Food - noob player

nicko

Hi- I purchased the latest alpha beta recently. Played it maybe 9hrs total so far.

Have also been reading tips/guides by posts here and on steam forums. Seems some you have ability to access all maps etc? to me the alpha is limited to the 1 lake map? or do they get unlocked for some special users?

Also I find this game pretty hard, I think the most I have lasted is 3 days. atm I find I just run out of food. I try to go from place to place to find resources to hunt gather food etc but fail :( either cause I do not have a knife or gun, and they seem the hardest to locate/find. Need more food :) the few cans of food/drink I can find in cabins etc. will only last a few days. So really I guess you need to hunt for food. no gun no knife means death?

Any tips for would be great or is the latest alpha just way hard.

Maps unlock when you first visit them, so the first time you go to Costal Highway or Pleasant Valley from Mistery Lake, that maps gets unlocked an so on :)

My tip for survival is, until you know the maps and where things have a chance to spawn, if its above -20 outside, you're not freezing and there's daylight, explore. You'll find knives/hatchets/rifles sooner or later. It's hard to survive without them.

thanks but that's what I say they do not unlock - maybe alpha issue?

I'm sure I have visited other areas many times, by chance. even says so when you travel/ follow rail road.

Either way we new players - we seem to only access/play the sand box lake map for now?

It's not a bug...

The maps do unlock, but you have to travel from one map to the other using one of the transition zones (which you need to find). Once you cross the transition map to the new map, that new one is unlocked for all future play. The other maps so far are Coastal Highway, and Pleasant Valley.

If it's still locked then that just means you haven't been to it yet.

I'm sure I have visited other areas many times, by chance. even says so when you travel/ follow rail road.

You would know if you've been to the other map because of all the buildings, the paved road area, and the sea area. If the "even says so" is for the Ravine map [which is just the transition map], then you need to reach the far end of that area to reach the Coastal Highway map.

There's also a different passage to reach the Pleasant Valley map.

There are transition areas that do not unlock the next area. You have to completely travel through the transition area before entering the next map. Tip, some areas are a one way trip, so be careful :)

As for food, try gathering cattails. 150 calories a pop, and with there being so many it is easy to stock up for those lean times also as stated, weather is not your friend, so try traveling only when it is nice out if you can.

Hi nicko. Everything the others have said is true, but I just wanted to let you know that when I first started playing, I was only surviving for three days too. On easy mode. It does get easier - you will pick up tips and tricks as you learn the game.

Here are a few tips that might help you:

1) Don't get too cold! If you get too cold, you burn up calories faster and get hungry again very quickly. If you don't have the right tools, then everything you try to do takes longer and it's easy to stay outside too long. Before you leave your base, make sure you have at least one piece of cedar and some tinder with you. Then if you start to get cold you can start a fire. You can also start a fire before you start harvesting any deer that you find, so you don't get cold when you're trying to get the meat. If you cook tinned food or mushrooms or tea/coffee over the fire, they will make you warmer as well as give you energy. When you're walking, try to keep an eye out for possible shelter so you know where to go if a storm hits.

2) If you don't have a rifle or bow, and are running low on food, travel along rivers and look for plants. Tree stumps are also good places to find food. If you see a wolf eating a deer, do you have anything to scare the wolf away with? Then you could eat the deer. If a wolf attacks you before running away, you can go away to heal and then when you've recovered look around to see if the wolf died overnight. A wolf carcass has enough meat on it to keep you going for a few days. Think about making a snare to catch rabbits, because you don't need any tools to make them.

Good luck!

There are transition areas that do not unlock the next area. You have to completely travel through the transition area before entering the next map. Tip, some areas are a one way trip, so be careful :).

1. Death is the only one way trip. All other places have a way back. There is a door that once you walk out it you cant go back, but there are other ways back.

2. wind will kill your fire if built out in the open. so do activitys is short times. Basically don't built a fire in the open then harvest something or sleep for long periods of time.

3. take your time experiment and look around a lot. Start a small map on a piece of paper it will help.

You don't even need a knife to harvest deer. A hatchet will do.

There are deer carcasses strewn all over the map. Find them. Harvest them. Eat them.

I'm not a big fan of ice fishing, because most fish will barely replenish the amount of time and energy it takes to obtain them and cook them, but if you're in a pinch, it's better than nothing, and maybe you'll get lucky and catch that Coho Salmon which will get you through another day.

