Industrial Mine speculation

The next region for the DLC it's the Industrial Mine, the web says it's an open mine with hidden secrets of the island, related to Signal Void and likely the next tale. 

¿What do you think about the new region?

I can imagine the region with two parts, a big mine with complex caves and travel systems like HRV but man-made, and an open basin with more natural resources.

Like a mega blackrock mine, with more mechanics (like the chemical hazards) and way way bigger.

Overall i think industrial mine (named Langston Mine if i recall on the sign in transfer pass) would be a cousin of Blackrock.

Since the runoff they mentioned would probably be something like the river in Blackrock (aka instant death if happen to fall in it), the poisonous gas like in the last prospect mine and the new pools of toxic chemical.

However one thing i think they will add is the chance of getting the "invisible disease"  they mentioned in SV's tale as an afflition, and obviously the "thing" that caused all of this.

Nevertheless, Industrial mine/Langston mine's tale will be really interesting.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

I'm also guessing an open pit mine.  Perhaps something like this (but not on this scale...)?

open-pit-mining-large3.jpg.6342207dc76386afb28f87c5916436aa.jpg

Me too !

Im also sure we are gonna find a hidden bunker or medical complex inside the Mine, related to the next tale.

I think this is way to the mine mentioned in those notes you can find:image.thumb.png.1f16c5613f70e632527a1b9bcb4f503d.png

But I tend to think it is not open mine. Security log 14 suggests underground work. They found a decent chamber and some workers are responsible for roof not falling on their head. Of course we can have both. Open mine which somebody used for some excavation. But since all mines so far were deep mines, I think the next one will be too. Of course filled with methane. The machine should be switched off, but aurora and now glimmer fog can enable electricity. So if the machine is not off and alectricity is back again, we can expect some nasty surprises.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Responding to @Valuable Hunting Knife's post here:

6 hours ago, Valuable Hunting Knife said:

In the unlikely event you've missed it, there's some concept art and news on the new region in the Sept Dev Diary.

Exciting stuff.  Obviously can never bank on concept art reflecting the finished product, but the buildings look similar to Hibernia.

There's also going to be a new affliction.  My guess is contaminated water.

From Wikipedia:

Open-pit mining causes changes to vegetation, soil, and bedrock, which ultimately contributes to changes in surface hydrology, groundwater levels, and flow paths. Additionally, open-pit produces harmful pollutants depending on the type of mineral being mined, and the type of mining process being used.

and

Open-pit gold mining is one of the highest potential mining threats on the environment as it affects the air and water chemistry. The exposed dust may be toxic or radioactive, making it a health concern for the workers and the surrounding communities

So plenty of scope for new dangers, even in an inactive mine. That water sure looks funky to me.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, xanna said:

That water sure looks funky to me.

Yeah, I don't think even boiling will make mine wastewater potable. 

Not directly applicable, but as late as the 1960s in the US, mercury was used to help extract the gold from the ore!  Interesting video here on amalgamation:

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

Yeah, I don't think even boiling will make mine wastewater potable. 

I was thinking, maybe this is a way to get Aqua-Pur more used? Not that it would work on a lot of these pollutants, but maybe?

New affliction: heavy metal poisoning 😄

Edited by xanna

1 hour ago, xanna said:

Responding to @Valuable Hunting Knife's post here:

From Wikipedia:

Open-pit mining causes changes to vegetation, soil, and bedrock, which ultimately contributes to changes in surface hydrology, groundwater levels, and flow paths. Additionally, open-pit produces harmful pollutants depending on the type of mineral being mined, and the type of mining process being used.

and

Open-pit gold mining is one of the highest potential mining threats on the environment as it affects the air and water chemistry. The exposed dust may be toxic or radioactive, making it a health concern for the workers and the surrounding communities

So plenty of scope for new dangers, even in an inactive mine. That water sure looks funky to me.

nice research- that led to this, possible inspiration?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diavik_Diamond_Mine

• Like 1