“Frontier Farming”

Semple Fi

It would be a useful addition with the frontier cooking to have a way to distill and ferment a mash.  (Which there are plenty of farms and no apples???)

Not so much for the alcohol, but for fermenting wine into vinegar then being able to can and preserve. 

Specifically for the long game I imagine.  
We also have potatoes now, which can be fermented into vodka, or white vinegar.  

This would be a LONG process, over several days, into a month or more in game.  Making the mash would be not too long, but fermentation would take a bit.  

after that though…. vinegar and salt and water plus…. Pickled cattail stalks? Pickled Burdock root? More? 

• Upvote 2

Would be an interesting idea, however, I feel like it would be too cold to ferment. None of the houses have heat, and keeping a fire going for 3-4 weeks would not be fun.  Buildings may block the wind, but it's still cold as heck. To ferment vinegar you would need the temp to be at least 15 degrees Celsius consistently. Could just find vinegar in the wild. Also need garlic. Mom does garlic pork every year for Christmas. Cuts up pork, adds garlic and vinegar and let's it sit for a couple days.

• Upvote 1

I certainly wouldn't bother with making alcohol in this game.  My gameplay style isn't really conducive to the new cooking of simple stews and pies dishes with multiple ingredients (that require me to cart around the map to get them together in one place before they spoil).  As a result, I'm pretty much not bothering with that as it is.  The longer process of fermenting (after gathering the ingredients together) and then keeping a fire going to get enough heat for the process? - Well, it hasn't got a snowball's chance in the underworld that I'd enjoy doing it, but to each their own, I guess.

1 hour ago, Abenico said:

Yes, you can see it after a while in temp indicators and all

really? I am surprised they changed this, if it can be confirmed. It would be a good change, assuming housing temperatures also dropped significantly too to be closer to the temperature outside.

8 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I certainly wouldn't bother with making alcohol in this game.  My gameplay style isn't really conducive to the new cooking of simple stews and pies dishes with multiple ingredients (that require me to cart around the map to get them together in one place before they spoil).  As a result, I'm pretty much not bothering with that as it is.  The longer process of fermenting (after gathering the ingredients together) and then keeping a fire going to get enough heat for the process? - Well, it hasn't got a snowball's chance in the underworld that I'd enjoy doing it, but to each their own, I guess.

Agreed about the babysitting, that’s why I think something more along the lines of a root cellar would be doable.  Temperature remains constant and doesn’t have to be constantly tended.  
My thought is more along the lines of preserving food for the long game.  
Like the 500-1000 day players

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Semple Fi said:

Agreed about the babysitting, that’s why I think something more along the lines of a root cellar would be doable.  Temperature remains constant and doesn’t have to be constantly tended.  
My thought is more along the lines of preserving food for the long game.  
Like the 500-1000 day players

Still probably would not use it.  Level 5 cooking results in 100% preservation of cooked foods without any further processing.  I would hate to see them remove that perk in order to install an involved process like fermenting.  Also, it seems likely that we would have to gather the ingredients (like apples) and start the process before those ingredients decay to 0% - a monumental task that isn't just early game then.  If the ingredients don't decay, then it defeats the need to process them for long-term storage.

2 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Still probably would not use it.  Level 5 cooking results in 100% preservation of cooked foods without any further processing.  I would hate to see them remove that perk in order to install an involved process like fermenting.  Also, it seems likely that we would have to gather the ingredients (like apples) and start the process before those ingredients decay to 0% - a monumental task that isn't just early game then.  If the ingredients don't decay, then it defeats the need to process them for long-term storage.

Apples never decay 😅

image.jpeg.7113e2c91df0c9f86e73b2a92cb215a8.jpeg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

I look like one of them.. not saying witch one though😁 

Moose in Scandinavia get drunk on fermented apples.... if that happened in tld we'd be in big trouble.

LOL haha 😆 

I think a drunk moose might actually be easier to deal with….. Gets caught on his own hooves while charging!

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

I look like one of them.. not saying witch one though😁 

Moose in Scandinavia get drunk on fermented apples.... if that happened in tld we'd be in big trouble.