Snares are a good way of keeping your food supply up as well; once you've settled in, make yourself four or five snares, place them in an area where you see bunnies hopping around and come back the next day. That'll also allow you to make rabbit skin mitts.

There are transition areas that do not unlock the next area. You have to completely travel through the transition area before entering the next map. Tip, some areas are a one way trip, so be careful :)

As for food, try gathering cattails. 150 calories a pop, and with there being so many it is easy to stock up for those lean times also as stated, weather is not your friend, so try traveling only when it is nice out if you can.

i wont give it away but the one way door in the dam is not 1 way you can get back in if you look closely in area.

it is probably how fluffy got in there...

i wont give it away but the one way door in the dam is not 1 way you can get back in if you look closely in area.

it is probably how fluffy got in there...

I already found what you're talking about, I was just saying some entrances you can't go back through :P

thanks guys for all the tips comments.

still I just started a new sandbox - so basically from the start.

What I find that suck is you get spawned randomly on the map. might be good for some but hell I just got used to one area of survival now i'm lost again in another. no chance. lasted few hours cause my random spawn was in a blizzard with a crap little shelter next to a pond.

sure i managed to find a few things to survice a knife and can of something. I harvested some wood to light a fire to get warmer. even found that dead dear to harvest some meat. but as dark came I seemed to be doomed running out of wood again, calories burning faster than the first i just built.

Sandbox should be have option for random spawn or start from the main base by the way.

I think the idea is that you're a pilot who's survived a crash, and you're suddenly faced with a survival situation. That's why you start somewhere random; there isn't a main base. I know it's frustrating at first, but don't be discouraged. I think there are less than a dozen starting points, so you'll soon get familiar with them.

Yeah, sounds like you had a hard start that game. Next time you probably won't start in a blizzard! I think it's always good to remember the survival priorities: shelter first, then water, then food. So I think your chances of survival would have been higher if you'd kept looking around for a better shelter. In the beginning of the game there will be food almost anywhere you go, and you can actually last for over 24 hours without eating anything before you'd die.

I think I know where you started, and there are a couple of cabins within easy walking distance of that pond. You only have to find one once, and then you'd remember it for all your other games too.

Ultimately, the answers to almost all of your questions and complaints can be found in the title of your posting. You're a noob. I couldn't even guess how many dozen times I died before I finally survived just 20 days in a row. This game is supposed to be hard. Especially at first. But stick with it. The only bad death is one which you learn nothing from. And you will die playing this game. A lot.

Some tips though:

(In absolutely no order or semblance of organization whatsoever)

* Don't leave Mystery Lake for Coastal Highway until you've made all of the craft able clothing. Not because you need them to survive the next area, but just because by the time you're able to make all that crap, you're a long way toward having the skills you need for long term survival.

* If you're gonna build a fire indoors, plan on making a lot of potable water. Why waste the wood by just letting it burn?

* fresh raw meat is your friend, so don't be afraid to eat it. Yes, the risk for food poisoning goes up as the condition of the meat gets worse. But I've safely eaten raw meat as low as 50% and not gotten sick. Only cook the meat on a stove, when you have a bunch to cook. Again, why waste the wood if you don't have to. Also, don't worry about storing raw meat. Once you cook it, the risk of getting sick is almost non-existent. It's ok to let the condition of the raw meat get pretty low before cooking it.

*read the forums and use Google. Chances are someone had already asked any question you might have, and someone else has already answered it.

*In hibernation mode, 700 calories can last you 3 days. But that's boring survival.

Keep playing, and keep dying. Eventually you'll figure out the maps, the spawn points, and how to interpret and even predict the wolf and bear behavior. And don't be shy about playing on an easier level of difficulty until you understand the game a little better. There's no shame in making a survival run in Pilgrim to figure TLD out.

Have fun and happy surviving.

thanks for the tips guys, have started a story instead of playing sandbox. Heaps easier I have found. Maybe because I learn't from sandbox first. Tip noobs start a story not a sandbox.

Anyways I getting to know the map. Have explored found a rifle shot a wolf attacking a dear and harvested both lol. Have loads of food,skins etc now so busy cooking/crafting etc. My cabin floor looks a mess - stuff everywhere. Is there a way to place items on the kitchen desktops? main cabin?

Archived