New feat: INTROVERT (resistance to Cabin Fever) -or- feats dependent on selected character

FreeSTONE

Especially when playing on Interloper, Cabin Fever can disrupt things off. Outside is storm, nowhere near to go - Cabin fever is a killer.

I'd suggest two things: either, add new optional feat, that would prolong the time before Cabin Fever develops, OR, mabye just selecting Will will grant this feat, while selecting Astrid would give another feat - as they are different characters.

After all, they are two different people - so they do not need to have the exact same stats, right?

I turn off cabin fever because it's nonsense. I understand people who like to earn badges/achievements won't like this solution.

Our characters are incredibly suicidal though. They stay so close to dehydration that they won't even drink enough water to prevent dying in a single sleep period. I am not sure why but that's what they chose to do.

• Upvote 1

Seems rather a waste of one of the 2 feats available for use in interloper just to avoid it being a "custom interloper" run (i.e. turning cabin fever off in the custom menu while leaving all other Loper settings as they are in the interloper template).  I certainly wouldn't use it since I already have 2 feats that are much more valued by me in use.

ETA:  I would prefer a recipe for, say, a tea from a very rare ingredient that improved rest enough to allow for a player affected by cabin feven to sleep indoors for a night or, alternatively, to read or pass time while the "improved rest" from said tea is active for 24 hours - after which the cabin fever risk would revert as it normally does (meaning the time spent indoors under the influence of the tea would count as "outdoor time".  This then could be used in emergencies (like riding out a blizzard or when trapped in the Cinder Hills Mine) waiting for an aurora).

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Semple Fi said:

Perhaps we could just hallucinate instead of getting cabin fever…

Or they could just eliminate the mechanic (which has been requested many, many times over the years)... or, right now, we can just turn it off in the custom menu. 😀  Honestly, I don't see it as a big deal and I don't see it giving players much grief when I've watched them streaming interloper runs with it left on.  They seldom get it.  Players seem to learn rather quickly that they need to spend as much time as they can outdoors whenever the weather is decent enough to do so (as opposed to rushing out into a blizzard to rid themselves of cabin fever).

Edited by UpUpAway95

1 hour ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Or they could just eliminate the mechanic (which has been requested many, many times over the years)... or, right now, we can just turn it off in the custom menu. 😀  Honestly, I don't see it as a big deal and I don't see it giving players much grief when I've watched them streaming interloper runs with it left on.  They seldom get it.  Players seem to learn rather quickly that they need to spend as much time as they can outdoors whenever the weather is decent enough to do so (as opposed to rushing out into a blizzard to rid themselves of cabin fever).

I still haven’t tried Custom, not until I get all the badges anyway.  The mods look really cool, but it’ll require me learning how to program on something other than windows 95…. I assume there is a specific site with download files and read me’s and placing it into different program files, etc. So yeah, eventually 🥲

None of these are bad ideas.  Cabin fever is usually fine, but if you're just hibernating in a cabin, living off a bear, and then a blizzard blows in just as you wake up with cabin fever?  Not good.  I guess it's part of the challenge of the game, but it sucks to die from mere chance like that (never actually died from cabin fever, but still).  Maybe something like sitting next to a fire at least slows it down?  Maybe reading or writing?

The idea of a tea is neat, a feat is also cool.

On 10/20/2023 at 2:04 AM, FreeSTONE said:

Especially when playing on Interloper, Cabin Fever can disrupt things off. Outside is storm, nowhere near to go - Cabin fever is a killer.

I'd suggest two things: either, add new optional feat, that would prolong the time before Cabin Fever develops, OR, mabye just selecting Will will grant this feat, while selecting Astrid would give another feat - as they are different characters.

After all, they are two different people - so they do not need to have the exact same stats, right?

They are not the same people indeed!

Although it would be difficult to do this and have nobody feel like it's sexist, but I think it would be cool to have it so that Will and Astrid have feats that are exclusive to themselves.  These feats would be like normal ones where you have to actually earn them (and maybe as that character?).

Maybe Will could have one with a higher stamina cap, and maybe he could start with better gunsmithing with another.  Resistance to cabin fever is also a good one.  Does better in struggles?  Maybe Astrid could be have a feat where she can craft stim shots or something, and craft bandages faster, use less painkillers... idk, but she does have medical knowledge.  She is a scientist too.  Maybe one where you start with level three cooking and/or sewing skill.

Edit: Just found on the TLD wiki that astrid has level two firearms skill and level three cooking skill.  https://thelongdark.fandom.com/wiki/Astrid_Greenwood

(sorry if I derailed the conversation a little!)

Edited by Third Try
Found more info.
  • Upvote 1