Crafting Containers

random calliope

Now that everything decays unless it is kept in a container the container space is at a premium.  I suggest we be able to craft containers from logs.  We would need an axe to harvest the wood and split it, a hacksaw to cut the pieces straight, a toolbox to drill peg holes, and a knife to whittle pegs.  

They should each take a couple of days to make with low capacity because our wood is small pieces to start with.

This was inspired by too many decaying guts on the floor at the hut on TWM.  The fishing hut has more storage than the shack on the shore.  Also, there just isn't much to do when you wake up fully rested with four hours left of darkness.  A project to keep our hands and minds busy would be good.

1 hour ago, madrepityu said:

I wonder what is decaying “now” outside of a container that isn’t decayed “before” if kept outside of a container

Guts, for one.  If you drop them in a corner they'll dry then decay until you store them in a container.  Also, I tend to keep deer hides sitting on the work bench, rather than taking up weight in a drawer.  Deer hides stack when you move them around.  The other hides can't overlap when you place them.  You have to drop other hides on the floor to get them to stack.  Those deer hides decay.  All the hides decay until you store them in a container.

6 minutes ago, Dirmagnos said:

Seriously, more i learn about this update, less i like it. Starting with parasites and now this. Magical anti-aging containers.

There was a bug where some items stored in containers were not decaying. That bug has been fixed. Decay rates for interiors are different than exteriors, but if you see something contrary to what we've listed in our updates please report it and we will take a look. 

On 4/29/2016 at 0:53 PM, random calliope said:

Now that everything decays unless it is kept in a container the container space is at a premium.  I suggest we be able to craft containers from logs.  We would need an axe to harvest the wood and split it, a hacksaw to cut the pieces straight, a toolbox to drill peg holes, and a knife to whittle pegs.  

They should each take a couple of days to make with low capacity because our wood is small pieces to start with.

This was inspired by too many decaying guts on the floor at the hut on TWM.  The fishing hut has more storage than the shack on the shore.  Also, there just isn't much to do when you wake up fully rested with four hours left of darkness.  A project to keep our hands and minds busy would be good.

The roadmap lists 'primitive shelters' as a development goal, so presumably they'll have to incorporate some sort of system for building stuff out of wood. Perhaps containers could follow from that, using the same or similar mechanics.

On 2016. 04. 29. at 8:29 PM, random calliope said:

Guts, for one.  If you drop them in a corner they'll dry then decay until you store them in a container.  Also, I tend to keep deer hides sitting on the work bench, rather than taking up weight in a drawer.  Deer hides stack when you move them around.  The other hides can't overlap when you place them.  You have to drop other hides on the floor to get them to stack.  Those deer hides decay.  All the hides decay until you store them in a container.

Thanks for the info! I didn't play much since the last update, and I had no idea about guts and hide degradation. I checked out my hides and guts, since I read your reply, and yeah, they're definitely decaying.

Archived