Looking for fun things to do

Axe

I'm sure that like most other players, every so often I find myself looking for something more to do. Once you've collected enough resources to last a a while, you take a look at your wood pile and ask "Do I really need more wood?". You have a bunch of furs piled up in a corner, meat on the counter, if you went hunting the meat would likely go off before you could eat it. You've made all the arrows you could, sharpened anything that could possibly need sharpening, fixed whatever needed fixing...

What follows are some suggestions of things you could do to beat the clock in between your survival activities. What about making some wood carvings from all that extra wood and then placing them on a shelf, for no other purpose than to pass time and for aesthetics. With all those pallets, crates and furniture I'm sure I'd have enough wood, nails and screws to build something, like maybe a birdfeeder, which I can put morsels of meat in for the crows and then they'd drop some crow feathers every time they come eat. How about building a snowman, and adorning him with coal, scarfs, a hat and twigs for arms, and then using him as target practice for my bow and arrow. I would not even mind carrying out some repairs to my cabin ever so often to patch things up. How about finding a taxidermy kit and putting some trophies of the animals you've killed on the cabin wall, fish, deer, wolf wall mounts. Making deer antler knife handles. Making leather sheaths for my knife and axe so the blade lasts longer. How about sketching in my journal rather than just typing, so I could make some crude maps of each area in my journal and mark off houses I've searched. Go sledding down slopes while trying to throw snowballs at rabbits or other wildlife <- this one's just for fun. Carve faces on the trees or even messages. Using old charcoal from the stove to draw pictures on pieces of paper and then sticking them on the wall. Building a gun rest for my rifle.  ... and as always I still need a spade to bury the dead people, its just wrong having them lay about like that in the same cabin as me for so many months.

47 minutes ago, Axe said:

How about building a snowman, and adorning him with coal, scarfs, a hat and twigs for arms, and then using him as target practice for my bow and arrow.

LOL! +1 to making snowman's!

Yeah, I've been there, nothing to do when you've collected all the things you need, crafted everything you need crafting and maintained everything that needs to be maintained. In the current build we do lack things to do in this situation. It's one of the reasons I haven't played much in the last few months.

PS. your post would be much easier to read if you made a list of all your suggestions in stead of one long paragraph.

The fight against boredom: The final frontier!

I share most of your ideas. I thought a lot about carving in trees, it would make perfect sense and it sounds like a valid survival / orientation tool. Tons of different crafting recipes could be added so we do a better use of the animal carcasses. 

2 hours ago, Vhalkyrie said:

I'd also like more stuff to make with animal hides. I have dozens and dozens of rabbit hides - more than I need for repairs.  More craftable items from hides, please!

+1

I'd like to collect all the books and read them. Read the newspapers, too, before I turn them into tinder.

I'd also like the option to experiment with new recipes. I love cooking IRL, and one of my favorite things to do in Skyrim is - you guessed it - cooking! 

Other chemistry experiments would be coming up with tanning solutions for the hides to make them more pliable or stiffer (body armor, anyone?). New ways to use fat. 

Of course, I am dying to sit down during those quiet times! Just to be able to build a fire and sit next to it, either tailor fashion, or in an easy chair. 

I like the idea of reading a book in game. However writing a book just for the game would be hard work, however after a quick google search I managed to find quite a few copyright free sources using the search words "short stories public domain". I managed to not only find short stories but classical literature and even poetry. This might be the easy way to go.

Hey and if its a bad read, you don't have to feel bad about burning it :)

Does anyone else have some ideas of things that could be added to the game to do during 'leisure time'?

Most people seem pre-occupied with how long they can survive. I'm hoping to get quality days rather than quantity of days. I don't want to be writing 'slept all day' in my journal, every day should have a something worth writing about!

I'd like to be able to just relax every now and then. Like sitting down next to a cosy campfire with a glass of good whiskey, enjoying the sunset over the mountains/ ocean. Something like that.

Crafting certain items that serve no purpose other than passing time and providing some things to liven up your shelter, like carving things out of wood would be nice too. And of course actually reading a book would be awesome.

