Maple saplng spawns

artmunki

1 minute ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I started two different custom runs in Ash Canyon after the update and after reading the post about the Curator's Rifle being missing.  In my runs, it was there both times (on the ledge near Wolf's Jaw Overlook).

I did find it in my last run, but the Hunter's Revolver didn't show up that time. I'm not much of a gun-user in this game tho, so I don't mind too much.

5 minutes ago, artmunki said:

I actually got a second Miner's Flashlight somewhere in the Zone - down in the mine I think, tho I can't recall where I left it. Come to think of it, I'm not sure where I left the one I found previously either, but it's not something I'm too worried about anyway. I'm only on my second run since Tales dropped, and both times there's been one unique item missing, so maybe that's a thing. Too early for me to say tho, obviously - 2 is a useless sample-size.  ^_^

I think my son found that one two... Oddly he never thought to use it in the mine during glimmer fog.. cost him a lot of lantern fuel and flares lol..

There's plenty of lighting options though but it is nice to have all the collectable things...

Very odd it's not just one particular item though...

I'm sure theyll get it fixed .

1 hour ago, artmunki said:

I did find it in my last run, but the Hunter's Revolver didn't show up that time. I'm not much of a gun-user in this game tho, so I don't mind too much.

In my saves, I'm finding the variants, but not the regular Hunting Rifle.  The only place I've found one of those so far is, very occasionally, in my Broken Railroad starts.  Despite multiple quick runs checking loot spawns in Ash Canyon, Mystery Lake, Forlorn Muskeg, and Mountain Town, I've yet to find one in any of those zones and the spawns in BRR seem much rarer than before the Frontier Comforts update.

In BRR, on runs with Baseline Resources higher than "Low" (i.e. not interloper settings), there has been in the past a guaranteed spawn of a hatchet and a knife.  Lately, though, I've had several starts where the hatchet (and the campfire it used to spawn beside) is missing altogether.  I've also had a couple of spawns now where the knife is missing (although the sitting corpse it spawned beside has been there).  That corpse for ages has always spawned in 1 of 3 possible locations, which it is still doing; but when the corpse spawns in the cave near the hunter's blind, the knife has been missing every time.  Whether it's spawning underground there, I don't know.

There is definitely some sort of spawning bug occurring - maybe several different bugs - maybe related to each other and maybe not.  HL has some testing and debugging work to do.  I hope they can sort this all out.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

In my saves, I'm finding the variants, but not the regular Hunting Rifle.  The only place I've found one of those so far is, very occasionally, in my Broken Railroad starts.  Despite multiple quick runs checking loot spawns in Ash Canyon, Mystery Lake, Forlorn Muskeg, and Mountain Town, I've yet to find one in any of those zones and the spawns in BRR seem much rarer than before the Frontier Comforts update.

In BRR, on runs with Baseline Resources higher than "Low" (i.e. not interloper settings), there has been in the past a guaranteed spawn of a hatchet and a knife.  Lately, though, I've had several starts where the hatchet (and the campfire it used to spawn beside) is missing altogether.  I've also had a couple of spawns now where the knife is missing (although the sitting corpse it spawned beside has been there).  That corpse for ages has always spawned in 1 of 3 possible locations, which it is still doing; but when the corpse spawns in the cave near the hunter's blind, the knife has been missing every time.  Whether it's spawning underground there, I don't know.

There is definitely some sort of spawning bug occurring - maybe several different bugs - maybe related to each other and maybe not.  HL has some testing and debugging work to do.  I hope they can sort this all out.

A game world of this size is always likely to have a few spawn issues, especially when the developers are in the midst of adding a bunch of new stuff to the game. Normally it's easily overlooked, because in most games the spawns are a lot more random and numerous than in TLD, but in this game resources are sorta more precious, which can make it more obvious when something is missing.

These new saplings already have me convinced that they're doing some degree of tweaking to the resource spawns anyway, and there are some other multi-spawn issues around too - see the barb's gun glitch thread in the general tab, and I'm sure we've all seen multi-spawning sticks and coal all over the place - so it's no surprise if a few things aren't turning up as intended as well. Hinterland seem quite a diligent bunch of peeps tho, so I have little doubt these little annoyances will be ironed out in time.