Might be a great way to kill moose - put out fermented apples, wait a day, and then come back when he's passed out and shoot him at point-blank range... or chug a bunch yourself and crawl in for a nap beside him. 😀

@Semple Fi - Lol.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Semple Fi said:

IMG_0463.gif.58e075458b66a43c905cdbdcc978506e.gif

@UpUpAway95

Lol.  I''m not quite that chill with them, but I do see quite a few around my farm - even right up close to the house sometimes.  I have "herded" a youngster back through a gate to rejoin its mother, who was on the other side of the fence and I didn't want her rushing through the fence to rejoin her baby.  Risky, but it did work on that occasion and saved a lot in fence repairs.  Generally, it's a case of admiring them at a respectful distance and there's no problems. 

@Leeanda - We don't have any apple trees though, so I've never seen a drunk one.  Generally, it's a case of admiring them at a respectful distance and there's no problems. 

I don't think they allow hunting in our area anymore - At least, I haven't had any hunters come up to the house to ask permission in years.

15 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Lol.  I''m not quite that chill with them, but I do see quite a few around my farm - even right up close to the house sometimes.  I have "herded" a youngster back through a gate to rejoin its mother, who was on the other side of the fence and I didn't want her rushing through the fence to rejoin her baby.  Risky, but it did work on that occasion and saved a lot in fence repairs.  Generally, it's a case of admiring them at a respectful distance and there's no problems. 

@Leeanda - We don't have any apple trees though, so I've never seen a drunk one.  Generally, it's a case of admiring them at a respectful distance and there's no problems. 

I don't think they allow hunting in our area anymore - At least, I haven't had any hunters come up to the house to ask permission in years.

I don't blame you,  the deserve the respect...

I think they're a protected species these days...like a lot of things sadly..

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

I don't blame you,  the deserve the respect...

I think they're a protected species these days...like a lot of things sadly..

Possibly, but I think it has more to do with the city spreading out ever closer to us.  We do also get a number of deer on our property, which years ago used to attract hunters - and, of course, most were always courteous enough to come up to the door and ask before using our land to hunt.  We used to allow it, too - until one of our neighbours told us they had an arrow from a missed shot lodge in their door post.  Then we started turning all the hunters away; so maybe it's also just that the word has gotten out - don't know.

52 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Possibly, but I think it has more to do with the city spreading out ever closer to us.  We do also get a number of deer on our property, which years ago used to attract hunters - and, of course, most were always courteous enough to come up to the door and ask before using our land to hunt.  We used to allow it, too - until one of our neighbours told us they had an arrow from a missed shot lodge in their door post.  Then we started turning all the hunters away; so maybe it's also just that the word has gotten out - don't know.

Sounds like both reasons...  no one wants to be in the firing line, accidentally or otherwise..

6 minutes ago, Semple Fi said:

For the same reason I shouldn't have to wear hunter orange to walk around my property…. 

Honestly I hate that hunting is still allowed.... maybe in special circumstances I can understand it..  if you live in the middle of nowhere and it's your lifeline then yes..   that's just my opinion though ..

Having to walk around doing that just so you don't get shot shouldn't be necessary .. 

On 10/18/2023 at 12:56 AM, Semple Fi said:

It would be a useful addition with the frontier cooking to have a way to distill and ferment a mash.  (Which there are plenty of farms and no apples???)

Not so much for the alcohol, but for fermenting wine into vinegar then being able to can and preserve. 

Specifically for the long game I imagine.  
We also have potatoes now, which can be fermented into vodka, or white vinegar.  

I do not expect any form of alcohol would be introduced to the game, primarily for rating reasons; similarly as even corpses are represented relatively peacefully, without much/any gory details. (i.e. the game wants to keep being available for relatively young audiences as well).
At the same time, I'm not sure what impact alcohol would have - unless for disinfection, for which there are already multiple solutions, even renewable with beachcombing. For preserving food, I think smoking meat might be a more fitting solution, than pickling it in vinegar; but i am veg irl, so what do i know?:).

2 hours ago, AdamvR said:

I do not expect any form of alcohol would be introduced to the game, primarily for rating reasons; similarly as even corpses are represented relatively peacefully, without much/any gory details. (i.e. the game wants to keep being available for relatively young audiences as well).
At the same time, I'm not sure what impact alcohol would have - unless for disinfection, for which there are already multiple solutions, even renewable with beachcombing. For preserving food, I think smoking meat might be a more fitting solution, than pickling it in vinegar; but i am veg irl, so what do i know?:).

Exactly my point! Need a vegetarian option! 😅😊

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1