What to drop

GroggyNoggin

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to earmark a certain piece of meat for a drop to entertain a wolf? Does the game automatically select the smallest piece of meat you carry, or do you have to just drop a random one? I would hate to drop a 2.2 lb piece instead of a measly .13 lb piece. Thanks for any input in advance. Also, this game is flippin' great! What a joy to play.

To the best of my knowledge, the game drops the "smelliest" piece of meat. The Long Dark wiki should have descriptions of how much each food smells. I do know it roughly follows raw > cooked >> processed food.

I don't know of a way to differentiate between pieces that have the same smell such as you example. Sorry :)

That's why many people use this exploit: whenever you eat something, before you completely finish eating it up, hit cancel. That way you will end up with a lot of 12kcal pieces of food. When dropping decoys, and you have lots of those in your inventory, it will significantly lower the chance of you dropping a full MRE, when there is also 20 tiny piecs of 12kcal pieces, and they have the same success when stopping wolves. (You can re-eat and cancel again, but don't let the total kcal count drop below like 12kcal, or the item will just disappear)

As this is some kind of exploit, I would love to seeing it addressed in a future update. (Various stuff having various chances to stop a chasing wolf, e.g. fresh meat 90%, cooked meat 80%, candy bar in plastic 5%, and so on and it should decrease a lot, when using food that was already eaten for the most part of it.)

• 1 month later...

You know how sometimes you have 0.4 or smaller scraps remaining on a carcass after harvesting all the 1 kg pieces?

I partially harvest those so I end up having three or four 0.1 kg pieces of raw meat which I never cook. I then beat feet home and cook all my 1KG pieces. I store the raw meat in a locker whenever arriving home and pack them whenever I leave. They always get selected as bait.

The only downside to this is it causes wear & tear on my knife or hatchet

Archived