14 hours ago, Leeanda said:

It's easier to add a few saplings than to add an affliction and respawn all the mushrooms and rosehips.... there really are new maple spawns I can guarantee it.. 

Well i still havent tried the update. If that is the case i really dont understand the logic here. From what ive seen in YT rosehips and mushrooms are not the only thing to counter scurvy and its not that a big of a deal as I suspected. Guess they had they reasons why not add it. The thing that bugs me the most is thst they said NO MORE save wipes. It feels like a save wipe for me. 5 exactly. Ofc ill make new ones but it takes time and if they wipe again i dont know if I will continue playing the game. Time wasted is the worst thing. We will see how they handle next update. 

Still going there on my hardest custom save would be suicide. Ill make a new loper run Again, collect all the stuff from the world again, do the tales again and go check ZoC then. Maybe I will see it by the end of the year. 

2 hours ago, James Hickok said:

Well i still havent tried the update. If that is the case i really dont understand the logic here. From what ive seen in YT rosehips and mushrooms are not the only thing to counter scurvy and its not that a big of a deal as I suspected. Guess they had they reasons why not add it. The thing that bugs me the most is thst they said NO MORE save wipes. It feels like a save wipe for me. 5 exactly. Ofc ill make new ones but it takes time and if they wipe again i dont know if I will continue playing the game. Time wasted is the worst thing. We will see how they handle next update. 

Still going there on my hardest custom save would be suicide. Ill make a new loper run Again, collect all the stuff from the world again, do the tales again and go check ZoC then. Maybe I will see it by the end of the year. 

People would've been unhappy either way.. but I agree with Ralph's decision to leave scurvy out of existing runs..

You only need to start again if you want scurvy,  aren't there enough ailments already for you? Loper is hard enough but don't you play nogoa type ?

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, artmunki said:

A game world of this size is always likely to have a few spawn issues, especially when the developers are in the midst of adding a bunch of new stuff to the game. Normally it's easily overlooked, because in most games the spawns are a lot more random and numerous than in TLD, but in this game resources are sorta more precious, which can make it more obvious when something is missing.

These new saplings already have me convinced that they're doing some degree of tweaking to the resource spawns anyway, and there are some other multi-spawn issues around too - see the barb's gun glitch thread in the general tab, and I'm sure we've all seen multi-spawning sticks and coal all over the place - so it's no surprise if a few things aren't turning up as intended as well. Hinterland seem quite a diligent bunch of peeps tho, so I have little doubt these little annoyances will be ironed out in time.

I'm still not convinced your new saplings are all that new.  As I said, players have been noting additional cat tails spawning into areas they've previously cleared for ages, and doing updates has often tended to reset areas a bit.  The maple counts overall, so far, in the areas I've cleared have been about the same as previously to the update and a couple of maple in an area where you didn't notice them before is not conclusive evidence of them intentionally increasing the numbers of maple in the game in order to incorporate the travois.  Granted,  I haven't been doing loot tests in Transfer Pass since I'm not that familiar with that zone; but one should also cosnider that it is a newer zone and they may have just decided it needed some tweaking overall.

4 hours ago, James Hickok said:

It's NOT a save wipe.  Your save is still playable without using the time capsule.  In addition, there's a bug with scurvy right now that causes it to not activate in some new saves (i.e. Raph mentions that if you set your starting load out to "very high" in custom, it won't kick in).  Clearly they are still working on it, but wanted a release before their Christmas break, so they were cautious - not wanting to crater long-term save files with a still "buggy" affliction.  I agree with their decision.  Also, I don't think it will be very hard for the modders to figure out a way to add it into old saves - easier, I think, than it would be to figure out how to eliminate it if HL had arbitrarily added to all saves (bugs and all).

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I'm still not convinced your new saplings are all that new.  As I said, players have been noting additional cat tails spawning into areas they've previously cleared for ages, and doing updates has often tended to reset areas a bit.  The maple counts overall, so far, in the areas I've cleared have been about the same as previously to the update and a couple of maple in an area where you didn't notice them before is not conclusive evidence of them intentionally increasing the numbers of maple in the game in order to incorporate the travois.  Granted,  I haven't been doing loot tests in Transfer Pass since I'm not that familiar with that zone; but one should also cosnider that it is a newer zone and they may have just decided it needed some tweaking overall.

