shared-across-games mappings don't apply to TLD (auto-run, dodge and set target).  My pick-up-item(s) button could work, except TLD doesn't support that as a keymapping.

Now that I've played with stims a bit I agree: they deserve their own keymapping.  Maybe '5' by default.

My mapping is pre-radial menu.  I like the idea of swapping that higher up and placing survival on spacebar, may copy that if I start to play more.

My inventory became q.

My campfire became f.

My holster became e.

I have been thinking lately that I need to get drop bait off the 3 key so I can walk and drop at the same time but by the time this annoys me enough to think of it again I've always been done paying attention to the game for the week. 

17 hours ago, selfless said:

My mapping is pre-radial menu.  I like the idea of swapping that higher up and placing survival on spacebar, may copy that if I start to play more.

My inventory became q.

My campfire became f.

My holster became e.

I have been thinking lately that I need to get drop bait off the 3 key so I can walk and drop at the same time but by the time this annoys me enough to think of it again I've always been done paying attention to the game for the week. 

Hmmm good idea to move Drop Bait to an easier to reach key.   I'm gonna think about where that might feel better for me.

There's a lot to be said for Inventory on 'q' too.  Definitely a better key, and I use inventory a lot just for the status info.  I guess I keep hoping they'll make the information in the Survival Panel richer.

Specifically, I'd love to see carry weight in the Survival Panel.  That would cut the number of times I open my backpack in half.

On 6.6.2016 at 3:24 PM, Ruruwawa said:

(Caveats: This post is about keymappings for the PC version of the game.  I'm an English speaker using an English keyboard layout.)

Some time has passed since the big UI changes in v321 and, like a lot of the long term players on this forum, I've settled on a keymapping scheme that works for me.  I'm not trying to change anyone else's preferences here.  But I thought I'd share anyway, because I think my reasons for not using the default mappings may resonate with others.

The only keys I remap are backpack (inventory), radial menuholster and survival panel.  My overall goal is to get all frequently-used mappings under my left hand, so  I don't have to take my right hand off the mouse to do common tasks.

Backpack = Tab (default is 'I').  To use 'i' I have to take my hand off the mouse, so that's not optimal.  Since quite a few of the other games I play use Tab for inventory, I don't have to learn a special mapping for this game.  Also, Tab used to be the backpack key prior to v321.  Old habits... :)

Radial menu = 'e'  (default is Space).  To use the radial menu you must hold down the key, and I love, love, love having it under my strong index finger.  (This one change made the radial menu feel much more natural for me!)  No hand movement required either; I just move the finger up from the W key.

Holster = 'q' (default is 'h').  Again, I don't have to move my hand.  I just move my third finger up from the A key.  Also, as a mnemonic 'q' (for quit) isn't too hard to remember.

Survival panel = Space  (default is Tab).  Two reasons for this change, and one I've already explained -- I like Tab for inventory.  But the second reason is even stronger: Space is perfect for the survival menu.  I check it very often and my thumb is already hanging out over the space bar so Space is very quick to tap in the middle of whatever I'm doing, with no hand movement at all.  (I think those are the same reasons Space is used for jumping in so many games.)

I hope this was interesting for folks.  YMMV based on your own habits, language and keyboard layout.  :geek:

While most of the things regarding controls are a very subjective matter that boil down to your personal conditioning, games you have played and so on and so forth, there are some guidelines that usually always fit.

I find it very self assuring that back in the days when we played Doom and Quake on LAN, I customized my controls exactly the way it is now the standard for 90% of the 1st person shooters. So when the first games had their movement controls mapped to the arrow keys, I felt it was already a big step forward to go with WASD. So many more keys in reach!

But the default mapping always came with crap like "e" for jump and "c" for crouch, basically forcing your to let go of the WASD main-control keys to perform those actions. So I figured it would make much more sense to place stuff like crouch on CTRL and jump on SPACE, while buttons like "use" (which is usually not pressed simultaniously with the WASD movement) went to keys like F, E or Q, since you could afford to shortly lift your finger away from a strafe key.

Yes, I am old....  Goold old times, and I know I am ranting totally off topic here. Sorry for that. :D

What I wanted to get at is, that the golden rule boiled down to: Whatever action that is required to be performed whilst moving your character should be mapped to a key that can be reached with the thumb or litte-finger. 

So I agree with you that putting the current TAB status menu on space is probably the best course of action and it would make sense to have it as the default control. Inventory and radial actions on the other hand, are things you never do whilst moving your character thus they are more open to discussion.

@Dreepa Yep, I agree with your reasoning.  I chose to put the radial menu and holster on E and Q because I use them a lot when I'm in the great, risky outdoors.  I might not be moving that the very instant but these are tasks I want to complete ASAP.  Setting a trap, lighting a flare, laying out a bedroll, etc.

On 6.6.2016 at 6:46 PM, Ruruwawa said:

I tried a naga but too many buttons for me (just personal preference).

I don't like the original naga, either (for the same reason), but the naga hex has only six sidebuttons and 12 buttons alltogether. :normal:

razer-naga-hex.jpg

Plus - and that's really an important factor as a female gamer, I tell you^^ - it's a rather small mouse that fits into my hand perfectly.

Most gaming mouses (which are presumably mainly designed with male hand dimensions in mind) are so bulky it's a nightmare for me to use them because I have to spread my fingers in a completely unnatural way. Which is pretty painful in the long run, ofc.

