Bow and arrow ballistics, food poisoning and angry bears

druffzilla

1. Does wind affect the arrows flight?

2. Bows with low condition are more inaccurate?

3. Food gets bad when it drops 50% in total, uncooked and cooked, for example if you cook meat at 80% it will get bad at 70% if cooked? If you dont think so, how would you explain the food poisoning of meat at good conditions?

4. I just had a bear maul me while carrying a torch, I guess this was because I went to close, I made it to a building after patching up and the bear tried to attack me again on the way but I kept him at a distance with the torch. Now Im wondering if I shoot a bear will it charge me if I carry a torch/flare?

What are your experiences?

I dont know about flares /torches but a fire will keep the bear at bay.

I also dont think it makes sense that you have greater sway/innacuracy whith a lower condition bow.

While i agree that the bow should deteriorate quickly as it is a primitive design using gut, i dont think it should affect accuracy, it should only affect damage done and travel distance of arrows.

I also think the gut should degrade at different rate to the piece of cured maple sapling, so you could replace/repair the bow with another cured gut then after second string/gut has degraded the bow cannot be repaired.

Let me know what you guys think.

There is no damage. Only wounds. All wounds kill. Lethal wounds kill instantly. Mortal wounds take time. Multiple mortal wounds take less time, but time nonetheless.

There is no damage at all? So its totally random how far the animal will run after its injured?

There is no damage. Only wounds. All wounds kill. Lethal wounds kill instantly. Mortal wounds take time. Multiple mortal wounds take less time, but time nonetheless.

There is no damage at all? So its totally random how far the animal will run after its injured?

There is no random. How long each type of animal lives after wounding is fixed.

But distance from start will be determined by the animals behavior as effected by environment.

There is no random. How long each type of animal lives after wounding is fixed.

But distance from start will be determined by the animals behavior as effected by environment.

Can you explain that further please.

Animals with mortal wounds will die after a fixed period of time. Animals will change direction and mode of travel based on terrain and other animals. So their path and speed is not constant. So their distance from point of wounding at death will be determined by terrain and other animals. But it is not random.

But the time is always the same?

The damage thought comes from me injuring a wolf charging me, and then it sometimes dies in the struggle and sometimes not, usually a wolf is injured after a struggle similar to the injury from an arrow and I have never experienced a wolf taking more then two arrows/two wounds to die... So if the wolf survives the struggle then I must have done less damage?

But the time is always the same?

The damage thought comes from me injuring a wolf charging me, and then it sometimes dies in the struggle and sometimes not, usually a wolf is injured after a struggle similar to the injury from an arrow and I have never experienced a wolf taking more then two arrows/two wounds to die... So if the wolf survives the struggle then I must have done less damage?

There is no damage. Only wounds. That's my theory anyway. Most of data I've observed is from ranged weapons. Time to die from a bullet or an arrow is always the same, reduces with each additional shot.

"Damage" may exist in the framework of wolf struggle in that not enough struggle = no wound, medium struggle = mortal wound, lots of struggle = lethal wound, and better weapons grant more struggle. But if the wolf runs away bleeding, he's got a mortal wound and will bleed out in the same amount of time as if he was shot.

When you fight a wolf there is a health bar (or at least there used to be one before the wolf struggle mechanic was changed recently) and every time you hit the wolf the bar drops a bit. So there is "damage" and better weapons do more "damage". When the bar drops to a certain point the wolf will run away. if you manage to do enough damage fast enough, the wolf will die before it runs away.

Not sure how this relates to hunting with either bow and arrow or a rifle, but I would expect that an arrow or a bullet will do an amount of damage that depends on where you hit the animal.

I'm pretty sure that there is still some kind of hidden wolf health bar, you just don't see it any more. If you shoot an arrow into the wolf's upper forehead and it jumps you afterwards, one or two knife hits (=lmb klicks) are usually sufficient to finish it during the subsequent handfight. Happens to me almost every time I fail to hit the exact spot between the eyes that kills the beast instantly.

In other words, arrow and bullet hits certainly lower a wolf's condition somehow (and can thus increase the probability to kill it on the spot in a subsequent handfight).

But apart from that I also agree with selfless that the "severity" of a wound (e.g. leg vs. head shot) doesn't seem to have much influence on the time it takes for a wolf (or deer) to bleed out. If wounded animals run away they rather seem to drop dead after the same time (and probably also distance) no matter where exactly you shot them.

I had a weird day today. Maybe there are more levels of wound than I thought. Need more data.

Wrestled 5 wolves. Two died in combat. One lived 40 minutes after. Two lived for 2 more hours.

Shot at 5 deer. Two Instakills. One dead at 45 minutes. Chased two for 4 hours before seeing them die.

And shot a bear dead with an arrow to the body from 50 meters away. Like I said, weird.

hmm once I shot a bear and he ran off, I only found him the next day more then 12 hours later and he just started to freeze, some other time I shot a wolf in the leg with an arrow, it started to walk instantly, did not bleed and I never saw it die, even a day later it was only walking...

• 2 weeks later...
Just to clarify, wounds always result in death though, correct? It might be 20 minutes or four hours but a wounded animal always dies in this game right?

Yes, though 8 hours seems to be the maximum now (v0.280). And leaving a map then returning has provided some debate on animals "healing". Wounded animal conversation continues here:

There is No Damage. Only Wounds.

Archived