More, More, More

Marmo

Yeah absolutely :D , im hooked on this game ive not been on battlefield, or any other game for a few weeks now :D just enjoying the different pace of gaming style , really impressed with this game , i cannot wait to see what else they do with this in the future, now that i see the immersive realism of this game, im thinking for future games,like with different climates desert, jungle etc.

But for now just cant wait for full game, defo taking some time off work,lol

i have a dissapointment for you. since you are new to the game, you have a lot of stuff to explore... and since i been here basically from the start.... hinterland can not keep up with the new interesting stuff. i basically played for the 1st time now due to a new update... SINCE MARCH. Its basically a new map every 4 months. And the one they just added, is the smallest one that basically takes 2 gameplay hours to explore. the crafting stuff introduced is also minimal. i have 250 hours on a game tho, so cant complain for 20$ paid, or whatever it was while not on a sale.

i have a dissapointment for you. since you are new to the game, you have a lot of stuff to explore... and since i been here basically from the start.... hinterland can not keep up with the new interesting stuff. i basically played for the 1st time now due to a new update... SINCE MARCH. Its basically a new map every 4 months. And the one they just added, is the smallest one that basically takes 2 gameplay hours to explore. the crafting stuff introduced is also minimal. i have 250 hours on a game tho, so cant complain for 20$ paid, or whatever it was while not on a sale.

Keep in mind that everyone gets something different out of the game and has different levels of enjoyment.

I played about 20 hours quite a while ago, but then started playing again hardcore since the Deep Forest update brought me back -- and I'm already at 460 hours played (and still playing it more than anything else - which will likely be the case until either 7DtD comes out with Alpha13, or Fallout4 is released).

Not trying to get into a "who's is bigger" argument, just pointing out that your experience of finding there to be less to hold your interest after 250 hours of play time doesn't translate into the same experience for others.

Keep in mind that everyone gets something different out of the game and has different levels of enjoyment.

I played about 20 hours quite a while ago, but then started playing again hardcore since the Deep Forest update brought me back -- and I'm already at 460 hours played (and still playing it more than anything else - which will likely be the case until either 7DtD comes out with Alpha13, or Fallout4 is released).

Not trying to get into a "who's is bigger" argument, just pointing out that your experience of finding there to be less to hold your interest after 250 hours of play time doesn't translate into the same experience for others.

i'm pretty sure you have clocked that much because on self imposed challenges/achievements. if i only stuck with game achievements and what not, probably would of spent 100 hours at most... and thats were problem comes in... its hinterlands job to entertain us... no ours. i know its a cheap street walker for 20$, or like some of game owners paid less due to being on sale, but still its hinterland who put a price tag on themselves.

One should also remember that just introducing new stuff, could easily ruin the core of the game. What we have, and what attracted me to this game, was the simplicity. The core of the game should always revolve around keeping warm and hydrated. Too many puzzles and linear mechanics will eventually kill the experience. Instead of adding stuff, I'd prefer the adding of chaos. A game editor of sorts, for sandbox-mode, could maybe be cool. If you could alter things like spawn-times, how much stuff would spawn, how fierce the wildlife will be and things like that, I'm sure the community would pretty much become self sufficient :-)

i'm pretty sure you have clocked that much because on self imposed challenges/achievements. if i only stuck with game achievements and what not, probably would of spent 100 hours at most... and thats were problem comes in... its hinterlands job to entertain us... no ours. i know its a cheap street walker for 20$, or like some of game owners paid less due to being on sale, but still its hinterland who put a price tag on themselves.

No self-imposed challenges/achievements really - but I never saw the point of the game (or of any game, really) as "get all of the achievements and then be done with it".

I have, several times, played till day 200+, then decided that I wanted to start again and see how things went the next time (where maybe I didn't find the rifle so early, or maybe start in a different zone and see how that changes things, etc). I've had all of the achievements since I don't remember when -- but still very much enjoying playing and replaying the game content that Hinterlands has provided.

...so my point is, your assumption is incorrect in that I'm entertained for so many hours because I'm essentially creating my own entertainment -- to the contrary, it is just that I am finding enjoyment in the replayability of the content provided by Hinterlands. Which was my point - different strokes for different folks.

yeah definitely, its up to a player and his likings. I went 500+ days when there was only ML available...got #1 spot, so chasing numbers for me is not important anymore, since i know i could easily survive 2000, 3000 days and what not... but not going to waste 100+ real life hours on such a run. Also lived 50 days in outdoors only personal challenge. Exploration also done, know maps in an out... so personally do not really have anything to do in a game, since i'm feeling godlike in a game... like i have beaten the game. So for me only enjoyable parts are the new maps. Once again, its up to a person and its desires :) But i know plenty of veterans who do not play tld for like 3+ months. I think there was a stat somewhere that only 400 players play the game weekly on avg.

