Signal Void DLC: BLOG with spoilers hidden

OK I started a thread that I thought would document my journey with the new DLC and that I would be able to keep spoiler free. Nah! So here is my new thread on the new update with all spoilers described, but hidden so you can look or ignore. I will do my best to not spoil it for anyone and will add spoiler free descriptions, in case you want to peak.

First topic: Acorns -

Acorns can be found, 1 each it appears, in the dark spots around oak trees. You need 4 acorns to make a coffee. I have yet to figure out how to make it. So let me explain. You need a heavy hammer to crush them, check I have (had) one. You need to cook them. Hmm. I cannot find a way to do this. I thought maybe they need to be dried, but dropping them does nothing to them. Once cooked, the hammer crushes them and then you make coffee. Still trying to figure this one out.

Next topic: hardened arrows -

These are easy to make, just need 5 sticks, some feathers, and a fire! I was able to kill two rabbits with them, so loving this! I can save my special arrows for larger game. When they break, you get your feathers back, so they are a great add to the game. I have not encountered a wolf yet to see if they make them run away...so will update once I do that.

Next topic: Signal Void -

So you need to head to FA to start this quest. Basically you are going to then be asked to fix a number of transmission systems, so you will need to find repair items. This includes wires, breakers, scrap metal, and a car battery. Once you open and repair it, you turn it on and wait for the aurora or Glimmer Fog to turn on you handheld shortwave radio. This has two bands, and I have not found anything with it yet. Not sure if you need the whole network up or not? After FA, need to go to MT, PV, and FM and find and fix those transmission units.

Next topic: new gear -

Got the flight jacket so far. It is really nice! Pros are it is warm and really helps in wind areas like FA. Cons are it is heavy at 2.5 kilos and it needs leather to repair vice cloth. I gave up a military coat for it, because it is better IMHO.

Edited by TonyInPleasantValley

Oh no...I hope this isn't true but so far it looks to be:

Appears that all the items needed to fix the transmitters is not distributed around the world. Suspect it is all at FA and you have to haul it from there to each site. Biggest issue is the car battery is so heavy! I have taken every battery in PV and MT and turned them into lead or bullets! Hauling the plethora of batteries from FA will be tedious as hell! Hope this isn't the case, but so far I have not found any parts in FM or PV... I almost turned all the batteries to lead on FA, but decided to do it later. Sigh!!

On 4/1/2023 at 2:12 PM, TonyInPleasantValley said:

Oh no...I hope this isn't true but so far it looks to be:

Reveal hidden contents

Appears that all the items needed to fix the transmitters is not distributed around the world. Suspect it is all at FA and you have to haul it from there to each site. Biggest issue is the car battery is so heavy! I have taken every battery in PV and MT and turned them into lead or bullets! Hauling the plethora of batteries from FA will be tedious as hell! Hope this isn't the case, but so far I have not found any parts in FM or PV... I almost turned all the batteries to lead on FA, but decided to do it later. Sigh!!

You can find all items but batteries in industrial buildings. And i also found that the tower in forlorn muskeg had a battery, and 2 of every item needed. What loot you find near the towers is based off the region. I also found lots of loot in the PV radio building including a battery

Edited by Moosemaster

36 minutes ago, Moosemaster said:

You can find all items but batteries in industrial buildings. And i also found that the tower in forlorn muskeg had a battery, and 2 of every item needed. What loot you find near the towers is based off the region. I also found lots of loot in the PV radio building including a battery

Out of the 3 transmitters sites, I only found a battery at FA.  I did post very early about this so maybe they have placed more.

On 4/1/2023 at 3:57 AM, TonyInPleasantValley said:

Reveal hidden contents

Acorns can be found, 1 each it appears, in the dark spots around oak trees. You need 4 acorns to make a coffee. I have yet to figure out how to make it. So let me explain. You need a heavy hammer to crush them, check I have (had) one. You need to cook them. Hmm. I cannot find a way to do this. I thought maybe they need to be dried, but dropping them does nothing to them. Once cooked, the hammer crushes them and then you make coffee. Still trying to figure this one out.

