The Flame Must Live!

LunarLime

Attempt 2

I spawn right next to Stone Church in Desolation Point. It's noon, and the weather is heavy snow. Stone Church technically not 'indoors'... But I start The One Fire there anyways because why the heck not. Also, yes this does also mean both of my runs so far start in a church, so hopefully this run will be more blessed. I found a revolver, along with a box of ammo for it by the dead guy sitting on a pew, so already looking to be a good start.

I pick up some some sticks outside, some cedar and refined wood inside, and light the fire! Desolation Point is actually a pretty solid spot to start. It's a small region, so I won't need to move The One Fire so much. I do plan on moving it over to The Riken's forge so I can make some arrow heads before I head over to Coastal Highway.

screen_d523e33e-0716-499d-ac74-fa84e5e66d6e_hi.thumb.png.a0caaba4552d7e61936f37f0adde2708.png

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Took a trip over to Katie's Secluded Corner to grab the the bow that spawns there. Going to avoid the use of rifles in this challenge, since they weigh a lot, and I need to carry as many sticks as I can.

The bow was in pretty good condition, which might even last me the whole duration of this run. Only got one intact arrow, and one broken arrow. All the more reason to make some arrow heads at The Riken.

screen_5c7f14a9-c01a-4614-9e37-49a750f61066_hi.thumb.png.ee2c856385434ecfe760f9fc97da8e25.png

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2023 at 4:12 PM, LunarLime said:

There is a fire barrel outside the trailers that is much closer, but that's outside, so too risky, don't want a blizzard to kill the run.

Aren't fire barrels immune to blowing out?

Interesting read - thanks for sharing!

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, xanna said:

Do outdoor fire barrels and stoves still get the fuel bonus like campfires?

Yes.

I read the wiki on this topic and learned something I didn't know - about player location:

Outdoor fire bonus

Fires that are started in outdoor locations offer an outdoor fire bonus. This means that the Duration listed on the fire is inaccurate, and the fire will actually last up to 100% longer depending on the temperature. Colder temperatures will yield a longer-lasting fire, up until the bonus caps at -30°C, starting at -10°C. The bonus is determined based on air temperature (before factoring in the fire) at the survivor's position, meaning that if you go inside your outdoor fire will no longer receive the outdoor fire bonus. Even fires in pseudo-indoor areas like Mountaineer's Hut receive the burn duration bonus.

In regards to fire bonus, outdoor caves have a line separating the warm and cold sections. Standing at the back of the cave, a fire will receive a reduced bonus, down to 0% if the air temperature in the back of the cave reaches positive values. Utilizing this bonus, you can use significantly less wood to keep an overnight fire burning in a cave by standing in the cold section of the cave when interacting with your bedroll.  Note that you will be subjected to the colder outdoor cave temperatures during your sleep, so consider your fire temperature accordingly.

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Searched the mines with a torch from The Fire. Found a lot of coal, should be enough to last the night. Also found some fuel, so torches can be made. Even found a freebie torch laying on the ground. Went back to the church for the night.

A mod I'm using that I have to showcase since it plays a rather big role is Bountiful Foraging by Jods. It adds a few things you can find out in the wild, but the main thing that will effect this challenge is pine cones you can pick up.

Once you break them open you get two things. One is the pine cone itself which is fuel for the fire, lasts about as long as a stick. Second is seeds, which no you can't plant, but you can cook them for a very light snack. Main purpose I found for the seeds is they train your cooking skill pretty quickly. So that's what I'll be doing for the rest of the night.

screen_58003c98-48a5-497f-ac6a-f5acd1a15c6f_hi.thumb.png.e7e58aa3b51f7b5b5cd1b5ad9cefc43f.png

Edited by LunarLime
  • Upvote 2

So todays list of things I done...

• Searched The 'Whalehouse' for stuff
  • Found lantern
  • Found hammer
  • Found hacksaw
  • Found slightly better clothing
  • Found two freebie torches
  • Found distress pistol
  • Went back to the church
  • Moved The One Fire over to The Riken's forge
  • Made arrow heads
  • Made a improvised hatchet

And that's about it. Going to stay in the ship for the night. If the weather is agreeable tomorrow, I'll move back to the church, since the fire lasts longer over there.

screen_0967cb80-9c8e-483c-bc9e-cbe8ce26d21c_hi.thumb.png.5fe9ac295062dbfce82ffe56b172d5c8.png

On 9/23/2023 at 9:07 AM, LunarLime said:

Decided to do a bit of beachcombing  today, and I found some dinner!

Question is... How did this fresh water fish make it all the way to Desolation Point?

screen_051c1105-772f-4bbc-add3-ce263cccf567_hi.thumb.png.3ad58d7c0320dd9b1d388a6c39aa3c9e.png

I remember wondering the same thing.  As someone pointed out to me, it died and floated down the river/stream into the ocean.