Better crafted torches

Stranzua

I know that there are a lot of posts about the torch system, brands, etc. Right now, I would be happy with just making crafted torches stronger. Just make them burn 15 to 20% longer and give us a reason to craft torches. This small upgrade will not replace pulling torches from a fire, but it will allow us to utilize crafted torches when we are heavy and don't to carry around 5 to 10 to 15 torches. 

• Upvote 2

Crafted torches are 100% condition, which is 100 minutes burn time, vs pulled torches which are between 20-50%, or 20-50 minutes. So crafting torches already has a big advantage. What kind of numbers are you suggesting?

• Upvote 2

From a realism standpoint, I agree. A crafted torch is... well, crafted. It's supposed to do what it does. A torch that you pull from the fire is just a burning piece of wood without cloth or oil. As @xanna mentioned, crafted torches already have a large burn-time advantage, and if you're going to differentiate crafted and pulled torches any further, it might just be simpler to bring back the brands.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, xanna said:

Crafted torches are 100% condition, which is 100 minutes burn time, vs pulled torches which are between 20-50%, or 20-50 minutes. So crafting torches already has a big advantage. What kind of numbers are you suggesting?

Pulling torches from a fire are free so crafting torches isn't worth it. I would suggest making them burn 15 to 20% longer just to encourage people to actually craft them. I mean, does anyone actually craft torches?

Plus, this is only a small suggestion compared to the overhaul of the entire torch system that we have discussed on this platform before. Personally, I would prefer new resources like 'tree resin' and 'oil filled rags' that can be used in new recipes to craft stronger torches. I wasn't playing when brands weren't in the game so I can't comment on them. 

I don't think TLD can handle items with higher condition that 100%. So in effect what you're asking is to cap the condition of pulled torches at 40% rather than the current cap at 50%.

Would that make crafted torches more useful by comparison? Uh, sure, I guess. But I'd still use the pulled ones most. 40% is still fine.

• Upvote 2

20% longer means they would have two hours burn time. That's a lot! But 100 minutes is already a lot. If people don't craft for 100 minutes, I don't think they'd craft for 120.

To spark a behaviour change, I think you'd have to nerf pulled torches, and nerf them quite a bit. Lots of players consider them OP so there's an argument to be made for that. But personally I don't want to change them.

• Upvote 2

I'd like to use less torches and more spelunkers but the glare from it is too much ,sometimes completely blocking the field of vision.. so I use pulled torches regularly.. to save them a bit I run through caves and places like the dam...  

I could  see torches losing a little bit of popularity because of having to fish more often to prevent scurvy,therefore more fuel for the lanterns...  

I do prefer torch light though.

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

The real issue here is pulled torches being too OP.

They are way too cheap that it makes no sense to craft 100% torches unless you restrict yourself from pulling torches.

Personally, I would like them to bring back brands instead but that may be an unpopular opinion. Plus, I could simply just not use torches at all - I actually am enjoying my torchless runs more tbh - so I suppose I'm not too bothered if pulled torches still remain the same.

Edited by gotmilkanot
  • Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Stranzua said:

I mean, does anyone actually craft torches?

I do... they are much more efficient than a lantern using an equivalent amount of fuel and are very cheap. Sometimes I'm just in a hurry and can't be bothered to stop, light a fire, and then pull a dozen 20% torches when I can just craft three or four 100%-ers before heading out that will usually get me wherever I'm going without having to stop and light a new one. It might not be more efficient in game-time, but it is in real-time ;).

• Upvote 4

pulled torches are "free"...you don't need oil, you don't need cloth. Since you're making fires anyways it makes sense to make a fire before the cave, boil up the water you will need for the trip and cook any meat you gathered on the way, then grab whatever torches you need when that's ready.

Also since it came up....fish cures scurvy?...geez.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, odizzido said:

pulled torches are "free"...you don't need oil, you don't need cloth. Since you're making fires anyways it makes sense to make a fire before the cave, boil up the water you will need for the trip and cook any meat you gathered on the way, then grab whatever torches you need when that's ready.

Also since it came up....fish cures scurvy?...geez.

Some fish more than others I gather...  But they are renewable and you don't have to wait for respawns so I suppose it makes sense...

It's not how it works though. I looked up how much vitamin C a number of fish had to make sure and it all came back as none. I just find it strange that there are ways you could prevent scurvy in the game but they chose to do it a way that, AFAIK, does not prevent scurvy in real life.

Anyways this is off topic again. It's just that I hear things about this game on the forums and I always seem to be scratching my head wondering what is going on. The longer this game is developed the less sense it makes it seems. I hope "scurvy" isn't in story mode.

• Upvote 1

A lot of things make no sense,in game and real life lol..      

I've lost a few full torches by clicking on the add fuel button too quickly..   it's one of the reasons I don't make them very often..  and there are a few out in the world to find already..

• Upvote 2

Instead of adding burn time, crafted torches can also be slightly improved by making them weigh less, making them more wind resistant, making them light fires faster, allowing them to be lit with a magnifying glass, making them burn slower the colder it gets, having them give off more light, having them give off more heat, having a ruined crafted torch add twice as much fuel to a fire. If adding more burn time is too much, I still think that improving them in some way would be cool.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1