Whittling....again

Leeanda

I know this has been mentioned before in other threads but I'd like to have it as option instead of just passing time

I know there are mods but they're only available to PC users and with the safehouse customization coming soon I thought it would be nice to have your own work displayed in your base as well.  

I also appreciate that lopers have less access to tools to craft with but hopefully now beachcombing has changed then it would be more viable an option for them.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Hm. Whittling sounds a semi productive way to pass the time. It’s got to be better than cards :D.

Taking the concept to its extreme, perhaps different sculptures could be whittled to give small bonuses to various stats, depending on what was whittled and on what wood was used?

Edited by conanjaguar
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, conanjaguar said:

Hm. Whittling sounds a semi productive way to pass the time. It’s got to be better than cards :D.

Taking the concept to its extreme, perhaps different sculptures could be whittled to give small bonuses to various stats, depending on what was whittled and on what wood was used?

It could help stave off cabin fever but only by a very small amount🤔

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

It could help stave off cabin fever but only by a very small amount🤔

And also be part of the crafting for the fire hardened arrows or other items? Javelins? Crossbows? The things an experienced craftsman can do with whittling wood are amazing!

1 minute ago, conanjaguar said:

And also be part of the crafting for the fire hardened arrows or other items? Javelins? Crossbows? The things an experienced craftsman can do with whittling wood are amazing!

Don't get me started on crossbows... I'd love one😁

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Don't get me started on crossbows... I'd love one😁

I made a simple crossbow once… it wasn’t very accurate, but it threw a bolt about 30 feet.

And knowing how inept I am in working with my hands, Will/Astrid should be able to make one too :D.

• Upvote 1

Wish i could make some wooden figurines to play with, or talk with them, you know to remove the loneliness from Will or Astrid surviving months if not years.

But honestly, just anything could go as long as we have an option to not stare at an UI showing the calories used and the amount of hours going down.

Even instruments to play some of our favourite TLD soundtrack (which there was a mod that added a guitar and a harmonica back in 2017-2018 if i remember correctly).

• Upvote 2

Well there are pianos in a few locations already  so why not make them playable.. 

I'd like some figures to place in my base too.  I've seen the moose bear wolf ones on the mod and they look great.

• Upvote 1

I started thinking that a rabbit carved out of wood might be usable as a lure or decoy, perhaps place a few outside and it has a chance of attracting rabbits while unattended, allowing you to use them in conjunction with snares to create your own rabbit hunting zones in places where there aren't any. Or perhaps to hasten the repopulation of existing rabbit groves.

Then I went off on a tangent thinking about other kinds of replicas you might be able to create. Like deer decoys to attract deer. Although care would have to be taken since it wouldn't make sense for any sort of lure to be effective at the summit of Timberwolf Mountain for instance. Or on the roof of Blackrock.

Edited by ajb1978
  • Upvote 3

I think that "wearing down" a knife/improvised knife (as much as any other crafting activity) and "using up" a piece of cedar/fur would be good tradeoffs for maybe being able to pass time while making some sort of decorative item could be a really nice touch.

Like any other crafting activity, would take many hours to complete... perhaps the more time spent the more detail and better looking the result?  

Animals of Great Bear Island?  Sure... 
Small Astrid and Will figurines?  Why not?  🤭

17 hours ago, Leeanda said:

with the safehouse customization coming soon I thought it would be nice to have

I was typing up that very thing when I realized you'd already mentioned that...  I agree.

As something that would not impact any other facet of gameplay... I'm more than happy to show support for these little touches that I think might let us add a little more of a personal touch to our chosen encampments.

I'm curious to see what they have in mind for "safehouse customization"  ...and I think something like being able to make little decorative carvings could be a nice addition to that.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

I think that "wearing down" a knife/improvised knife (as much as any other crafting activity) and "using up" a piece of cedar/fur would be good tradeoffs for maybe being able to pass time while making some sort of decorative item could be a really nice touch.

Like any other crafting activity, would take many hours to complete... perhaps the more time spent the more detail and better looking the result?  

Animals of Great Bear Island?  Sure... 
Small Astrid and Will figurines?  Why not?  🤭

I was typing up that very thing when I realized you'd already mentioned that...  I agree.

As something that would not impact any other facet of gameplay... I'm more than happy to show support for these little touches that I think might let us add a little more of a personal touch to our chosen encampments.

I'm curious to see what they have in mind for "safehouse customization"  ...and I think something like being able to make little decorative carvings could be a nice addition to that.

A little will or Astrid would be cute to have .    

I'm intrigued to see what the customisation will entail . Just the ability to fix doors and move fallen chairs would be a nice start.

@ajb1978   carving the rabbit decoy might be useful in those areas where nothing spawns.   It did make me think about a wooden whistle or deer caller too.  I'm not sure that'd be possible though.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

Just the ability to fix doors and move fallen chairs would be a nice start.

Agreed... or maybe even the ability to move around containers within the shelter.  

Granted, that's not very likely... but still wishful thinking, I suppose.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

On 5/9/2023 at 5:04 AM, Leeanda said:

I know this has been mentioned before in other threads but I'd like to have it as option instead of just passing time

I know there are mods but they're only available to PC users and with the safehouse customization coming soon I thought it would be nice to have your own work displayed in your base as well.  

I also appreciate that lopers have less access to tools to craft with but hopefully now beachcombing has changed then it would be more viable an option for them.

Thanks, @Leeanda. Noted! 

• Upvote 1