And, On the 12th Day, He Stacked Liquid Combustables

kaynesyduin

What about consolidating kerosene; looking at the Bottle of Lantern Fuel and the Jerry Can items... Maybe make it possible to transfer kerosene between the two containers, as well as, allow them to exist whenever empty... And, if you need to dispose of the empties, harvest them for scrap metal.

+1 for this as well

Whilst on the topic of fuel I also want to be able to choose the amount of fuel that I can add to a starting fire from the Jerry Can and maybe from the smaller fire gasoline things (the name escapes me)

0.10L - 70% chance of fire success

0.20L - 85% chance of fire success etc...

4L - 100% chance of melting the region ;) (Pleny of potable water though! ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The game does consolidate matches (and possibly lantern fuel/jerry cans ... I don't have nearly as many of those to have noticed) when they have the same condition level. When their condition levels are different, they are in separate stacks, the same as with skins and guts that have cured to different amounts.

If you were mixing stacks of matches/fuels that have different conditions, there would need to be some way of adjusting the conditions to reflect the fact that you mixed really degraded fuel with good fuel, for example.

And stackable matches! +1

Matches could very easily be stackable. Create a "wooden matches" entry and a "cardboard matches" entry and lists of each quality % of matches inside the item.

+1 to all the suggestions to allow you to combine fuel and retain empty containers for reuse/harvesting.

If you were mixing stacks of matches/fuels that have different conditions, there would need to be some way of adjusting the conditions to reflect the fact that you mixed really degraded fuel with good fuel, for example.

See above re: matches.

For fuel, the devs are already playing fast and loose with fuel quality. Some of this is a limitation of what they want to code into the game engine, other parts are to minimize the pressure on people to immediately clear out all the maps.

As for your 'accounting for mixing' issue. Why? Why not just use whatever calculation happens when you harvest fuel from a lamp, or (if there is none from lamps) just calculate a simple average based on the volume and quality of the two containers being combined?

This game is (on a fundamental level) all about inventory management. Yes, it's about exploring the (beautiful) maps, and battling the elements, and fighting off hostile wolves. But all of those things are accomplished through managing your inventory.

Bottlenecks in managing inventory need to be evaluated just as thoroughly as balancing how fast wolves chew your face off, or exactly how many minutes you can survive in the cold before freezing.

The game is already combining matches into stacks when they have the same condition. I just combined two boxes of wooden matches that were wall at 78% durability into one giant stack. Then I did the same thing with two boxes of matches that were both at 85%. Then I transferred a stack of cardboard matches that was at 76% into my inventory, where I had another stack of cardboard matches at 76% I now have one stack of 40 cardboard matches at 76% rather than two. The separate stacks of matches in my containers that will not combine all have different durability.

Why would you want to combine more durable fuel with less durable fuel if the result was going to be an average? That would mean you were was degrading the less degraded fuel on purpose, rather than being able to use all the most degraded fuel first, leaving the fuel that's still at high durability for later. You'd have, say, a can of fuel at 25% and another at 75% that combined into a big one at 50%. That doesn't matter if you aren't surviving a long time, but I had a 300+ day game where I had cardboard matches that got to 0% durability and vanished. Mixing high-qualty fuel with low-quality fuel and ending up with average-quality fuel doesn't make sense if you're trying to survive for a long time.

I'd rather take a slow, encumbered trip from one map to another than get one giant container of fuel that is going to get to 0% durability and disappear faster.

The game is already combining matches into stacks when they have the same condition. I just combined two boxes of wooden matches that were wall at 78% durability into one giant stack. Then I did the same thing with two boxes of matches that were both at 85%. Then I transferred a stack of cardboard matches that was at 76% into my inventory, where I had another stack of cardboard matches at 76% I now have one stack of 40 cardboard matches at 76% rather than two. The separate stacks of matches in my containers that will not combine all have different durability.

I have something like 15 stacks of matches on my 200+ day game. I would much rather have two stacks of matches that list the individual qualities within the stacks so I only see the qualities when I'm looking at my matches.

IOW...I only care about the quality of my matches when I want to use matches. When I'm scrolling through my gear to find my hatchet or bedroll or rifle, I don't want to have to scroll past extra stacks of matches.

It's a QoL/convenience issue.

Why would you want to combine more durable fuel with less durable fuel if the result was going to be an average? That would mean you were was degrading the less degraded fuel on purpose, rather than being able to use all the most degraded fuel first, leaving the fuel that's still at high durability for later. You'd have, say, a can of fuel at 25% and another at 75% that combined into a big one at 50%. That doesn't matter if you aren't surviving a long time, but I had a 300+ day game where I had cardboard matches that got to 0% durability and vanished. Mixing high-qualty fuel with low-quality fuel and ending up with average-quality fuel doesn't make sense if you're trying to survive for a long time.

In my games I don't get a big spread in jerry can fuel quality. Two cans of fuel, one at 72% and one at 67% are close enough for me that I would prefer to have one can of fuel. Then I can carry the whole !@#$-ing amount in one can from one map to another, instead of carrying two heavy jerry cans that each have a small amount of fuel in them. In most cases, I find the weight of the can is more than the weight of the fuel. :(

There's a similar issue with the tiny bottles of lamp oil (which do tend to have a large variation in quality). Even so there are times when reducing weight is more useful than worrying about the quality of one bottle over the other. Especially when there's only a little bit in each bottle but there's not enough empty space in the lamp to empty them there.

I do the same thing in my own real life. If I have two open bottles of something, I'll marry them into one bottle and throw out the extra container. You might be the sort of person who checks the expiration date and then keeps both around, using up first one and then the other. Neither of us is "right" or "wrong" it's just the way we approach managing stuff.

I'd rather take a slow, encumbered trip from one map to another than get one giant container of fuel that is going to get to 0% durability and disappear faster.

And that's the way you like to play the game. Other people don't. Some of us would like to weigh the decision of when to combine fuel and when not to.

+1 to the idea of being able to drain liquid from containers, and put in in another container. Such as transferring the kerosene from one storm lantern to another, so I don't have to simply take a second/heavy lantern that I don't need, just to carry the fuel.

As to degradation - doesn't kerosene last years, even decades before losing potency, if even then? I wonder if it makes sense to not even have a "quality" for kerosene - it should always be good. I guess if you let water into it, that could be bad, and perhaps the degradation effect currently employed mimics the effect of condensation from heat/cold cycles introducing water into the fuel - but that would mean a completely full jerry can (no room for condensation) would never degrade, while the more empty it is, the faster it would degrade.

Archived