Add a HACKSAW to game inventory items

SonoftheThrone

I like it, they're light and would make quick work of antlers or bones too. Someone brought up the idea of boltcutters in another topic, I like the idea, but a decent pair is just too darn heavy to pack around. A hacksaw would serve the same purpose, but would take much longer and blades wear out quick, (just like real life, hah!)

I think they'd present an interesting challenge, picture this: Your exploring a new area, a blizzard strikes, desperate, freezing, you stumble across a building. You get close and there's a big fat padlock on the door, and no other way in. What do you do? Spend the time to hacksaw through the lock and hope you don't freeze? (and pray your hacksaw wasn't made by Harbor Freight?) Or push onward and hope there's some other shelter nearby?

Sam

I like it, they're light and would make quick work of antlers or bones too. Someone brought up the idea of boltcutters in another topic, I like the idea, but a decent pair is just too darn heavy to pack around. A hacksaw would serve the same purpose, but would take much longer and blades wear out quick, (just like real life, hah!)

I think they'd present an interesting challenge, picture this: Your exploring a new area, a blizzard strikes, desperate, freezing, you stumble across a building. You get close and there's a big fat padlock on the door, and no other way in. What do you do? Spend the time to hacksaw through the lock and hope you don't freeze? (and pray your hacksaw wasn't made by Harbor Freight?) Or push onward and hope there's some other shelter nearby?

Sam

+1

I have be re-thinking this...

The prybar should be more limited in its use. For instance, if prybars only worked a few times (or only once) then using one becomes a tough choice. Do I open these lockers in the dam and pray the lottery works out in my favor? Do I save them for the cars stuck in PV or out on CH? Maybe I should use it to get into this bunker I found (if bunkers were locked)? What if some of the common doors in the game were locked? Then we don't really need a new set of locks/tools. We just need to balance the set we have. Right now I am at 116 Days and have 5 prybars, with only ML and part of PV explored. I am still using the first prybar I found with the other gathering dust back at base, unused.

Either that or lock more stuff. Make a prybar like a knife or an axe. You find a place but can't get in. Or you find a desk but the drawers are locked. The player could chop into the item with an axe (causing wear and possible damage to the items inside). The player could try to jimmy the lock with the knife (increasing wear and maybe snapping the blade). The player could try to force the object open (possibly causing damage to the player, damage to what is inside and maybe never actually getting in). Walking down CH and finding home after home locked. The player freezing to death, looking at shelter but just to weak to bash down the door.

I am going to rescind my +1. The devs just need to retool what is locked already in the game and/or tone down the number of prybar uses. This means the devs don't have to make new tools and they don't have to make new locks. They just need to change what can be locked in the game and how many times this overt key can be used :)

I saw bolt cutters mentioned. They are in the game since August last year, confirmed, straight from a dev. Just not used, yet. They might have been put on hold or the idea simply dropped. They could make an appearance in the August update, no way to know. It would be nice. One year since first introduced they are released to cut cut cut :)

I have be re-thinking this...

The prybar should be more limited in its use. For instance, if prybars only worked a few times (or only once) then using one becomes a tough choice. Do I open these lockers in the dam and pray the lottery works out in my favor? Do I save them for the cars stuck in PV or out on CH? Maybe I should use it to get into this bunker I found (if bunkers were locked)? What if some of the common doors in the game were locked? Then we don't really need a new set of locks/tools. We just need to balance the set we have. Right now I am at 116 Days and have 5 prybars, with only ML and part of PV explored. I am still using the first prybar I found with the other gathering dust back at base, unused.

Either that or lock more stuff. Make a prybar like a knife or an axe. You find a place but can't get in. Or you find a desk but the drawers are locked. The player could chop into the item with an axe (causing wear and possible damage to the items inside). The player could try to jimmy the lock with the knife (increasing wear and maybe snapping the blade). The player could try to force the object open (possibly causing damage to the player, damage to what is inside and maybe never actually getting in). Walking down CH and finding home after home locked. The player freezing to death, looking at shelter but just to weak to bash down the door.

I am going to rescind my +1. The devs just need to retool what is locked already in the game and/or tone down the number of prybar uses. This means the devs don't have to make new tools and they don't have to make new locks. They just need to change what can be locked in the game and how many times this overt key can be used :)

I agree, but I still think a hacksaw would be nice. It could be a good alternative for cutting up limbs and branches as well as a way to get into locked things. a versatile tool that quickly degrades, in case you dont want to break your hatchet or prybar.

Prybar is the right tool for a locked door or to remove the boards on boarded up cabins...

...and last nearly forever...that's what my experience is with prybars.

I've never ever 'ruined' a prybar to a point where it had become useless...or thrown it away after using it once or twice...did you?

I'm just wondering:

What is the point in restricting the use of an item such as a prybar...when so many of you all are looking for the 'ultimate realism' in the game?

Prybar is the right tool for a locked door or to remove the boards on boarded up cabins...

...and last nearly forever...that's what my experience is with prybars.

I've never ever 'ruined' a prybar to a point where it had become useless...or thrown it away after using it once or twice...did you?

I'm just wondering:

What is the point in restricting the use of an item such as a prybar...when so many of you all are looking for the 'ultimate realism' in the game?

Honestly, I agree. I know that there's some level of gameplay balance in the degrading of items, but yeah in real life none of this stuff would break nearly as easily as it does.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

well it works for harvesting carcasses but is slower than the knife unless frozen. I don't know if it works on lockers; I forgot to try it. It really should work for harvesting limbs, even faster than the hatchet. 5 minutes a cut and two cuts to get three pieces of wood.

Archived