Rifle Inaccurate as hell

Smeden

Is this representative of everyone's experience?

latest?cb=20151112024331

It is mine.

Expect aim to be red dot. But it is not. Bullets actually hit at yellow cross.

Aiming is difficult because actual target is obscured by the sight.

Well, if that broken sight picture actually generates hits for you, it would certainly explain why the rifle is broken for me. Hopefully it will be fixed soon.

latest?cb=20151112024331

It is mine.

Expect aim to be red dot. But it is not. Bullets actually hit at yellow cross.

Aiming is difficult because actual target is obscured by the sight.

This has been my experience at short range, 30 yards or less and what I tried to explain in my post. I had a conversation with former US Marine Corps Sniper today and he said this is how he would expect an iron sights rifle to perform.

Is this representative of everyone's experience?...

Nope...not for me... :P;)

...Expect aim to be red dot...

And for me it is exactly that point :o

And there you have it...it must in some weird way depend on the Settings and/or Hardware configuration.

I could imagine that the (for the hit-evaluation used) position of the sight is depending (or disturbed...how ever one will call it) by some factors of the used grafics-configuration.

Maybe FOV or Detail-Settings...Resolution or a combination of all that.

I don't know, but for me the sights are (at least on these short distances...have not tried any 'long range shots' yet!) spot on (your red dot).

But just to be clear of that:

I can't tell for absolutely sure where the bullet exactly hits the target (as mentioned in another Tread earlier...) by the things I can see after a hit.

The only thing I can say for sure is this:

After I changed my aiming from the lung/heart-area to the head (as a hunter I had a hard time doing that ;) ) the animal drops instantly after the impact of the bullet.

And that's the case (for me in at least 90% of my shots) if I use selfless' red dot to aim 'right between the eyes' of the target.

...strange...

EDIT:

...I had a conversation with former US Marine Corps Sniper today and he said this is how he would expect an iron sights rifle to perform.

That depends on many factors and can't be told for sure just by the look at it and without further information...especially not in our case.

I would expect it to be lower because of the fact that most of my weapons are zeroed at 100m.

Therefor (and for such a short distance) I would in RL have to aim a bit lower...but never higher than the point I want to hit the target.

But maybe the Devs have zeroed our Rifle for 50m...or 20...because...iron sights...who knows... ;)

Nope, I'm hitting exactly the area covered by the red dot as well, just like Foxen. The lower half of the red dot, to be precise. Just slightly above the edge of the front sight.

I guess this is how it's supposed to work. ^^

After I changed my aiming from the lung/heart-area to the head (as a hunter I had a hard time doing that ;) ) the animal drops instantly after the impact of the bullet. And that's the case (for me in at least 90% of my shots) if I use selfless' red dot to aim 'right between the eyes' of the target.

I've tried both potential instant death areas (heart & head) and agree that headshots are both easier and safer to do in TLD. The easiest method is to have the animal walk towards you in a straight line, crouch, aim between its eyes (red dot covers the forehead) and shoot.

With this strategy I've never missed a shot in months - and 90% of the animals (at least deer and wolves) drop dead instantly. Bears are a bit tougher, but I appreciate that.

Anyway, I suggest you guys make a post in the bug section with your hardware configuration details. The Devs will most likely need more information than "aiming is broken for me" in order to fix this. ;)

I made the same experience like Foxen and Scyzara.

I even tried some longer shots on deer yesterday, I'd say 100m+, and did not have any problems hitting.

Either there is some issues with your games or because of the ballistic curve of the bullet the impact is below the aiming point on those very short ranges.

Here is what I'm currently aiming at:

bill017.thumb.jpg.6110c714b669805fd28273From the Side with Sight.jpg[/attachment]

EDIT:

...the ballistic curve of the bullet the impact is below the aiming point on those very short ranges.

The exact opposite is true ;)

Think about the angle of the barrel in relation to line of sight...

The muzzle is (times more,times less-depends on the range the sight is zeroed) above the chamber when you shoot more than 25-50m.

For every distance above ca. 50m (also depending on the Ammunition and gun you're using!) you'll have to shoot more or less 'up'.

How far 'up' depends on the actual 'target-distance' you're shooting at.

EDIT 2:

Here you can easily see what's meant:

http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk/fi ... e-zeroing2 ;)

56ce237a5650c_TotheHeadwithSight.thumb.j

56ce237e8b4cc_FromtheSidewithSight.thumb

I don't exactly get what your trying to say Foxen but see the picture piddy3825 posted on the first page of this thread, on very short ranges(before the ballistic curve meets the line of sight) the frontsight(Korn) would cover the target and thats what the others could experience.

I can't tell if this is actually the case because if I aim at animals head on close range to me it doesn't matter if I hit slightly lower then what I aim at because either way its a headshot.

I'm gonna try some really long range shots later today and try to figure out if there is actually a ballistic curve and bullet drop simulated.

EDIT 2:

Here you can easily see what's meant:

http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk/fi ... e-zeroing2 ;)

Yeah, we're talking about the same thing...

See the second example where the gun is zeroed at 150 yards, at less then ~20 yards the ballistic curve did not reach the line of sight yet, at that stage the front sight would cover the target.

...if there is actually a ballistic curve and bullet drop simulated.

That's exactly the point!

What I wrote was the 'RL-Case' (regarding to all the 'I know how to...in RL!' c***).

Nobody (except the DEVs :? ) know how it's exactly in the game.

For RL-Shooting on short distances you would have to aim a (tiny) bit lower (with a gun that's zeroed to 150m...or even more) than where you want to actually hit the target...never aim higher as you mentioned ;)

But noone knows exactly the game-mechanics...and for me the aiming is more than ok as is now and for my used distances.

Attached a screenshot how exactly I'm aiming - it's pretty similar to Foxen's first screenshot, I guess.

Of course I can't say for sure whether the round actually hits the forehead (as indicated by the tiny red dot), but I pretty much assume it as these kinds of shots between the eyes are 100% lethal to both deer and wolves for me (90% instant deaths, 10% deaths by bleeding out).

So either the bullet really hits lower and snout shots count as lethal or the bullet is actually hitting the forehead (as I believe it does). No matter which version is true, aiming this way always works for me. Haven't missed a single shot in months as far as I remember. ;)

screen_13615d98-1a13-4725-b528-d4f559442

Everyone will have their own interpretations from their own experiences. And changing anyone's convictions definitely requires their own cooperation. But please help me just to gather some data.

Try my car-mirror zeroing. When a bullet hits the mirror it goes "thunk", when it misses it doesn't. Aim with the mirror at the red dot. Fire. Aim with the mirror at the yellow cross. Fire. What are your results. If you can get a "thunk" from far enough away that the red dot covers the mirror while the center of the yellow cross is in the snow then I'm wrong. Congrats.

And if anyone ever gets a bullet to strike an animal farther than 45 walking paces away from them I definitely want to know about it. I cannot exceed that range with my settings no matter what I try. Thank you.

EDIT: You won't hear the mirror impacts when you get beyond a given distance. Game answers the mantra If-a-tree-falls-and-no-one-hears-it-does-it-make-a-sound with a digital "Not if no one is within X meters."

Ok, I did some testing on car mirrors, selfless.

First of all I think they have a weird "hitbox" the graphic appears to be bigger then the hitbox, and if I step more then 10-15m away I can't hit them anymore at all...

3-5m I had the feeling top of the frontsight is where I have to aim.

5-15m I had the feeling I have to aim 1/3 down the frontsight, marked in yellow on the picture.

I also shot two deer each took me only one shot. My assumption that I shot on 100m+ earlier was propably wrong it must've been more like 50m. It was not much more then the shots I did now.

The red dot is where I aimed.

Also your right, anything further then 50 steps away is impossible to hit, I even tried to shoot a bear and no matter if I aimed like I usually do or a little high, I did not hit him.