You make good points. I started the Buried Echoes update in a run that was already past 600 days, and I only play one run at a time, so obviously I can only speak from that experience. If you're finding roughly the same numbers as before in fresh runs, I guess it maybe isn't just a simple boost to spawn numbers - something else is going on here. And yeah, that could totally just be a sorta refresh artefact from the mere fact that there's been a significant update, tho I've only found new maple saplings - no new birch anywhere - which is kinda why I think it's tied to the travois somehow.

That said, the fact that they opted to let existing saves continue without scurvy being worked in does kinda go against that idea too - if they could boost harvestables for the travois, they could do the same for scurvy, right? I play voyageur tho so I don't really go hard on mushrooms & cattails, so I wouldn't really notice if those had been refreshed too, but my current run is still free of the scurvy affliction. So yeah, still none the wiser.

I totally agree about Transfer Pass being a new enough region that maybe they just decided to add some in there anyway, but that doesn't really account for the others I've found. So far I've found those three new/extra maple saplings in Transfer Pass, a stand of 3 or 4 near Justy's Hovel (which I've found in previous runs, but definitely weren't there on this one until the update - haven't been back around much more of the Airfield yet as I was just looking for the new link to the Zone), and 3 or 4 singles in Pleasant Valley, but I haven't found any yet in Ash Canyon (the only other region I've searched so far) so it may not be island-wide. And I haven't found any re-spawned saplings that I'd already nabbed either - so far they've all been new spawns at different sites. I'm gonna keep looking around to see if I can find any more (mostly just cuz it's always nice to give yourself a project in longer games tbh), but we're clearly not talking about a lot of new saplings, so it may not really be all that noticeable in a fresh run.

10 minutes ago, artmunki said:

You make good points. I started the Buried Echoes update in a run that was already past 600 days, and I only play one run at a time, so obviously I can only speak from that experience. If you're finding roughly the same numbers as before in fresh runs, I guess it maybe isn't just a simple boost to spawn numbers - something else is going on here. And yeah, that could totally just be a sorta refresh artefact from the mere fact that there's been a significant update, tho I've only found new maple saplings - no new birch anywhere - which is kinda why I think it's tied to the travois somehow.

That said, the fact that they opted to let existing saves continue without scurvy being worked in does kinda go against that idea too - if they could boost harvestables for the travois, they could do the same for scurvy, right? I play voyageur tho so I don't really go hard on mushrooms & cattails, so I wouldn't really notice if those had been refreshed too, but my current run is still free of the scurvy affliction. So yeah, still none the wiser.

I totally agree about Transfer Pass being a new enough region that maybe they just decided to add some in there anyway, but that doesn't really account for the others I've found. So far I've found those three new/extra maple saplings in Transfer Pass, a stand of 3 or 4 near Justy's Hovel (which I've found in previous runs, but definitely weren't there on this one until the update - haven't been back around much more of the Airfield yet as I was just looking for the new link to the Zone), and 3 or 4 singles in Pleasant Valley, but I haven't found any yet in Ash Canyon (the only other region I've searched so far) so it may not be island-wide. And I haven't found any re-spawned saplings that I'd already nabbed either - so far they've all been new spawns at different sites. I'm gonna keep looking around to see if I can find any more (mostly just cuz it's always nice to give yourself a project in longer games tbh), but we're clearly not talking about a lot of new saplings, so it may not really be all that noticeable in a fresh run.

The Airfield is also a new zone and they were "breaking" into those two anyway to create the entrances to the ZoC, right?

Again, scurvy has bugs in it (acknowledge by Raph) - would you really risk cratering someone's 600-day save with a "known issue" or leave it out of those saves to ensure you don't?  They can always add it in or mods can do that, but if they added it and the bugs did their damage, it wouldn't be a simple thing to undo.

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

The Airfield is also a new zone and they were "breaking" into those two anyway to create the entrances to the ZoC, right?

