Bears steal fish???

Cattleman

So I started a stalker run this past weekend in TWM. Yesterday after the 2.26 patch dropped I was finally able to go on a bear hunt.

I jad stuck an arrow into a bear from hiding and tracked him until he quit running scared. I then proceeded to get him to follow me. My plan was to lead him close to the Mountaineers Hut (my base of operations in TWM) so he would hopefully die near it.

As he came with his sensorys range of the hut and completely lost interest in following me. Instead he made a bee-line for the hut, walked up the front path, stole one of the 3 raw fish from the previous day's fishing trip, and ran away scared to die during the night.

The fish were laying on the ground a few feet down the front path from the hut.

The fish had been caught and left there the day before I hunted my bear.

So is wildlife stealing meat and fish stored outside finally a thing? If so... I LOVE IT.

If there is anyone that can confirm that they have experienced similar events? Or maybe do some testing??? (Looking at you @hozz1235)

2 hours ago, Cattleman said:

So is wildlife stealing meat and fish stored outside finally a thing? If so... I LOVE IT.

If there is anyone that can confirm that they have experienced similar events? Or maybe do some testing??? (Looking at you @hozz1235)

This is a delayed function of the decoy mechanic that's been in the game for a long time and it's fairly easy to reproduce.

Whenever you drop smelly things on the ground, whether you use your inventory or the "drop decoy" key, it's considered a decoy if a wolf or bear is in an aggro state and gets close to the dropped item(s).  A wolf does not need to be aggroed on you but can aggro on a deer or rabbit, get close to your previously dropped items, and take one.  Leaving the region resets it, but I think maybe going indoors overnight does not.  I don't know if there are other ways to reset it without leaving the region.

In your case, you had previously dropped the fish outside of the fishing hut.  Later, when the aggroed bear came close to the fish, it detected them as a decoy and took one.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

This is a delayed function of the decoy mechanic that's been in the game for a long time and it's fairly easy to reproduce.

Whenever you drop smelly things on the ground, whether you use your inventory or the "drop decoy" key, it's considered a decoy if a wolf or bear is in an aggro state and gets close to the dropped item(s).  A wolf does not need to be aggroed on you but can aggro on a deer or rabbit, get close to your previously dropped items, and take one.  Leaving the region resets it, but I think maybe going indoors overnight does not.  I don't know if there are other ways to reset it without leaving the region.

In your case, you had previously dropped the fish outside of the fishing hut.  Later, when the aggroed bear came close to the fish, it detected them as a decoy and took one.

Ok, thank you. That makes sense. Guess I have just never encoutered it before.

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

👍

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Goletitout said:

Why don’t the bears ever go after the dear like the pesky wolves do ? The amount of times I’ve been starving and I stumble across a bear chilling near a dear and I could do with that bear taking out the dear so I can scavenge a meal lol 

Bears don’t like to waste calories 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 8:19 PM, MrWolf said:

A wolf stole one bag of quartered bear from me some time ago - was so pissed ! I didnt think it would take the bag........but it did like a single piece of meat. 

2 hours ago, James Hickok said:

A wolf stole one bag of quartered bear from me some time ago - was so pissed ! I didnt think it would take the bag........but it did like a single piece of meat. 

I've had that happen before, too.   You'd think the wolf would be in a food coma after that but it still doesn't stay satisfied for very long.