Ice sheets restricting movement? Come on!

TWM

This isn't a technical error per se, but it's a programming issue which creates gameplay issues nevertheless, so I'll post it here (feel free to redirect it if necessery):

Some ice sheets at lakes and bays function as barriers, especially when the player approches them from the side that's sticking out of the ice. You'd think you could just step over them, but you can't. It's like the character doesn't know how to lift his foot up and step over the ledge.

This is terribly restrictive of movement at times, and and not  only annoying, but it could also get you mauled (or worse) when a wolf decides to chase you.

The other day, I was exiting the whaling station and I moved to the two reddish ramps to get on the ice and walk over to the Riken. It's on the other side of the rock (which obscures the ramps). I got spotted by a wolf, so I tried to run away from it and onto the ice. Basically I was trying to get from the whaling yard to where I'm standing in the picture below.

But I couldn't because of all the ice sheets I was unable to step over, so I was forced into a corner, after which I quit the game and restarted from my last save (which meant I had to do some inventory management all over again).

It's not just that spot either. I took the picture below at a point where again, the ice sheet formed a barrier. Now, I understand a capability to jump would require loads of extra programming and testing; but if the player is not permitted to jump, then all these ice sheets shouldn't be made insurmountable. Those ledges are not all that high. One should be able to get over them like you would do the steps of a set of stairs.

screen_1074_17_1177_1629a309_3543_45f4_b

This is the cause for quite some complaints and negative reviews on Steam, so it may warrant a solution. I didn't play Firewatch, but saw a video in which the protagonist climbed over a low obstacle in an elegant way - the camera looked down, he placed a hand on the obstacle and then hauled himself over it. Maybe a solution for TLD as well? This could cause a little fatigue to give players an incentive to walk around obstacles if they have the time.

I have played Firewatch, and the solution they have for navigating low obstacles like those described here is quite immersive and really well done. It would be nice to see something like this in TLD - those little "steps" are irritating when they function as barriers. It's almost like my character has a pathological phobia about stairs --

• 2 weeks later...
On June 5, 2016 at 2:51 PM, Hotzn said:

This is the cause for quite some complaints and negative reviews on Steam, so it may warrant a solution. I didn't play Firewatch, but saw a video in which the protagonist climbed over a low obstacle in an elegant way - the camera looked down, he placed a hand on the obstacle and then hauled himself over it. Maybe a solution for TLD as well? This could cause a little fatigue to give players an incentive to walk around obstacles if they have the time.

I think this is an EXCELLENT idea minus the fatigue.  Just a small animation, and would keep the flow of the game/immersion in check. 

Archived