Improved fixing of the animal skin clothing

Wintermute

Hello fellow wanderers,

At the moment I am quite annoyed with my crafted hides. Well, actually I love them a lot, but what troubles me is keeping them warm and useful.

It appears to me that the wolves prefer chewing on my leathers rather than chewing on me. While I lose only very little health in the close encounters, my clothing almost every time loses between 15 and 45% of durability. Now that would also be okay if only I had enough leather to fix them.

Repair costs are rather high as far as I am concerned, I mean, crafting two boots from two deerskins makes sense, but repairing them with one fresh skin gives back only 30% durability? Hmf. :(

I do not know how you feel about it but I am permanently short on deerskins and have wolf skins enough to carpet the whole camp office.

I do understand that keeping the clothes fixed is supposed to keep you busy. But at the moment, it feels to me that I am exclusively busy with deer hunting, trying to maintain my clothing and this is taking a lot of fun out of the game for me. The screenshot shows my current situation - the pants are down to 4% so I stored them for repairs.

llo2nq3r.jpg

My suggestion and big wish for a future update is to be able to downcycle cured hides into pieces of cured leather, and being able to fix any type of clothing with two straps of cured leather & one cured gut OR one hide of the appropriate type and one gut for 30% durability.

As for the recycling, I think it would make sense to get 4 leather out of a bear skin, 3 out of a deer, 2 from a wolf and one from a rabbit skin. That way the player could use wolf (or any other) leather to patch up his industrial boots, deer skin leggings or rabbit mits, and we would not stockpile enough wolf skins to buy back Manhattan from the Dutch Crown every second game!

I hope you see that I am not trying to break the game difficulty. In my opinion, it does make sense that leather from one animal could be used to fix clothing originally crafted from another. I would not suggest that rabbit skin would make good shoe soles, but I guess patching up a torn boot with leather from a different source does make sense in a way.

At this opportunity I would also like ask for a craftable hat added to the game, and also a wolves tail scarf :mrgreen:

I can see this as a good idea, being able to break it down into just leather, and being able to repair my other gear with leather as well.

I might make it cost more leather than the appropriate skin would make to repair the item, but it would likely make me actually repair the wolf skin coat.

I frequently fail to look around closely enough and end up fighting for resources with wolves. Frequently enough that I've never actually repaired a wolf skin coat.

I find that it degrades (wolf fights included) at roughly the same rate as I aquire materials to make a new one.

Drowning in a sea of wolf skins is definitely a Stalker problem.

Solution to both your qualms: Avoid rather than walk directly into wolves.

ADDITIONAL:

Please realize that leather is a whole different production from just dried animal skin.

So anything harvested from our dried skins will not be leather, but rather rawhide strips.

Still a useful crafting product, just not durable or waterproof.

I wonder if we should have the ability to eat such rawhide strips for a couple calories during lean times...

ADDITIONAL:

Please realize that leather is a whole different production from just dried animal skin.

So anything harvested from our dried skins will not be leather, but rather rawhide strips.

I wonder if we should have the ability to eat such rawhide strips for a couple calories during lean times...

This, pretty much.

The "cured (read: dried) hides we can get in-game are not leather, believe me or not. To make leather, you have to remove the hair, scrape the hide to remove follicles and any skin-bits, and rub in a warm mixture of brains and fats. It takes some time to make leather from hides

ADDITIONAL:

This, pretty much.

The "cured (read: dried) hides we can get in-game are not leather, believe me or not. To make leather, you have to remove the hair, scrape the hide to remove follicles and any skin-bits, and rub in a warm mixture of brains and fats. It takes some time to make leather from hides

Oh dang that's right. I completely forgot about how much work leather making is. :?

Well I guess we'll need to decide how much we want to balance realism with playability before we think about this subject any further.

+1

In the past I have introduced the "issue" of lacking deer hide.

Many crafts are requiring leather and many hides are required for repairing.

I have also mentioned the need for each deer to provide 2 hides.

This is something for the devs to consider in the short run if not immediately.

PS: Something also needs to be done for the cured leather, there are no uses for it, its just a waste.

ADDITIONAL:

This, pretty much.

Oh dang that's right. I completely forgot about how much work leather making is. :?

Well I guess we'll need to decide how much we want to balance realism with playability before we think about this subject any further.

Hey, thanks for your feedback.

I guess we're all right in a way.

Like - why would I be limited to craft leggings from deer hide only. I consider wolf hide leggings fancy & warm, too. But the devs decided to make them deer skin and I am cool with that. But that does lead to wolf skins piling up. Noone can tell me that he is able to evade all wolves, and that he has more deer skins than wolf hides. If you manage that and did not find a crate with 500 rounds of ammunition, you're a blessed gamer and I hope you are streaming so hat I can learn from you.

I also agree that making leather is quite a different thing from drying animal skin. When I said downcycle dried hides into cured leather I did not mention that I think this should definitively cost time, crafting times of at least 30 minutes for the rabbit skin should be applied. However, I think we can all agree that for the sake of playability, the true "leather making" process can & should be ignored ... dehairing, fleshing, (brain, oil or vegetable) tanning, boiling- we're not craftsmen living in a busy village, we're a 21st century person lost in the wild!

Personally, I like the "light" crafting system that is in the game and simply figured that while making clothing from any dried skin would make it too easy for us to conquer the wild. On the other hand, I am having (and apparently sharing) a problem with some of the players out there with regards to the durability of my clothing, and a big pile of less useful hides on my hands ... that's why I thought, hey, we have the resource "cured leather" in the game, why not using it to fix tattered leather clothing?