Some things I already do when I'm not in need of anything:

• Take a walk (if the weather is okay) and just enjoy the scenery. TLD is a truly beautiful game (and from the look of the recently released video it will become even more beautiful) and when you are constantly busy gathering supplies I tend to miss that. So taking the time to look at that beautiful world is something I really enjoy.
  • Study animals. Just follow a deer, making sure you keep your distance so they don't notice you. Note the routes they are taking and the times when they can be found at certain locations. This will help you in your future hunting efforts.

On 4/4/2016 at 7:20 AM, Axe said:

I'm sure that like most other players, every so often I find myself looking for something more to do. Once you've collected enough resources to last a a while, you take a look at your wood pile and ask "Do I really need more wood?". You have a bunch of furs piled up in a corner, meat on the counter, if you went hunting the meat would likely go off before you could eat it. You've made all the arrows you could, sharpened anything that could possibly need sharpening, fixed whatever needed fixing...

What follows are some suggestions of things you could do to beat the clock in between your survival activities. What about making some wood carvings from all that extra wood and then placing them on a shelf, for no other purpose than to pass time and for aesthetics. With all those pallets, crates and furniture I'm sure I'd have enough wood, nails and screws to build something, like maybe a birdfeeder, which I can put morsels of meat in for the crows and then they'd drop some crow feathers every time they come eat. How about building a snowman, and adorning him with coal, scarfs, a hat and twigs for arms, and then using him as target practice for my bow and arrow. I would not even mind carrying out some repairs to my cabin ever so often to patch things up. How about finding a taxidermy kit and putting some trophies of the animals you've killed on the cabin wall, fish, deer, wolf wall mounts. Making deer antler knife handles. Making leather sheaths for my knife and axe so the blade lasts longer. How about sketching in my journal rather than just typing, so I could make some crude maps of each area in my journal and mark off houses I've searched. Go sledding down slopes while trying to throw snowballs at rabbits or other wildlife <- this one's just for fun. Carve faces on the trees or even messages. Using old charcoal from the stove to draw pictures on pieces of paper and then sticking them on the wall. Building a gun rest for my rifle.  ... and as always I still need a spade to bury the dead people, its just wrong having them lay about like that in the same cabin as me for so many months.

this is generally the point in my game that I get bored, quit and start a new game. Once i'm done crafting and thanks to the unlimited easy food from wolves the game gets very very easy

I was thinking there should be some long term projects which the player can work on. The idea of repairing the hydrodam has been brought up but I'm not sure if it has to be something that drastic. I'm thinking along the lines of maybe being able to construct a makeshift fishing hut in desolation point as a mini project for players which then allows them to fish there. Building a makeshift hunting blind in the coastal highway which allows you to hunt animals without scaring them off. For Mystery Lake, building a zip line from the forestry lookout to the bottom to at least make getting down fast, if not the lookout then maybe one for the hydrodam to get down to the ice faster since there should be plenty of cable around there. I envision these 'projects' to take more than just a few hours and be something the player can work on over a few days to keep them busy in between surviving by spending a few hours every day working on them.

I also had the idea that players should earn the right to move across different areas rather than just giving them a free run all the way through. This doesn't have to be for every area, but for some of them at least. For example the tree that acts as a bridge in the ravine should be something players have to cut. Another example is having to dig a hole to crawl through in the mine which connects desolation point to the coastal highway. These can be tasks that range from a few hours to a few days and require specific tools which the player has to first obtain. The idea is to make the environment a bit more interactive, so you feel like you have more of an impact on the environment.

I know these may not be necessarily be fun things, but they're certainly things that will keep the player busy, and having some extra things to do can kinda be fun.

how the hell would the game let you make your own unique wood carvings? wow that would be an undertaking, new game just there :)

Maybe an alternative it is craft a pre determined word carving set. what comes to mind is a chess board. Surely that would be doable in some form or other?

HT dev the initial pieces/objects? then generate a cool crafting feature easy lol. Overtime you get to create all pieces to place on your chess board, that you just finished crafting out of two different wood colors.

This could also become expandable with new games that use that board such as backgammon.

Archived