Base Camp

Bloodskye

I was recently looking in a previous topic I made and they were discussing places they've made into their bases.

So my question to you all is where is the very first place you ever made your base and why?

Mine was Quanset Garage in Coastal Highway. I was very new to the game and this spot was smack dab in the middle of the region so it seemed appropriate. Also it's surrounded by supplies and there's a forge a couple regions over. Now, I always make my base in the Camp Office in Mystery Lake for the same reasons but on a more grand scale obviously.

• Upvote 2

I recall my very first run pretty well (it was back in the later part of 2014).

I'd woke up not far from Clear Cut.
I wandered around and found my way to the old Forestry Lookout.
(it's now the "destroyed lookout")

I'd taken cover there in the cab of the tower as a brutally cold blizzard hit.
I hadn't had much to burn... so I couldn't keep a fire going for more than a few hours.
However, this was an 18-hour (or more) blizzard.

I froze to death before I could even see the sun again.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
As for where I "make my base" ... I don't really have one location.
For me I like to establish encampments in each region... and sometimes even very small stop-over points in large regions where it might be wise to have intermediate stopping points to take shelter when needed.

I'm usually not much interested in homesteading, and much prefer a more nomadic lifestyle when I'm on Great Bear Island.

...for me, home is wherever I lay down the bedroll.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 4
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Pretty sure mine was Camp Office since it was the first zone in the game.  Out of habit, that continue to be my main base.

Pretty much this exactly. I have one main base and a few lesser bases in every region, but Camp Office feels like home.

faithful-cartographer-the-long-dark.jpg

• Upvote 1

I already said in your other thread that I set up in the now destroyed lookout tower, back while it was still standing. My very first run back in 2015 I spawned either in the Logging Camp, or the Clearcut area... I don't remember which one. I went up the path leading up there, went inside the tower, and found a rifle, and called the place home, since I didn't know the region at all yet.

Following playthroughs I would continue to use it as my base, as I liked the view. Plus, I also liked to imagine that my character was a newly hired Forestry Lookout Ranger, that just started their new job as the world ended as some sort of personal roleplay. I never really liked the whole "Oh your plane crashed! Good luck chump!" story that the game gave you back then, because there was no plane crash site anywhere on the map back then, so I just made my story for why my character was there on Great Bear.

Nowadays, I typically play more nomadically, but the places I gravitate more towards are...

• Trapper's Homestead in Mystery Lake 
  • Poachers Camp in Forlorn Muskeg
  • Mountaineer's Hut In Timberwolf Mountain
  • Stone Church in Desolation Point
  • Hunting Lodge in Broken Railroad
  • Unnamed houses with fireplace in Coastal Highway
  • Paradise Meadows Farm in Mountain Town
  • The Red Barn in Unpleasant Valley
  • Upvote 1

My first base camp was Trapper's Homestead in ML. I think mainly because the first stalker run I did where I lasted more than a few days started in Mystery Lake. I still use it as one of my main base camps. I like the smaller size of the cabin compared to the Camp Office. I can have two things going on the stove while crafting stuff at the workbench, or getting in a few short naps. I set a few snares outside for bunnies early on and practice my archery on the bear and occasional moose and deer. Easy access to Mountain Town and Forlorn Muskeg. 

• Upvote 1

So far I'm concluding that Mystery Lake is a popular choice wherever you choose to make home, interesting! The other places mentioned are very clever and some I never considered but now might.

When I first started I was a bit nomadic and it was only when I got super heavy that I even thought to make a base.

If I fade into the long dark in this run, my next base will probably be The Hangar of Forsaken Airfield. Maybe I'll do a personal roleplay like @LunarLimeand make my own story, only venturing to other regions sparatically for supplies.

• Upvote 2

I don't know if it was my first base camp, but I used Jackrabbit Island as my base camp for my first long (100+ day) run.  Nice long lines of sight, easy access to fishing and beach combing, all the rabbits you can eat....  The only thing it lacked was indoor cooking, and with the milder weather on CH, it wasn't often a problem.  I can still find my way around that house in the dark without even thinking about it.

• Upvote 1

hmm...I'm pretty sure mine was Quonset Garage, too. I have just completed Whiteout and was starting my first-ever Survival run. The garage was something familiar and felt safe. Also. the location was good, with easy access to other regions, and the forge not so far from there, too

I tried to keep it my main base and bring all the loot I find there but quickly abandoned that system. Now, I too, have a few main bases like Camp Office, Blackrock prison, Quonset Garage, Grey Mother's house, Community Center, and keep notes of loot I found and where I left it 

image.thumb.png.097cc2ff275a6a40d7b3bd20ccbf5d2f.png

• Upvote 2

On 7/29/2023 at 11:04 PM, bysinda said:

I tried to keep it my main base and bring all the loot I find there but quickly abandoned that system. Now, I too, have a few main bases like Camp Office, Blackrock prison, Quonset Garage, Grey Mother's house, Community Center, and keep notes of loot I found and where I left it 

I also keep notes of what stuff I have where, especially things like if there is a heavy hammer with a forge or tools with a workbench since these items are heavy and I don't want to be carrying them around unless necessary. The notes are particularly handy if I've had a break from a game for a bit to do something like one of the challenges or a different mode. Becomes easy to forget what stuff you had where in which run.

Quonset in Coastal Highway was also one of my first. Now one of my favorites is Mountaineer's Hut on Timberwolf Mountain, although the area is brutal with limited resources for making repairs. I also love Island Cottage in Forsaken Airfield, but without a workbench, I've found that my time there often hits a limit. 

• 2 months later...

I died several times without ever making it past a few days my first few times, so I can't remember.  But my first base that I remember is the mountaineers hut on timber wolf mountain.  My favorite region is Desolation Point (don't ask me why, not sure), but often end up in quonset garage for a while.