It does not make sense to me that fixing two worn out or ripped apart boots, that were made out of two hides, takes three hides. But it does make sense to me, that when my survivor gets torn apart by a wolf, is able to fix his deerskin pants with dried wolf hide. The "structure" of the item we are wearing is still there, after all, I don't think that wolf ran away with half of it :)

To keep it as close to the game crafting mechanisms as possible, I figured that introducing cured leather into fixing hand-made stuff and the ability to produce cured leather from cured hides makes the most sense, and I hope that we can agree that unless we want to introduce leather tanning (and wear down our hunting knifes even more), this is not the worst idea we have seen on here ;)

I came up with a fairly simple and obvious solution for this issue in another thread. Here's the most relevant excerpt from my post:

• Use Rabbit Pelts to Partially Repair Fur Clothing
    • Rather than trekking out in the middle of snow storm to stalk down a deer just to repair that small tear in your deerskin pants, why not use one of those rabbit pelts you have stacked up in a heaping mound on the floor that you haven't found a use for yet? :roll:
    • Rabbit pelts can be used as a substitute material to repair fur clothing, though to a limited degree
      The initial repair would use 1 rabbit pelt and 1 gut, and would repair the damaged article of clothing by up to 15%
    • The next repair would repair only 14%, then the next would repair only 13%, and so on until the fifth repair, which would repair the article of clothing one final time at only 10%
    • After that fifth repair, you would not be able to repair that piece of clothing until you repaired it atleast once with the animal pelt that currently does the job (i.e. deer pelt for deerskin boots, wolf pelt for wolf-skin jacket, etc.), in which case the next repair you perform with rabbit pelts would begin again at 15%
    • In total, the maximum amount you could repair any clothing item with rabbit pelts (excluding rabbit mittens and cap, of course) would be 70%

I came up with a fairly simple and obvious solution for this issue in another thread. Here's the most relevant excerpt from my post:
  • Use Rabbit Pelts to Partially Repair Fur Clothing
    • Rather than trekking out in the middle of snow storm to stalk down a deer just to repair that small tear in your deerskin pants, why not use one of those rabbit pelts you have stacked up in a heaping mound on the floor that you haven't found a use for yet? :roll:
    • Rabbit pelts can be used as a substitute material to repair fur clothing, though to a limited degree
      The initial repair would use 1 rabbit pelt and 1 gut, and would repair the damaged article of clothing by up to 15%
    • The next repair would repair only 14%, then the next would repair only 13%, and so on until the fifth repair, which would repair the article of clothing one final time at only 10%
    • After that fifth repair, you would not be able to repair that piece of clothing until you repaired it atleast once with the animal pelt that currently does the job (i.e. deer pelt for deerskin boots, wolf pelt for wolf-skin jacket, etc.), in which case the next repair you perform with rabbit pelts would begin again at 15%
    • In total, the maximum amount you could repair any clothing item with rabbit pelts (excluding rabbit mittens and cap, of course) would be 70%

It's a little elaborate, but I love it. +1 to this limited makeshift repairs idea.

I had 2 ideas.

First is ability to turn cured guts into strings, that would be, imo far more logical and could be used in far more potential tasks.

And second, ability to cut both hides and cloths into smaller patches, that then can be used for repairs. I hate need to wait for smaller items to wear out significantly be4 repairs, since otherwise i lose a lot of potential material. That in turn tends to become a problem with keeping yourself warm during longer hikes.

Hello fellow wanderers,

At the moment I am quite annoyed with my crafted hides. Well, actually I love them a lot, but what troubles me is keeping them warm and useful.

It appears to me that the wolves prefer chewing on my leathers rather than chewing on me. While I lose only very little health in the close encounters, my clothing almost every time loses between 15 and 45% of durability. Now that would also be okay if only I had enough leather to fix them.

Repair costs are rather high as far as I am concerned, I mean, crafting two boots from two deerskins makes sense, but repairing them with one fresh skin gives back only 30% durability? Hmf. :(

I do not know how you feel about it but I am permanently short on deerskins and have wolf skins enough to carpet the whole camp office.

I do understand that keeping the clothes fixed is supposed to keep you busy. But at the moment, it feels to me that I am exclusively busy with deer hunting, trying to maintain my clothing and this is taking a lot of fun out of the game for me. The screenshot shows my current situation - the pants are down to 4% so I stored them for repairs.

llo2nq3r.jpg

My suggestion and big wish for a future update is to be able to downcycle cured hides into pieces of cured leather, and being able to fix any type of clothing with two straps of cured leather & one cured gut OR one hide of the appropriate type and one gut for 30% durability.

As for the recycling, I think it would make sense to get 4 leather out of a bear skin, 3 out of a deer, 2 from a wolf and one from a rabbit skin. That way the player could use wolf (or any other) leather to patch up his industrial boots, deer skin leggings or rabbit mits, and we would not stockpile enough wolf skins to buy back Manhattan from the Dutch Crown every second game!

I hope you see that I am not trying to break the game difficulty. In my opinion, it does make sense that leather from one animal could be used to fix clothing originally crafted from another. I would not suggest that rabbit skin would make good shoe soles, but I guess patching up a torn boot with leather from a different source does make sense in a way.

At this opportunity I would also like ask for a craftable hat added to the game, and also a wolves tail scarf :mrgreen:

You can balance the overabundance of wolf hides on stalker by chasing wolves away from deer kills more often (instead of going for the combo) and generally avoiding wolf fights (by using the various evasion maneuvers you will likely know, including decoys). But it's true that given a certain playstyle, deer skins may become the "bottleneck". However, given the current hunting/snaring mechanics, rabbit skins should not become a universal repair material, as there is an endless supply that can easily be obtained.

Archived