Down vests and pillows should give down when harvested

conanjaguar

I guess it really depends.🤔
Seems like perhaps most pillows these days are either stuffed with cotton or memory foam.
I could see the bit about the down vest ... since it's explicitly calling out that it's made of down. :D 

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I guess it really depends.🤔
Seems like perhaps most pillows these days are either stuffed with cotton or memory foam.
I could see the bit about the down vest ... since it's explicitly calling out that it's made of down. :D 

Agreed but I think this is more late eighties /early nineties ...  and some of the residents might've preferred more traditional taste in a lot of things.

I could be completely and totally wrong though..on both counts😁

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Leeanda said:

Agreed but I think this is more late eighties /early nineties ...  and some of the residents might've preferred more traditional taste in a lot of things.

Fair point.  Great Bear Island wasn't exactly on the cutting edge of anything even in its prime.  Perhaps most pillows were down-stuffed, certainly possible, granted. :) 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Fair point.  Great Bear Island wasn't exactly on the cutting edge of anything even in its prime.  Perhaps most pillows were down-stuffed, certainly possible, granted. :) 

Lol..    you said that better than I did😊

My son asked me this afternoon when it was supposed to be set and when I said  80s to early 90s he said ...no way, they didn't have flat screen computer monitors in those days😂.     Which I hadn't even noticed until now...

• Upvote 2

@Leeanda
Well, the lore in Wintermute suggests that it's at least sometime well beyond September 2012:

Grey Mother refers to the collapse that started "years ago," and states that Milton needed help "ten years ago, during the collapse." A note by the front door of the Milton Credit Union states that it was forced to close due to "economic realities" in September 2012.

Beyond this I don't think we get any specified dates that are more current... because that note on the door of the Milton Credit Union is clearly pretty old.
If the note and Grey Mother are to be believed... then we might be looking at the "present" in Wintermute being maybe sometime as recently as 2022... and we know that Survival takes place sometime well after Wintermute.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

@Leeanda
Other lore references:

The Collapse refers to the economic collapse of the Canadian - and wider North American - economy "in the mid-20XX." As a result of The Collapse, Great Bear Island was initially cut-off from the mainland and residents were forced to become self-sufficient. Later, supplies were brought from the mainland, and islanders were split between those who welcomed the supplies and those who supported continued self-sufficiency.

The Milton Water Tower and water mains were shut off in June 2012 due to seismic activity.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda
Other lore references:
The Collapse refers to the economic collapse of the Canadian - and wider North American - economy "in the mid-20XX." As a result of The Collapse, Great Bear Island was initially cut-off from the mainland and residents were forced to become self-sufficient. Later, supplies were brought from the mainland, and islanders were split between those who welcomed the supplies and those who supported continued self-sufficiency.

The Milton Water Tower and water mains were shut off in June 2012 due to seismic activity.

Given all that ,and your previous comment , it seems that most definitely didn't want the supplies..   

It certainly gives off much older vibes .. but most of the residents we meet are of a certain age so I'm not surprised.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

It certainly gives off much older vibes ..

Absolutely... so even though we don't have a good idea of when we are.  We know that it's been falling apart since 2012, and even before that the island was pretty remote and cut of even at the best of times.  Lots of old stuff around, and the occasional early 2000's plasma/LCD (even the occasional laptop) would be present but relatively uncommon... while CRT TVs and monitors abound, along with other analog devices and equipment.  Also, reasonable given the poor/unreliable power grid after the loss of the Carter Dam operation... and the probable reliance on personal Generators in parts outside of maybe Milton, Perseverance Mills, and Blackrock Pen - thought we know Blackrock did also have its own electrical plant.  

Edited by ManicManiac

13 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Absolutely... so even though we don't have a good idea of when we are.  We know that it's been falling apart since 2012, and even before that the island was pretty remote and cut of even at the best of times.  Lots of old stuff around, and the occasional early 2000's plasma/LCD (even the occasional laptop) would be present but relatively uncommon... while CRT TVs and monitors abound, along with other analog devices and equipment.  Also, reasonable given the poor/unreliable power grid after the loss of the Carter Dam operation... and the probable reliance on personal Generators in parts outside of maybe Milton, Perseverance Mills, and Blackrock Pen - thought we know Blackrock did also have its own electrical plant.

There are  a lot of locked cellar doors that could have generators behind them...  

There are some oddities in the game that do kind of confuse us ,so I suppose the date wouldn't be any different😁.  

I've only just noticed that the clocks all stopped at the same time.. (not specifically related I know ... My brains just gone there for some reason)

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda

We're on a lore tangent... so it's only natural to want to theorize. :D 

3naPCRx2OyDJC3-T5OZMEscJqYxOKTN8TopYl19QGwM35rRqPSFbC6yovicQLeboIQGHCtuM=s900-c-k-c0x00ffffff-no-rj

Lol..  very true😁.  

I've yet to find an explanation for there being no toilets in desolation point😁 or cooking pots.....   Coincidence of some sort🤔😁

• Upvote 4

16 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Lol..  very true😁.  

I've yet to find an explanation for there being no toilets in desolation point😁 or cooking pots.....   Coincidence of some sort🤔😁

Now that you mention it, that is very strange indeed. Perhaps the devs could add a couple of outhouses to the area at some point to address the lack of facilities. It is also interesting to contemplate that none of the church buildings have any toilets either.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, SlippedGear said:

Now that you mention it, that is very strange indeed. Perhaps the devs could add a couple of outhouses to the area at some point to address the lack of facilities. It is also interesting to contemplate that none of the church buildings have any toilets either.

They were obviously very strong willed..   

I've yet to se a bathroom in a church...  not in this country anyway.

On 8/21/2023 at 11:32 PM, Leeanda said:

haven't realized it before, good catch:)
maybe it's just me, but cutting whales open is not the thing to make me wanna think about food;-)
see also (or don't, quite graphic...): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2CfYOJ5oxk