Again, scurvy has bugs in it (acknowledge by Raph) - would you really risk cratering someone's 600-day save with a "known issue" or leave it out of those saves to ensure you don't?  They can always add it in or mods can do that, but if they added it and the bugs did their damage, it wouldn't be a simple thing to undo.

Yeah, the Airfield is a new region, but like I said the newly-spawned saplings I spotted there were in a location I'd found saplings in my last run (which is the only other run I've had since TFTFT launched), but were absent in my current run before Buried Echoes dropped. I'm only talking about actual new spawn sites specifically in Transfer Pass - I'm pretty sure the rest I've found so far were all at established potential spawn sites that the RNG just hadn't given me on this run, until the update.

As for scurvy - well, I only referenced that because it kinda seems like it might be a contraindication to my idea that some maple saplings have been spawned to support the travois being added, and I'm just the sorta person who tries to acknowledge problems with my own ideas. If scurvy is buggy, that would certainly give another, more substantial reason for HL not to add it to established longer saves.

9 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

I hadn't found it either.  I did find my first one "somewhere" in ZoC so hopefully you'll find one there too.

Well I took the risk with my long run and went to zoc... I've been extremely lucky, well if constant blizzards are lucky lol.. the few times it wasn't I have had blue skies.. or been down in the mine doing the tales.. haven't found it yet but I'm not really searching everything like I usually do.. 

Just want to get the tales done and out before the fog turns up..

The only new house spawn I've noted was in Milton/Mountain Town -- it was the small house on the same hill as the burned-out schoolhouse.  I have never seen that house intact before, but it may just be a weird luck of the draw.

I have collected a lot of maple saplings already, most have been in groups of 4 or 5, not just a single one  or maybe 2 that I would often find before.

(Oh! I did find the gold nugget too!)

Edited by twyn1
added last line
  • Upvote 1

On 12/13/2023 at 11:03 AM, Leeanda said:

People would've been unhappy either way.. but I agree with Ralph's decision to leave scurvy out of existing runs..

You only need to start again if you want scurvy,  aren't there enough ailments already for you? Loper is hard enough but don't you play nogoa type ?

Well i guess it was hard technically. I understand Ralph's decision. 

Either way after watching Zaks video on the new region im pretty sure i would die there on my run. The difficulty i play is just too hard. Ive strated a new loper run to go there. After i finish it on loper i will try to do it on near nogoa. Sounds crazy but I managed to do the first part of the tale on this difficulty. It was super hard tho. 

Happy with the update and the last bug fixes did good besides the fact my save did get a rollback after i hauled all the stuff from hrv and milton to ML. Took me 4 trips....🙃 so I had to do it again. 

3 hours ago, James Hickok said:

Either way after watching Zaks video on the new region im pretty sure i would die there on my run. The difficulty i play is just too hard. Ive strated a new loper run to go there. After i finish it on loper i will try to do it on near nogoa. Sounds crazy but I managed to do the first part of the tale on this difficulty. It was super hard tho. 

Happy with the update and the last bug fixes did good besides the fact my save did get a rollback after i hauled all the stuff from hrv and milton to ML. Took me 4 trips....🙃 so I had to do it again. 

Zak did have a heck of a time in there... anything harder, especially with those wolves would be very hard.. 

What do you mean rollback?  You lost part of a save?

5 hours ago, James Hickok said:

I watched PerfectTrip go in blind to the ZoC on NOGOA and it was pretty amazing:

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, James Hickok said:

I have looted every nook and cranny in ML map on my current run and i have to admit - the amount of maple saplings got tweaked. I never ever found that many in ML alone - about 14 i believe. Crazy. I think its too much.

Since they are a required ingredient of the travois (and the bow!) and they are finite, I'd rather HL give us too many vs too few.  I can see people running out of them then complaining they can't make the travois anymore.

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, James Hickok said:

I have looted every nook and cranny in ML map on my current run and i have to admit - the amount of maple saplings got tweaked. I never ever found that many in ML alone - about 14 i believe. Crazy. I think its too much.

I have found a few more since my last update too. They mostly seem to be restricted to the larger, more resource-rich regions, which would make sense after all.