Improvised insulation as shirt slot

Pretty much what the title says. I think improvised insulation should fit into the shirt slot instead of the accessory slot. I think thematically it makes more sense considering it's basically a redimentary vest (or more like a corset I guess?), and mechanically it works better there as well. There's been a lot of accessory slot additions lately so I don't think we need another item to go in the accessory slot, let us use the other new items that have been added rather than forcing us to pick between them and the frankly really powerful Insulation. Also the Improvised Insulation completely outcompetes the Wool Ear Wrap in everything but waterproofing. The Wool Ear Wrap used to be the only insulation for the accessory slot, and due to its rarity and fragility, it was an awesome find that you would protect religiously if you found it. The existence of the Improvised Insulation means that the Wool Ear Wrap is basically useless, removing all of the joy of finding the Ear Wrap, and the tragedy of losing it in a wolf battle.

It does need to be noted that depending on the difficulty though, as a shirt, Insulation would change from incredible to just pretty good (this is an issue with every animal clothing item though).

On Interloper, the Insulation would totally outcompete the Thin Wool Sweater, which is currently the best shirt on Interloper. Because the Thin Wool Sweater isn't as hard to find or maintain as the Ear Wrap though, I wouldn't mind it being delegated to the shirt slot only during the early game until you have the resources for Insulation, like the other shirts are now.

On lower difficulties, the Insulation would still be really good! They would be a lighter weight alternative to the Fisherman's Sweater with equal warmth, half the weight, but none of the 40% waterproof bonus that the fisherman's has. 

Let me know your thoughts, or any issues you think might come up with this change that I didn't think of.

Edited by FlamingFuball
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, FlamingFuball said:

Pretty much what the title says. I think improvised insulation should fit into the shirt slot instead of the accessory slot. I think thematically it makes more sense considering it's basically a redimentary vest (or more like a corset I guess?), and mechanically it works better there as well. There's been a lot of accessory slot additions lately so I don't think we need another item to go in the accessory slot, let us use the other new items that have been added rather than forcing us to pick between them and the frankly really powerful Insulation. Also the Improvised Insulation completely outcompetes the Wool Ear Wrap in everything but waterproofing. The Wool Ear Wrap used to be the only insulation for the accessory slot, and due to its rarity and fragility, it was an awesome find that you would protect religiously if you found it. The existence of the Improvised Insulation means that the Wool Ear Wrap is basically useless, removing all of the joy of finding the Ear Wrap, and the tragedy of losing it in a wolf battle.

It does need to be noted that depending on the difficulty though, as a shirt, Insulation would change from incredible to just pretty good (this is an issue with every animal clothing item though).

On Interloper, the Insulation would totally outcompete the Thin Wool Sweater, which is currently the best shirt on Interloper. Because the Thin Wool Sweater isn't as hard to find or maintain as the Ear Wrap though, I wouldn't mind it being delegated to the shirt slot only during the early game until you have the resources for Insulation, like the other shirts are now.

On lower difficulties, the Insulation would still be really good! They would be a lighter weight alternative to the Fisherman's Sweater with equal warmth, half the weight, but none of the 40% waterproof bonus that the fisherman's has. 

Let me know your thoughts, or any issues you think might come up with this change that I didn't think of.

I was thinking about this last week. You are correct that the earwrap became usless now. I think that they should add another accesory slot - yeah it will give overall 1 degree more to the cap but the earwrap is still a rare find and one can never find one if he doesnt loot almost all of the world. Also the more time you play and dont find it the more chance you will find it ruined. 

And about the best interloper shirt - i think it is the hockey shirt at the moment - it gives more warmth and more wind prot and a bit less (10% i think) of waterproofing but its not that important. Anyway on my loper runs i go with 2x Hockey if i find another one. One my main run i have 2 x hockey and 2 x Aviator cap. 

• Upvote 1

I was thinking that the technical backpack should add an additional 2 accessory slots for gear and cargo items (such as the satchel and rifle scabbard). It makes sense to me... Good hiking packs are designed to have other gear items attached to them. This would free up the 2 slots we currently have for clothing items. But one would only get these 2 extra slots after finding the technical pack.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, James Hickok said:

And about the best interloper shirt - i think it is the hockey shirt at the moment - it gives more warmth and more wind prot and a bit less (10% i think) of waterproofing but its not that important. Anyway on my loper runs i go with 2x Hockey if i find another one. One my main run i have 2 x hockey and 2 x Aviator cap. 

I debated whether to mention the hockey jersey. According to the wiki (and what I found when playing) Jersey vs TWS is kind of a personal preference. The Jersey is half a kg more, has the same warmth, but has a cool 3 windproof so you can go without a jacket if you really want to play lightweight. Still gets destroyed by insulation on most counts.

I would agree that improvised insulation should be in a shirt slot rather than accessory.  By its graphic form it certainly looks more appropriate in place of a sweater (i.e., wrapped around the body) than hanging out there on my "ears".  😉