The Long Dark 2?

hozz1235

3 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I can  imagine...  In game will and Astrid probably don't either lol.. unless they've had a lot of dunkings.

That should be added to the affliction list

”Stinky”

Draws bears and cougars

only fix is an occasional ice water bath

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Semple Fi said:

That should be added to the affliction list

”Stinky”

Draws bears and cougars

only fix is an occasional ice water bath

Lol...

I like that idea..   forces you to take extra risks...  Be smelly or risk taking your gear off and having a wolf steal your clothes

• Upvote 2

Yeah, it's a first look sneak peek, so of course it's just one iittle scene. From a single scene we can get some ideas about: art style, setting, engine, even some story hints and gameplay hints. It's not nothing, and it's not everything, why would it be.

We have had no idea until now what Hinterland's next game was going to be, not any idea of genre or setting or anything. It could've been a Candy Crush clone for all we knew. Now we've seen this little scene we know an awful lot more, and because we're fans, that's interesting and a bit exciting.

• Upvote 5

On 2/1/2024 at 7:13 PM, Leeanda said:

Very true...       I haven't seen many swamps if I'm honest. None in real life but in game they look great.  

Me neither 😁 I've been to swampy areas near lakes, too small to be called a swamp I guess. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/1/2024 at 8:39 PM, Semple Fi said:

IRL they don’t smell great….

Lol, my biggest concern would be the fauna that lives there, particularly leaches o-o bleeeeh

But, to me, Forlorn doesn't look like a stinky swamp 🤔

3 minutes ago, bysinda said:

Me neither 😁 I've been to swampy areas near lakes, too small to be called a swamp I guess. 

The ones in nature programs tend to be accessible by boat only ,so somewhere like forlorn could be a nightmare on foot,if it was remotely possible.. .

Wed need waders either way😁

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, bysinda said:

Lol, my biggest concern would be the fauna that lives there, particularly leaches o-o bleeeeh

But, to me, Forlorn doesn't look like a stinky swamp 🤔

I always associate swamp with Louisiana, where it’s hot and wet.  And stinky.  
@Leeanda I would say those are probably better descriptions, especially since it’s colder. 

made me Google it 😂

The difference between the two is that swamps usually have deeper standing water and are wet for longer periods of the year, according to the National Parks Service. Marshes have rich, waterlogged soils that support plant life, according to National Geographic.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Semple Fi said:

I always associate swamp with Louisiana, where it’s hot and wet.  And stinky.  
@Leeanda I would say those are probably better descriptions, especially since it’s colder. 

made me Google it 😂

The difference between the two is that swamps usually have deeper standing water and are wet for longer periods of the year, according to the National Parks Service. Marshes have rich, waterlogged soils that support plant life, according to National Geographic.

Lol...sorry😁

I like how questions in the forum lead to interesting facts and things....

Having said that ,it could just be a dip that is prone to occasional flooding lol..     the water doesn't seem deep enough for a swamp really,

• Upvote 1

It's already classed as muskeg, which is similar to marsh or swamp in that it's waterladen and stagnant.

"Muskeg forms because permafrost, clay or bedrock prevents water drainage. The water from rain and snow collects, forming permanently waterlogged vegetation and stagnant pools."

"Although, at first glance, muskeg resembles a plain covered with short grasses, a closer look reveals a bizarre and almost unearthly landscape. Small stands of stunted (often-dead) trees, which vaguely resemble natural “bonsai”, grow where land protrudes above the water table, with small pools of water (stained dark red) scattered about. Its grassland appearance invites the unwary to tread on it; however, even the most solid muskeg is spongy and waterlogged. Traveling through muskeg is a strange and dangerous experience, for the unaccustomed. Muskeg can grow atop bodies of water, especially small ponds and streams. Because of the water beneath, the muskeg surface sometimes moves and ripples underfoot. Thinner patches can collapse under significant weight, and cause larger animals to fall-through and become trapped underneath, drowning if an escape route is not found."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muskeg

Frankly, I think I prefer the thin ice.

Edited by xanna
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, xanna said:

It's already classed as muskeg, which is similar to marsh or swamp in that it's waterladen and stagnant.

"Muskeg forms because permafrost, clay or bedrock prevents water drainage. The water from rain and snow collects, forming permanently waterlogged vegetation and stagnant pools."

"Although, at first glance, muskeg resembles a plain covered with short grasses, a closer look reveals a bizarre and almost unearthly landscape. Small stands of stunted (often-dead) trees, which vaguely resemble natural “bonsai”, grow where land protrudes above the water table, with small pools of water (stained dark red) scattered about. Its grassland appearance invites the unwary to tread on it; however, even the most solid muskeg is spongy and waterlogged. Traveling through muskeg is a strange and dangerous experience, for the unaccustomed. Muskeg can grow atop bodies of water, especially small ponds and streams. Because of the water beneath, the muskeg surface sometimes moves and ripples underfoot. Thinner patches can collapse under significant weight, and cause larger animals to fall-through and become trapped underneath, drowning if an escape route is not found."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muskeg

Frankly, I think I prefer the thin ice.

image.gif.1914d57f6959453aeaac1f67c80a5325.gif

• Upvote 3