Only when the bear was close to the car I was able to hit him.

56ce23890ab91_screen_(83926551)_shot1.th

56ce238c0fb66_screen_(89729460)_shot2.th

56ce238f2894d_screen_(82626555)_bearimpo

But please help me just to gather some data.

Just tested mirror shooting with a 94% condition rifle (10% fatigue) for 3 sight pictures, both crouching and standing and 10 shots each. (Individual shots were placed along the edges of the mirror to get data from different horizontal positions as well).

When I aimed as you can see in screenshot A (red dot covered the mirror, yellow cross was below it) only two out of 20 shots were hits, 18 were misses.

When I aimed slightly higher (red dot and yellow cross both covered the mirror), 20/20 shots were hits.

And when I again aimed higher like in screenshot B (yellow cross covered the the mirror, red dot was above the mirror), 17/20 shots were hits.

But whenever I stepped further than 10m away from the car, I couldn't hit the mirror at all, no matter how high or low I aimed. Which is quite unfortunate as is disqualifies car mirrors as test objects for range shots between 20-30m (which is probably roughly the standart hunting distance in TLD).

Anyway, I think selfless is right, at least for short distances. My poor animals probably drop dead because (or maybe I should better say despite...) I blow away their snouts and not their brains. :(

56ce239408349_ScreenshotB.thumb.jpg.3c91

56ce23999b9c9_ScreenshotA.thumb.jpg.262d

I think the rifle accuracy should be boosted significally. I wasted 5 bullets on a Bear as he was walking towards me and from 50 meters i shot 3 times and waited for him to bleed out. Nothing happened, so i shot him 2 times again from 25 meters, he ran towards me and beat me up, i tried to shoot third time but i failed at that.

After he beat me up he went walking away wondering which kind of fish he would prepare for dinner after sucking 5 of my precious bullets. It didn't even kill him.

Just saying that this feels kinda stupid because i have shot assault rifle from 150 meters to a 1 meter wide target with 10/83 score. It was my first time shooting

EDIT: Oh, and radical bullet physics (even thought the bullet can carry itself over 3 kilometers) would be fine. Like having to aim 2 meters over the target when its 50 meters away, would make it actually more intresting but i just wish it would be made possible ;)

Yeah they probably should remove the maximum distance of a bullet (or at least make it 10 times bigger) and add small sway to the rifle.

They wanted to add sway to the rifle back when the bow came out with its unique aiming system.

It came in v0.264, but they got so much negative feedback when they did I wonder if they will ever touch rifle aiming again. RECAP: when looking down the sights and panning the rifle quickly, sights would misalign as one would expect in real life. But sensitivity was a bit off and small corrections would cause major misalignments for some users. Community was outraged. Hotfix v0.271 came and the rifle sights are now frozen to rock steady all the time. :roll:

Yeah they probably should remove the maximum distance of a bullet (or at least make it 10 times bigger) and add small sway to the rifle.

They wanted to add sway to the rifle back when the bow came out with its unique aiming system.

It came in v0.264, but they got so much negative feedback when they did I wonder if they will ever touch rifle aiming again. RECAP: when looking down the sights and panning the rifle quickly, sights would misalign as one would expect in real life. But sensitivity was a bit off and small corrections would cause major misalignments for some users. Community was outraged. Hotfix v0.271 came and the rifle sights are now frozen to rock steady all the time. :roll:

Well that sounds like they didn't want to fix a bug so they reversed to the old system. People probably didn't like it because it was broken. I couldn't shoot with mouse, but with controller it was 100% fine.

But anyway I meant that it should have sway when you don't move your mouse. No some crap like this: [bBvideo 560,340:24g7aeps]

[/bBvideo]

Notice how it doesn't always act like it was held with only one hand. That's when I used controller instead of mouse. I start using mouse at 20 seconds.

Wait, they made it more realistic and then re-broke it back to the same way it was broken before instead of actually fixing it? *groan* Can someone near the studios teach the team what a sight picture should look like?

Archived