So I'm really happy I've found the naga hex a few years ago. Hope they never stop producing it, for I will never stop buying it. xD

4 hours ago, Scyzara said:

I don't like the original naga, either (for the same reason), but the naga hex has only six sidebuttons and 12 buttons alltogether. :normal:

razer-naga-hex.jpg

Plus - and that's really an important factor as a female gamer, I tell you^^ - it's a rather small mouse that fits into my hand perfectly.

Most gaming mouses (which are presumably mainly designed with male hand dimensions in mind) are so bulky it's a nightmare for me to use them because I have to spread my fingers in a completely unnatural way. Which is pretty painful in the long run, ofc.

So I'm really happy I've found the naga hex a few years ago. Hope they never stop producing it, for I will never stop buying it. xD

Oh very interesting... this might be my next mouse (I tend to wear them out pretty fast :)),  I use a gaming mouse (for DPI -- I need fast turns for the competitive game modes I play). but my current (cheap) one has only three buttons on the side.  I'm also a female gamer so mouse size is a huge factor me too.  Thanks for the tip!

6 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

Thanks for the tip!

You're welcome, I just hope it's going to suit your needs. :normal:

1 hour ago, hauteecolerider said:

How long do these mice last you? I'm thinking of something for Skyrim/Oblivion when I run in Boot Camp (Win7).

I bought mine about four years ago, never had any problems with it so far.

But I have to admit I'm not playing any particularly click-intensive games (apart from TLD^^) and tend to click rather gentle in general. 

It's not a cheap mouse for sure, but it's certainly very durable (at least for my kind of use).:normal:

29 minutes ago, Scyzara said:

I bought mine about four years ago, never had any problems with it so far.

I've become sort of a mouse fetishist if that exists and I am very particular about my mouse settings, the handling and especially how my hand rests on it because I am mostly a palm-grip user. I also use the side buttons alot and I tend to continously keep right mouse button pressed in many different games. Having said that, I will never ever buy a Razor mouse again. Not because I didn't like it, it feels perfect for my mouse handling style but the quality is just shiat.

First I had a Deathadder which I loved, it is still the mouse my hand was most comfortable with, it felt as it was build especially for me. Saddly after 18 months the spring of the most crucial thumb side button broke, making the button no longer usable. Then I thought I throw even more money at Razor and bought a Mamba which was also a great mouse until the right mouse button stopped working after only 12 months, many fluffies killed me in TLD because I was aiming with the rifle and suddenly I wasn't :( . Fortunately it was still under warranty and I could get myself a new mouse.

This time though I bought a Logitech G502 and never looked back. It feels almost as comfortable as the Deathadder, has tons of features (exchangeable weights, tuning software, build in memory...) and the coolest feature I never knew that I wanted it: you can press a button to switch the scrolling wheel to free-scrolling without friction, perfect for scrolling down long pages with a single scroll. But the best thing is: you get all this for half the price of a Mamba:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/logitech-g502-proteus-core,review-2138.html

It is kinda ironic that I never had any problem with any "cheap" mouse but both "really-not-cheap" gaming mice I bought broke within less than two years. Let's see how long the G502 will keep on going ;)

Um sry for going slightly off-topic. Ontopic: After several hundred hours in TLD I am so accustomed to the present layout that I don't feel the urge to change anything, except maybe for the radial menu, I really don't like to use space for it either.

As a left-handed gamer, I've always hated the WASD default setup and changing the controls is the first thing I do when I first start any game.

The configuration that works well for me, put simply, has the movement controls near the center of the keyboard.

The other controls are within a fingers reach of my right hand so my left hand never leaves the mouse:

Equip Light source, start fire, and drop decoy are in a line just above the movement controls.

Holster is one key to the left of Move Left and Radial Menu is under my thumb, with crouch and sprint right next to it.

Inventory is under my pinky finger.

All are always easy to access.

I've set spacebar to Use/Interact/Shoot.

Survival Panel is middle mouse button so I can access the info quickly at any time to help me assess every moment of every situation and I'll say this: it's saved my life seeing sudden drastic temperature changes.

As a left-handed gamer, I've always hated the WASD default setup and changing the controls is the first thing I do when I first start any game.

The configuration that works well for me, put simply, has the movement controls near the center of the keyboard.

Ha! A fellow leftie. Myself, I find the number keypad most convenient for movement, crouching, running. But I've left other keys as is.

Layout makes it somewhat inconvenient to reach surrounding keys, althhough 'Page Down', '->' and '0/Ins' would be feasible options, I guess. I don't want to touch Num Lock through, (only to ask myself later why the keypad isn't working as expected...).

But maybe I'll experiment a little, optimize my controls.

2 hours ago, TWM said:

Ha! A fellow leftie. Myself, I find the number keypad most convenient for movement, crouching, running. But I've left other keys as is.

Layout makes it somewhat inconvenient to reach surrounding keys, althhough 'Page Down', '->' and '0/Ins' would be feasible options, I guess. I don't want to touch Num Lock through, (only to ask myself later why the keypad isn't working as expected...).

But maybe I'll experiment a little, optimize my controls.

Yes! Experimenting with different configurations is it exactly what I did until I got it to where I could perform functions without my eyes ever leaving the screen and my hands never leaving the controls they were "attached to." ;)

I wish more game developers designed the controls to be ambidextrous instead of right hand oriented. Oh well, we make do anyhow :P

I use the same controls for all first person games with only very minor differences.  For example, the key I use for "drop bait" in The Long Dark is the key I use for selecting/dropping landmines in Fallout games.  

The Open Inventory key, Holster Weapon, Map, etc., controls overlap for many, many games, and for me this system works quite well :)b

Archived