Bear Hide Decay

KBear

Hey, I'm a new-ish interloper trying to craft the bearskin coat. It's almost day 40 and I'm just trying to obtain some higher quality clothing items before day 50. Around day 30 I spent a week in PV (you don't realize just how cold that region is until interloper my god) and while there got myself a bear hide (with the goal to craft the coat). With the cold and all I didn't feel I was equipped to stay to get my second hide. I even stuck around searching for one for a few days but eventually gave up and ended up moving to Trappers to hunt my second hide. (I had hunted bear there in previous saves, so I felt I'd be more comfortable doing it there)

I did take my original hide with me from PV with the goal to craft the coat in Trapper's, once I killed and cured my second hide. When I left, the hide was around 60% in condition, and 65% cured. At this point, I'm in Trapper's and I've got my second hide. The only thing is my PV hide is decaying a lot, now at 14% and 99% cured. I've had this problem before with another Interloper save where the first bear hide decayed to 0% while I was still looking for another (died before I got it). My question is can I craft with a 0%, fully cured bear hide? And is there a way I can prevent hide decay in the future? Thanks! 

• Upvote 1

The game has had this propensity of having a curing hide and its condition get out of whack.  I have seen a deer hide and two guts be ruined (0% condition) and 11% cured though that should not have happened if things had gone the way they should have.  

Aside from not putting ruined (0% condition) items into a container of any kind (if you want to be safe) I have found that ruined crafting materials could be used to craft or repair items.  If you want to make that bearskin whatever load up with the cured ruined bearskin and necessary other materials and tools and see if the game would let you craft.  If  it doesn't that will be evident right off the bat.  

I have repaired boots with ruined cured leather so ASSUME that should apply to that ruined but cured bear skin.  

Good luck. 

On 12/11/2023 at 3:33 PM, hozz1235 said:

As long as an item is curing, it should not decay.

This at least used to be different. Curing itself never, afaik, stopped the actual decay process, until the curing process was finished. So you can indeed end up with a hide, especially bear hides, which you have beem carrying around too long, and now they will decay beyond 0% until they cure. Happend to me more than once taking hides with me on my travels, curing them in caves or other indoor locations when I am resting, mostly during loot&scoot interloper games when I score an early bear or moose, and don't want to return to the region, at least not for a while, like AC, HRV or BRR.

You can do the same with other hides and saplings, it just requires a bit of micro management. Doesn't work with guts for obvious reasons... unless you have even more than a death wish than playing interloper alone already indicates.

Has anybody else noticed cured hides decaying since the update, or am I just crazy? Something seems different now, and I can't figure it out. I used to take 99% of my hides indoors immediately, so most of them would be at 100*, even after curing, but now it seems that either they're decaying more while curing, or they continue to decay afterwards. I'm going to have to pull a specific one out for a few days to watch it, in case I need to double back to every base to get all my hides out of containers and onto the floor.

• Upvote 1

Havent any of You noticed increased bear hide decay rate? I think its way faster since the TFTFT update - after the 1 hide to craft bear coat fix i think. If you keep it without curing for too long you will not have enough time to cure it. It will go ruined. I have cured dozens of skins and never had problem but recently i hunted a bear in TWM and took the skin to ML and it didnt cure. The hide took too much damage along the trip and i was going there str8 from twm. On my current run i killed a bear at milton bridge and tookl the skin to ML - it cured but with 14% condition so barely. 

Anyone noticed a change?

Edited by James Hickok

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2023 at 7:26 PM, Toki1666 said:

Has anybody else noticed cured hides decaying since the update, or am I just crazy? Something seems different now, and I can't figure it out. I used to take 99% of my hides indoors immediately, so most of them would be at 100*, even after curing, but now it seems that either they're decaying more while curing, or they continue to decay afterwards. I'm going to have to pull a specific one out for a few days to watch it, in case I need to double back to every base to get all my hides out of containers and onto the floor.

On 12/19/2023 at 8:53 AM, James Hickok said:

Havent any of You noticed increased bear hide decay rate? I think its way faster since the TFTFT update - after the 1 hide to craft bear coat fix i think. If you keep it without curing for too long you will not have enough time to cure it. It will go ruined. I have cured dozens of skins and never had problem but recently i hunted a bear in TWM and took the skin to ML and it didnt cure. The hide took too much damage along the trip and i was going there str8 from twm. On my current run i killed a bear at milton bridge and tookl the skin to ML - it cured but with 14% condition so barely. 

Anyone noticed a change?

Yes, I feel like they used to hold up to the point I never worried about hide decay before. Wouldn't be shocked if they changed it during the update. For me, they do still decay while inside and curing. Nothing I mind to much, just something to be aware of.

12 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Does the same occur with other animal types?

Hasn't it always been the case that hides (and guts) decay while curing?  In my experience, bear hides have always been around 20% (give or take) condition when they're finally cured.

I have three deer hides on the floor right now: 11% cured, 96% condition; 15% cured, 95%; 52% cured, 83%.  Each was 100% when I dropped it.

I've not seen any cured items decay further once they're cured, before or after the recent update.