Feats: A Change of Experience instead of mere Simplification

Scyzara

While working towards some of the Feats I'm still missing I had an interesting thought that I believe to be worth sharing: What if some additional feats were added whose main purpose was not to make the game easier (or more convenient) to play, but rather to change certain aspects of the gameplay? I personally would totally fancy that.

Let me give you some examples of what I mean:

1. Feat name: Equinox

Requires: Spend a total of 120 days and 120 nights outside under the open sky.

Effect (if chosen): Days and nights now both last 12h each. The burning duration of all fuels is increased by 25%.

2. Feat name: Heart shot

Requires: Kill 50 deer, wolves or bears with a critical shot to the heart.

Effect (if chosen): Your chance for an instant kill when hitting an animal's head or neck is decreased by 50%, however said chance when hitting its chest is increased by 75%.

3. Feat name: Lumberjack

Requires: Chop a total of 200kg fir or cedar firewood.

Effect (if chosen): Your harvesting time for fir and cedar limbs is decreased by 65%, but your overall calorie consumption is increased by 15%.

Those three are rather meant as examples and not necessarily real suggestions (although I personally would totally love to play both Lumberjack and Equinox on Interloper! :love:), but I think you get what I mean.

I would just find it great if we had some feats that somehow rather change certain game aspects instead of simply making things easier/more convenient like the current feats do. (And please keep in mind that - as feats are totally optional anyway - nobody would ever need to pick a certain feat he or she dislikes).

Bring out the two-edged swords, please.:winky:

What about sandbox challenges that increase game difficulty, and if you make it to day 75 with it enabled, you get a feat. for just that playthrough or later too?

Deep freeze: Worlds start 5 C colder and end 5 C colder as well. day 75: blizzards fully respawn nearby firewood

Deadly wolves: Stronger, but more rare, like interloper. day 75: The wolf coat is more durable and warm.

No quick fix: 2x medicine required to cure afflictions (excluding minor bleeding) (severe bleeding requires a change of bandages in two hours) day 75: 25 percent resistance to disease.

Not saying I agree with what I just pit down, I was just brainstorming to get ideas out there and fuel discussion 

You could even have a system where feats with buffs were reasonably easy to achieve - as they are now - then hard to achieve feats with neutral but interesting effects and finally, very difficult to achieve feats with debuffs.

At the moment it is kind of a ludicrous situation. It took a long time to get the Firemaster badge and it was around that time that I felt I could no longer use feat buffs. I feel like I've been ripped off.

(Edit - curious that someone would +1 my last short "+1 for debuffs" post.)

Archived