Same here, and I'm... puzzled to find this puzzling (!).

Have you figured that one out yet?

On 4/3/2023 at 1:54 PM, PilgrimReaper said:

Same here, and I'm... puzzled to find this puzzling (!).

Have you figured that one out yet?

Once you collect them you use the crafting menu to prepare them, then crush them with the hammer then you can put a can on a stove, select "Cook" and the prepared acorn grounds should appear on the menu (along with coffee, herbal tea, rosehips etc.)

7 hours ago, Rigel said:

Once you collect them you use the crafting menu to prepare them, then crush them with the hammer then you can put a can on a stove, select "Cook" and the prepared acorn grounds should appear on the menu (along with coffee, herbal tea, rosehips etc.)

Thanks! It's so much work for such a small reward, I'm curious to see in what other ways acorns could be used in the future to prepare food, as was announced by HL...

On 3/31/2023 at 9:57 PM, TonyInPleasantValley said:

OK I started a thread that I thought would document my journey with the new DLC and that I would be able to keep spoiler free. Nah! So here is my new thread on the new update with all spoilers described, but hidden so you can look or ignore. I will do my best to not spoil it for anyone and will add spoiler free descriptions, in case you want to peak.

Reveal hidden contents

Next topic: hardened arrows -

Reveal hidden contents

These are easy to make, just need 5 sticks, some feathers, and a fire! I was able to kill two rabbits with them, so loving this! I can save my special arrows for larger game. When they break, you get your feathers back, so they are a great add to the game. I have not encountered a wolf yet to see if they make them run away...so will update once I do that.

Next topic: Signal Void -

Reveal hidden contents

So you need to head to FA to start this quest. Basically you are going to then be asked to fix a number of transmission systems, so you will need to find repair items. This includes wires, breakers, scrap metal, and a car battery. Once you open and repair it, you turn it on and wait for the aurora or Glimmer Fog to turn on you handheld shortwave radio. This has two bands, and I have not found anything with it yet. Not sure if you need the whole network up or not? After FA, need to go to MT, PV, and FM and find and fix those transmission units.

Next topic: new gear -

Reveal hidden contents

Got the flight jacket so far. It is really nice! Pros are it is warm and really helps in wind areas like FA. Cons are it is heavy at 2.5 kilos and it needs leather to repair vice cloth. I gave up a military coat for it, because it is better IMHO.

Question for you Tony...unrelated to the game.

How did you post multiple spoilers that didn't nest within one another? I've tried every combo I can think of and it just doesn't work for me without nesting.

On 4/7/2023 at 8:02 AM, Merrak said:

Question for you Tony...unrelated to the game.

How did you post multiple spoilers that didn't nest within one another? I've tried every combo I can think of and it just doesn't work for me without nesting.

All I did was add some text, hit enter, add spoiler start tag, add text, add end spoiler tag, hit enter, add text, hit enter, add spoiler tag, ...

Haven't played in a few days but found no parts anywhere before I stopped play except FA. Will try to get back to game in the next day or two and try again. Batteries suck to have to haul around. Could they make them 10 kg instead? 15 makes it hard to get from one region to another with one. Guess I will lay out food and other supplies along the route I am going so I can shed a massive amount of carry weight so I can get the batteries from FA to other areas...sigh

OK I am back to the current game and did indeed find parts around everywhere but PV so far. I got all repaired except PV, but at least I was able to haul a battery from Milton to PV, now just got to find some more fuses and I will have the whole network up and operational and start trying to find the goodies! Can't wait. Hoping I don't get stalled looking for the last two fuses I need. I started this part of the run going back to FA, but found no additional wires or fuses there. Lots of batteries though, which will be good to harvest for lead as I am running low on bullets and need to make a run the BR someday soon. This DLC definitely added some enjoyment and new things to do/go. I like it a lot. I also rolled over 365 days on this survival run, first time I have made it a year in survival!!!

