Mountaineer's Cabin Chimney

June

So, I have a huge fire burning in the Mountaineer's Hut fireplace and not the tiniest bit of smoke comes from the chimney on the roof? I find this extremely unstatisfying ;) Please make it smoke.

Mountaineer's Hut is torn apart maybe it escapes from some holes in the chimney mixes up with the air :) I think it would be nice if they make some sort of a mechanics to patch up holes in structures with reclaimed wood, so we can plug up that hole in the ceiling and make Mountaineer's Hut better safe spot.

Well, as long as you're bringing this up, someone should mention the trappers cabin always having a tendril of smoke rising from the chimney. It's a nice effect, but it absolutely baffles everyone I've shown the game to. "Why is there smoke coming from the chimney when there's no fire lit?" Given that when we are inside, we are able to hear an accurate reflection of the weather outside, I'd think that the state of a fireplace inside a house might be indicated by smoking rising from the chimney on the outside. It would be a nice touch at least, though I have no idea how difficult to implement - seeing as that the state of many objects is already being tracked it doesn't seem too far-fetched to be able to draw upon that state and render something externally when that state is in a certain condition.

I hope this is one of those polish items they address before release. It doesn't bother me, and I can understand that having the smoke effect get triggered by an event that isn't actually happening in the loaded portion of the game world (for trapper's) or to have it effect just 1 fireplace that is loaded into the gameworld, is a lot of work for little gain.

But it would still be nice to fix it up.

It's not like the game doesn't track the state of the fire when you're not in the same instance as it, right?

You start a fire that will last for two hours, and then go outside for an hour. When you come in, the fire has burned through an hours' worth of fuel. So, even while you didn't have the instance with the fireplace loaded, it still tracked the time remaining of the fire and which fireplace it was in. The interior world already has a graphic for a lit fire, how hard would it be to place a specific anchor point for a graphic in the exterior world that is linked to the same object, and have it smoke to a varying degree based on the duration that's left on the fire. Really, it's just doing the same thing that the graphic for the fire itself does, but doing it in the outside world.

I guess it depends on how they've implemented the fire mechanics. Perhaps it just saves the duration of the fire when one goes outside, and the reduces it by the time difference when they come back in. I don't know, but in some implementations there's got to be a way to do this.

@frozen & @lucid: glad you brought this up. I never really tought about the trapper´s cabin chimney. I mean, I love the smoke animation, but indeed it doesn´t depend on wether there is a fire burning or not. ;)

But here´s my thought. The trapper´s cabin and the mountaineer´s differ in one point: one changes the game world via a loading screen. The other does not. So not having smoke out of the chimney in TM felt much more unrealistic than in ML. ... whatever, this needs to be fixed ^^

this would also have great survival use in the main game next spring. hinterland has already stated that there will be AI survivors we can interact with. smoke rising from the chimney of homes would be a good way to indicate that someone is currently taking shelter there. this is a world where going up to a claimed shelter will get you shot on sight, so it would be very handy in that regard. smoke stacks are a must when youre talking about other survivors that are desperate enough to attack or kill and rob you!

I guess it depends on how they've implemented the fire mechanics. Perhaps it just saves the duration of the fire when one goes outside, and the reduces it by the time difference when they come back in. I don't know, but in some implementations there's got to be a way to do this.

That's my assumption - it would work the same way for tracking the condition degradation of items. Why bother tracking each item in all the locations, when you could run a simple calculation based on the time difference when you needed to?

I agree what we're talking about is not a difficult thing to implement, but if the current implementation can't just be extended/tweaked to include this feature, then making the change has a big impact overall, and that's when something small becomes too much trouble to make a priority over everything else you could be focusing on.

I find it really weird that you can't "fix" the giant, gaping hole in the Mountaineer's hut. It was literally the first thing I thought of when seeing the cabin. It would actually be pretty easy, too.

1) cut off tree branches, and lay them over the hole. Cut off some more, and weave them through each other, and the roof, to make a sort of lattice.

2) pile snow onto the lattice of branches.

3) Pack it down really tight. Compact all that snow.

Now, go light a fire inside the chimney. The air temp inside the cabin will increase, and cause the snow to melt a bit. Because it is so cold outside, this snowmelt will turn to ice, and effectively seal off the hole. The layer of ice would also melt much more slowly compared to the snow, so long as it wasn't exposed to direct heat.

Sure, with a fire burning inside the cabin, you would have to replace this covering every couple days. But, that would be better than leaving a massive hole in your home.

Archived