Here's a quick tip: if you find yourself getting bored in TLD - Commit Seppuku (Japanese, literally self murder) - then start a new game and enjoy it all over again. I have a thread that 2 people commented on called "Long Game Ennui" - basically it laments that early game is so good and late game - when you have all the gear and tons of ammo/food - is so tedious. I reckon (and GEL taz, master TLD vidmaker agrees) that game animals should become much more scarce to oblige the player to move between maps just to eat. Maybe wolves would be diseased so no grub there. The game should get harder long term is my point. Comments?

Here's a quick tip: if you find yourself getting bored in TLD - Commit Seppuku (Japanese, literally self murder) - then start a new game and enjoy it all over again.

Really? been playing since like .132v... you think same old stuff phase me and gives me fun? i did started plenty new runs, buts its old same routine. I mean when i know maps in an out... there is no fun in exploration.

If you start eating your favorite food for breakfast, lunch and dinner for a month... i doubt it will be your favorite after that month.... honestly, probably after 1st week if not early.

Not quite the "more, more, more" you were discussing... but on the same vein:

- realistic fishing: if the line is gut (food for fish) with a needle at the end (not food for fish), why would they bite the metal? Just from my raising and lowering it in the water or from the amount of knot fixing the needle? Where is the lure?

- passive fishing: perhaps I could set 3 lines with lures and catch about the same ammount without having to sit by that hole doing nothing else (like a trap)? Perhaps I'd go to a nearby hut and boil me some water.

- boiling food top maximize caloric intake: you'd break the bone for marrow, eat almost everything from the carcass (brain, sinew, fat, eyes). Plus, boiling it also covers the water intake and perhaps a herbal tea, all in one but it would be an indoor activity (large pot, long time needed). Plus no food poisoning and having x lumps of broth for later (it's freezing in the cabin, why not?).

- cooking: it should not be neading my whole atention for turning it 3 or 4 times in the pan. I could have a roast cooking and water melting at the same time, while repairing something. If I forget, the food burns (perhaps with audio reminders like "snif snif, something's burning here!", water evaporates entirely, fire burns out, the whole cabin burns out...

- cooking: mapple/birch/fir needles/bark added as ressource, they are everywhere and much more frequent than the few greens in-game. At least for vitamin C in the drinking water and staving off disease.

- crafting: ever heard of bone arrowheads (with a gritty enough rock and a knife, a bone can be shaped), cord for bow from the winter coat waist line, cord from electrical wires, spear from about everything, sled from any 2 branches and a cord, box for carrying embers for the next fire, that zero-tech friction firestarter, cord for raising in the trees what you cannot carry, repearing a knife (sharpening) only needs a gritty stone for hundreds of times, same for hatchet (though possibly once in a while the handle breaks or gets loose and you need a branch and knife to make another), tree moss or leaves as tinder (once dried), sled or even shield against wolves from any sheet of metal and a bit of rope....

Here's a quick tip: if you find yourself getting bored in TLD - Commit Seppuku (Japanese, literally self murder) - then start a new game and enjoy it all over again.

Really? been playing since like .132v... you think same old stuff phase me and gives me fun? i did started plenty new runs, buts its old same routine. I mean when i know maps in an out... there is no fun in exploration.

If you start eating your favorite food for breakfast, lunch and dinner for a month... i doubt it will be your favorite after that month.... honestly, probably after 1st week if not early.

Yeah, I see your point. I'm not quite there with TLD yet but I've played a few great games to the point of boredom. Only solution to that (except bashing your head to cause amnesia!) is to take a break until you get the urge to play again. There's no such thing as an endless single player game, closest for me is the CIV series which I play 2/3 times a year, largest possible game, until the next one comes out. I do think making TLD harder after 50 - 100 days would be a big help though - like a different phase of difficulty caused by game animal shortage or worse weather, at least in Stalker - or maybe a new "Stalker Ultra" mode.

I find the replay factor on this game to be quite good. The randomization of resources always presents new difficulties and challenges. I got frustrated there with the nasty weather but the new release has weather patterns and more good days so I've gotten back into it.