OMG! Cannot believe this...so I am PV looking for fuses, head over to the barn and halfway across the field it goes from flurries to white out. Almost panic cuz I can't see a thing...but luckily I had sighted the barn before it got bad so I kept going straight, hit the road, saw some trees, found the barn. Inside and safe. I had searched all of Thomson's Crossing and the Farmhouse and its associated barn, but not the big red one. Anyhow, nothing there. Then I realized there is a truck in the barn. Open it up, and there is a freaking BATTERY right there in PV. I hauled one all the way to Milton from FA and another all the way to PV from Milton and neither was necessary! I basically had to drop 15KG which meant being very uncomfortable out in the wild! No flare gun, and a bear walks up on me after killing a wolf in FM. Took out Vaugh's and put two in him, second one made him haul tail, thank goodness or my run might have ended right there...all for no reason whatsoever! So funny!! 

Well friends, I have been plowing through this update:

Got PV repaired and found a prepper cache, removed all the goodies, and headed back to TWM to regroup. Got all my gear in order, headed back out, destination Bleak Inlet! Decided to go the FM route, and made good time. Hit one of the hunter's blinds and got set upon by TW. Killed all but one, as directed by the wise folks on this forum, and made my way to the trailer and then to the Cannery. Killed a bunch of TW and made my way to the door to wait for an aurora to open. I had the code from my last trip here where I came the other route and stayed at the Cannery Worker Residences. Aurora came on about night 3, so had time to gather all the goodies, sort them, get wood, get meat, get water, ...the usual survival stuff. Got in, there was a wolf inside! It bit me, I stabbed it, it started running, so I went about my business. It later attacked a second time so I shot it. More meat. Anyhow, got all my tools to 100%, made some bullets and ammo, and moved back to the trailer. Shot the moose, single shot to the head, boy I have had a lucky streak on shots! Meat for dayz!!  Waited for the next aurora and started searching for the prepper. Found it pretty easily plus a fine cache with 10 rifle bullets, MRE, other goodies. Oh, also found the aviator hat along the way as well. Survived a TW attack and falling through ice, made my way back to the trailer. Again, here with more loot that I want than I have the ability to carry. Going to stick here for a bit, repair some more items, and make as many bullets as I can stand to spend time on, then head back to TWM, dump off my new goodies, and head to the airfield for the final chapter. This has been a lot of fun, again got me out of a rut in play style and places I visit. After finishing the DLC, think I will start a new run to keep me occupied until the next DLC release.

• Upvote 1

I am now sitting in FA, awaiting the aurora or glow fog to come so I can complete this wonderful content. I have a number of new items, not all of them, but many, and am happy for that. I have about 2-300 rounds of ammo due to this update as well, so I am going to be able to survive a long time as long as I don't - do - something - stupid, lol. I had dumped a lot of items when last here, including ammo, so I was happy to retrieve those items. Guessing I will find more stuff once the aurora comes and have some hard decisions to make as to what to haul out of this region. Happy as hell with this DLC...looking forward to what the devs have in store for us going forward!

• Upvote 1

Done!

A few last notes:

• Got the new rifle holster - nice but hate to have to choose between it and crampons!
  • Got the new tactical balaclava - really like that look over the green Shrek
  • Ended up with 5 kilos of extra wires and fuses...wondering if they are going to have a use later?
  • Wondering if the story line in this is hinting to what is to come in Wintermute? Interesting details...
  • Love the Gamma bunker! Huge, lotsa space and goodies
  • A little sad for this to be over...sigh
  • Two odd things: first going into FA, I see a wolf, shoot him, he runs bleeding, track him, get to the airfield and still tracking, but no more blood spots, didn't die and I tracked him a loooooong way; still leaving footprints just no blood and definitely the same wolf
  • Odd #2: I did not see another animal spawn in the 5-6 days in FA, no bunny, no wolf, no deer, nada
  • Hiked out, sitting in the RR  depot before the long trek to TWM; have more gear than I can carry PLUS a lot I left in the depot on past runs
  • This DLC was a lot of fun, got lotsa new gear, new prepper caches to hold up in, and more things to decide how or if to use
  • Can't wait until the next update...
Edited by TonyInPleasantValley
  • Upvote 1