Rose hip pies!

I have a ton of fresh rose hips in my garden and you may have just given me an idea...

I think they'll probably need a TON of sugar. I'd boil them down with it to a sort of jam, maybe with some nuts thrown in there - but that's not very true to the "original" recipe, is it. EDIT: Wait, forgot yours are dried... yeah, that would give me a headache also.

Edited by LostRealist

Well, I'm gonna give it a shot as well, probably this weekend. Those recipies are interesting, wouldn't have expected ginger to show up in 16th century England, shows what I know I guess. I'm going to skip the wine and just boil them down with sugar and water because I can't imagine I'll enjoy old grape juice in my pastry. To maximize yield I think I'll cut and de-seed them rather than boiling the whole things and straining them. Also don't feel like having to buy a new strainer after making these...

• 2 weeks later...

I’d suggest rehydrating the rose hips and then maybe cutting them half to get the seeds out… then maybe follow the same steps as a blueberry pie? They’re about the same size.

It might not be pie, but my brother made a really tasty raisin cake a while back… now I’m wondering if that would also work with the dried ‘hips?