Rudiger machine: *******

We have now see that there is the machine. And it is still operational during aurora. Is it the machine the key why common aurora fries everything electric and turn wildlife mad? Maybe Will and Astrid will have to disable the thing to restore nature balance. But if it is so, whats in the hardcase? If there were some explosives in Blackrock, there might be some on other places? Maybe the hardcase contain some keys to disable the machine. Or Astrid is bigger badass than we thought and the case contains mini-nuke (in which case the Langond mine could be more toxic than before).

And where is Rudiger? Is his mind in the machine, driving wildlife mad every aurora night? Or as we got glimpse he is walking like Nightwalker on the Great Bear?

Questions are piling instead of being answered.

1 hour ago, acada said:

Yes the story seems to be going to Perseverance Mills while the survival tales are now in Langston mine. I just wonder if those are two stews brewing separately or there is any connection.

I don't think HL would attempt to link Wintermute to Tales since Tales is paid DLC.

• Upvote 1

• Admin changed the title to Rudiger machine: *******

I recently finished the Tale also.... and while it was SUPER fun & challenging, it didn't really add anything to the story. Very vague. And the security chief died somewhere on her way to "destroy" the machine but clearly failed since it's still operational.

I feel like it added more questions but didn't answer any. The logs are frustratingly vague. I prefer tension from concepts that I know are a threat/problem/danger/etc and not tension from just not knowing WHAT you are supposed to be concerned about. I assume more details will come in later Tales.

I didn't realize this would be another extended multi-part story. I originally thought "Tales" would be individual contained mini stories since Wintermute is the major multi-chapter story. But this is feeling like another Wintermute. That's a great or bad thing depending (to me) on if it gets more substantial & concludes concretely. I'm happy to journey through a multi-tale story if it goes somewhere. 😁

So far what I've gleaned is:

- A slightly unhinged scientist discovered a new technology. Using a power-sucking underground machine he conducted experiments on people that makes them hallucinate/dream/dimension shift... which ultimately makes them crazy. Even people nearby start to suffer ill effects.

To what end? How does it work? What is his goal? What is happening to the people? Where is Rudiger?

*tense "to be continued" music plays* dun dun duuunnnn!! 🤔

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sherri said:

I feel like it added more questions but didn't answer any. The logs are frustratingly vague. I prefer tension from concepts that I know are a threat/problem/danger/etc and not tension from just not knowing WHAT you are supposed to be concerned about. I assume more details will come in later Tales.

I felt the same way.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2023 at 7:06 AM, hozz1235 said:

I don't think HL would attempt to link Wintermute to Tales since Tales is paid DLC.

Well in the roadmap it says they do.

"Story within Survival. Instead of Challenges, TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY will include three narrative-driven Tales, stories of the territory's mysterious past, each with narrative-focused gameplay objectives that help build up the story of Great Bear Island, and connect back to the WINTERMUTE storyline which culminates in Episode Five."

Mixed feelings as well as far as I'm concerned. More questions than answers every time; I felt a bit like I did when I was watching Lost, which can't be a good thing.... but then again it was fun to explore and find the stuff. I DID prefer Signal Void in that the sequence of events and the progress were clear and linear. Here I found myself doing things in an awkward order, having to go back places I thought I was done with, etc.

Since I died in the mine a couple of times, I had to redo SV in order to get back and resume BE. That was a major source of frustration, and I really think something should be done in order to avoid that.... like only having to pick up the radio receptor if you already have badges from the previous tales, or something like that.

• Upvote 1