Doom was a good game that had a TON of maps. It got boring after a long while and other, better games came along. I think the addition of new maps is a very important detail. It would be nice if we could add our own user created maps to the game. Open architecture makes that viable but in the competitive games world, I wonder if Hinterland would even consider it.

I can certainly see a lot of potential for sequels for the game with additional maps.

I find the replay factor on this game to be quite good.

I know this is subjective but I have to disagree. After logging 336 hours on Steam (which as an adult I'm a bit abashed about :roll: ) I'd say the replay factor is excellent, almost peerless. I hope 450,000 sales in early release is sufficient to warrant a long term franchise. Otherwise I might have to go camping or something..

Heck, I play this less like I would a regular game, and just more like a relaxation technique. There's something strangely soothing about this game.

You've just given Hinterland half of a wonderful compliment and here's the other half: I love playing this game because it's the most consistently terrifying experience I've ever had on PC. Even indoors the dim light and creaky noises make me expect something horrible to jump out behind me but outdoors, when you're tired, wounded, hungry and miles from anywhere? The weather starts to turn and then you sprain an ankle and the game autosaves?

I've never played anything quite like it. Maybe you're playing on Pilgrim and starting with my second long game I've been on Stalker but even so - 2 completely different views with the same conclusion - TLD rocks! :D

Heck, I play this less like I would a regular game, and just more like a relaxation technique. There's something strangely soothing about this game.

You've just given Hinterland half of a wonderful compliment and here's the other half: I love playing this game because it's the most consistently terrifying experience I've ever had on PC. Even indoors the dim light and creaky noises make me expect something horrible to jump out behind me but outdoors, when you're tired, wounded, hungry and miles from anywhere? The weather starts to turn and then you sprain an ankle and the game autosaves?

I've never played anything quite like it. Maybe you're playing on Pilgrim and starting with my second long game I've been on Stalker but even so - 2 completely different views with the same conclusion - TLD rocks! :D

Yeah I definitely don't play on Stalker. :lol:

I find the other difficulties to be more in line with my own real-life winter camping experiences.

Pilgrim is spot-on, although admittedly I was prepared with winter gear, and the survivor isn't.

Voyager adds aggressive wolves which as a game element is fun, but no wolf has ever acted hostile to me IRL. Darn geomagnetic event driving the wolves crazy! :cry:

The whole game reminds me of tromping around Quebec while on vacation in my youth.

But we've each found a play style we love, and that's a truly impressive feat for a game (especially since, as you say, we play differently). TLD is honestly one of the best games I've run into in recent years.

Yes! It is both soothing and terrifying at the same time, and I love it! I also haven't been so constantly scared/paranoid in a game before. Just yesterday I was wandering around the Coastal Highway and I kept hearing these strange sounds and practically freaking out thinking a bear was just down the hill. It wasn't, but it showed up shortly after and I ran like hell with my heart racing. ;p

With the better weather I'm not constantly worried a blizzard will hit and I won't be able to find my way back even when it's only a minute's run, but I'm still always apprehensive and on edge every time I start hiking. :) Then I get back home and sigh in relief, and it's soothing again when I'm doing household stuff. ;p

One should also remember that just introducing new stuff, could easily ruin the core of the game. What we have, and what attracted me to this game, was the simplicity. The core of the game should always revolve around keeping warm and hydrated. Too many puzzles and linear mechanics will eventually kill the experience. Instead of adding stuff, I'd prefer the adding of chaos. A game editor of sorts, for sandbox-mode, could maybe be cool. If you could alter things like spawn-times, how much stuff would spawn, how fierce the wildlife will be and things like that, I'm sure the community would pretty much become self sufficient :-)

I would have to agree. With the latest patch and the ability to "forge" it is feeling more and more like a crafting game and less like survival. I too prefer the simplicity.

I would have to agree. With the latest patch and the ability to "forge" it is feeling more and more like a crafting game and less like survival. I too prefer the simplicity.

The way I see it is the more options, the better, and you don't have to use them. You can go as simple as you'd like or spend a bunch of time crafting if you want.

I think if there were more food/drink and other item spawns, yeah it'd lessen the chance of the simpler items appearing, but I think it'd be fine since I usually have a pretty good collection of every item after a decent amount of time alive. I would trade five of my ten or so spare flares for some other item I can craft with, and same with many other items. ;p

To me it'd still feel like survival, since you're using what you can find and making stuff with it. In real life I would do the same. In the game's context, we can end up with quite a bit of spare time, so why not? :)

Archived