Live without fire?

A Big Red Dawg

@A Big Red Dawg

Hard to say really... I imagine it would depend on how well you roam from place to place.

I'd recommend that you make it a Personal Challenge and see how long you can make it.
You may surprise yourself...

I found that when I forced myself to be creative with how  I play, that I was capable of far more than I'd imagined... and got so much better at surviving on Great Bear Island than I was before each of my own Personal Challenges.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3

Thirst will be the ultimate killer, although inability to cook meat means that you will be vastly more prone to death from anything at all just on a daily basis, due to constantly hovering at 10% condition from constant gut-rot.

Although honestly if you get to the point where that is your fate, I'll be pretty surprised. Odds are you'll die of something else long before. Interesting concept I'll grant you that, and as a scientist I am partially intrigued. But I generally avoid topics that necessarily result in player-character death, because...well...that's how you lose the game lol. I prefer to figure out tactics that encourage the opposite. But again, that's just personal preference. Science is science, and all knowledge is ultimately useful.

• Upvote 3

My greatest accomplishment in this vein is summitting Timberwolf Mountain without stims during a no-sleep run. I don't generally like "suicide runs" but I'm not exactly a stranger to them. You can learn quite a lot in a short time when you pick one specific boundary to aggressively test.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, conanjaguar said:

avoid food that drains thirst (eating crackers will be suicidal) and only drink before sleeping for the condition recovery.

Nah just save them for when you're already at 0% thirst. Unlike real life, you can totally ram 3 full boxes of crackers down your throat while completely parched, then have a little sip of water and everything is fine.

I would expect this to play out pretty similar to exploiting starvation. It would probably make sense to let fatigue and thirst both go to crap while you explore so you can get more done during the hours that your health is draining. Then sleep back up to 100% at night, and start the whole process over in the morning. 0.66L of water is now worth 1 night of sleep. So that, plus whatever else you can get from cans, is your life span.

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...

You can do fine for a while even with Loper-tables when spawning to toilet-heavy zones like Milton or CH, but elsewhere not for long.

I think on NOGOA max 3 days from the spawn, and that's when you've managed to find lucky toilets and even luckier magic cans. Without bedroll I've managed 25 days without on NOGOA but fire is different

Anyway, unless you do one region challenge, you ought to get 1000 matches + eternal mag lens anyway so this is just theoretical. I'm currently doing one region, low recovery, low loot, low plants run on FA and it's glorious with just a single box of matches so far in about 10 days. In a way I'm glad I haven't found mag lens. The last fire, I'll have to keep going on eternally (unless I continue to the new Mine map when it opens but that is likely another run)

Edited by Mistral