Realistic breakdown times

reficul999

Harvesting reclaim wood uses alot of calories which is fine, however, it takes FAR to long. I can put a set of shelves up in 30-45mins so why it takes an hour and a half to two hours to break them into reclaim is beyond me. 45 mins to hatchet a chair in two? Try 45 seconds! 15 mins to break a beer crate? Try 15 seconds or even just throw the crate straight on the fire. 2 hours to break some shelves???? I'll give you 20 mins assuming you are absolutely useless AND don't have a hatchet!

not only that, time is already sped up drastically. What is the point? Same goes for cutting down Fir and Cedar logs, as well as Branches. 10 minutes to break a branch into 3 to 5 pieces is ridiculous. It would probably take you 10 minutes to chop down a cedar tree.

It would be nice if you had more options of things to cut down. Cutting down a tree probably wouldn't be to hard and time consuming, as well as giving you tonnes of wood and lumber.

I concur on the breakdown times - I've been a bit confused why it takes so long to break things down with a hatchet that could be done in seconds to a couple minutes barehanded. The times do feel much more appropriate for the major tasks - breaking apart a stuffed chair, hacksawing apart a large metal shelving unit, etc, but the trivial stuff is out of proportion.

I do not support being able to chop down a full living tree with the hatchet we've got in game. That is more than a bit difficult, and would likely blunt or ruin the hatchet before it actually got all the way through the tree. If we had or could find a wood axe, then that's totally different, but with just a hatchet... nah, I wouldn't expect that.

^ Exactly. Hatchets are for cutting small limbs or splitting small logs, not chopping down a tree. A larger axe (not necessarily "large", I use a 3/4 axe for most tasks) or a saw would be used for cutting down trees.

Speaking of saws, why don't we have them? I have a collapsible bucksaw in my pack for a reason.....

• 2 weeks later...
Well, there is a hacksaw. You can use it to dismantle metal structures and harvest meat. But you can't use it to cut down fir or cedar limbs (or branches) for whatever reason. ;)

Ah, didn't know you could harvest meat with the hacksaw. Stands to reason though.

What's the rush? I already find too much time in a day.

Maybe an option to do things fast with a chance of injury or slow and without consequence.

That makes sense, but is not true for the game, at lest for me. I constantly run out of daytime and can barely play a few minutes outside until I need to retreat from the dark again. :P

But yeah I guess these times are meant to balance the game so you can't break down every single item in a building within a single minute, but still... Let's figure out HOW it could work in a balanced manner and then request a change. :)

No no, I think the break down times are to slow. Think of when your in the cold, your just starting out and you have very (warm) little clothing. The break down time of a certain cedar limb in Mystery lake (with a hatchet) is one hour. One hour means you go from full warmth to freezing and almost certainly hypothermia. Not good.

No no, I think the break down times are to slow. Think of when your in the cold, your just starting out and you have very (warm) little clothing. The break down time of a certain cedar limb in Mystery lake (with a hatchet) is one hour. One hour means you go from full warmth to freezing and almost certainly hypothermia. Not good.

Exactly. That's why I said that we should figure out how to "rebalance" it. We can't make it almost instant, but yeah these current numbers are ridiculous. :P

That seems a bit too nit-picky for the game. This game doesn't seem to be heading down that path. They might looking towards "smash-and-grab" scenarios more than "take it apart one piece at a time". Maybe you could get some scrap metal from something as large as a shelf, but in my mind the developers are moving towards the "in this world, time really counts. No time to be nit-picky."

- Grimsley99

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived