No Meat after Quartering Bear

E_T

Playing with newest update, on my save that I had started after TFTFT had first dropped.

I was in FM, near the NE cave.  Had a Bear that I had shot and killed (It had died early evening).  Had gone to harvest it in the early evening.  The bear was about 1/3 way between the NE cave and the Poachers Camp, on the map center side of the ridge.  I had started a fire to thaw enough to quarter and while waiting, pealed off a few steaks and had even cooked two of them and started two more.  The Raw meat condition was 60%.

After quartering the Bear (using hatchet), it did have the Uncured hide, the 10 guts.  But there was ZERO meat (except for the 6 steaks that I had pealed off of it). 

Bug Ticket has been submitted

got a reply and for some reason, they had to shoot and then gut the already dead bear????  I think we are talking about different bears...

1) Woke up in the cave in FM, near the falls

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

2) just outside the cave, note the in game sun dial and stats

The original time that I had done this, I had gone to the other cave (Marsh Ridge - didn't go inside, so no save from that point), grabbed some stuff and moved to the bottom of the Rope (the long way, carrying a lot of stuff), dropped off rocks for pile, played catch the fire with some wolves, mapped a bit, made some more torches, harvested some Reshi, Rose Hips and Cattails, played with the wolves some more, picked up lots of sticks on the way for the impending all-night Bear-B-Q cookout, Headed towards the area I thought that the bear was at (fog in the way), played catch the fire with more wolves, dropped of stuff at the cave and I could hear the crows around the corner from the cave, Got to the Bear at dusk, carved off two steaks and cooked them, carved off 4 more while waiting for the thaw, eat one steak and started two more (should have used the pans, had them direct and burned them) and started the Quartering.  At that time, I had only gotten 6 streaks (1 cooked, 1 cooked and eaten, 2 burned & 2 raw), 10 guts and one hide......    So, this time:

here are the Stats showing that the bear was already dead (was 5 right after I shot him and he was running around)

3) heading directly where the bear is

4) Looking down the hill, using the rifle scope to zoom into where the Bear Carcass is located.  The other cave is to the left of the picture.

5) Getting closer to the NE cave, you can see the bear just left and up from the torch head...  But first, I need to have some wolves play with fire...

6) After discouraging some wolves, I head to the Bear.  You can see the Carrion Crows flying over him...

7) Frozen Bear

8 ) Just the Facts...

9) This time, I had only peeled off 4 steaks, had cooked 2 and eaten on of the cooked before Quartering...  And No Meat Sacks...

10) count them, 10 guts,  1 hide, and no meat sacks....

Edited by E_T

I have encountered a case post Dec update where a bear I quartered ended up short a couple of quartering bags.  I am pretty sure that the missing bags dropped under the world as I think I did actually grab one that was just under the snow/rock surface.  Your outcome was significantly more troubling than mine.  

I too thought that that might have been the case, as I had moved the hide and  guts away and had swept the area to see if I could get an indication that the meat sacks were under the hill.

You can see in the one picture, that the hide is at an angle to the terrain and is partly in the slope, as was some of the guts as well.  Which, was one of the reasons that I picked up and moved the hide guts, to see if there was other stuff that was hidden.

Similarly, as I posted in another thread, about the Prop Dear Carcass in MT (not far from the crashed plane), it was down so far in the terrain, that I couldn't detect it, but I COULD map it AND there were crows flying over it...  I just couldn't reach it to harvest it...

This just happened to me too, with a wolf. No meat, no guts, no hide. Just its little feets.

It was dead maybe 40 hours or so. Not a quick butchery job I admit, but it's not like it was weeks.

6kg on the wolvo:

20230402174930_1.thumb.jpg.4242b18b3848adbaa188e6d267a46563.jpg

Quartered it and got nothing.
20230402175324_1.thumb.jpg.5e1c25215d6fe1b39fc0af51201b908f.jpg

Resumed from a save point to try again. This time I harvested a steak to check the condition - 65%

20230402181402_1.thumb.jpg.83c02fd43c573d8dbec05ad38147d976.jpg

Same thing happened, nothing but paws
20230402173640_1.thumb.jpg.7230ea1e8f994bffe74e55f9128303ef.jpg

I checked around the ground with my mouse as this was on a steepish bank of snow, but
found nothing invisible hiding. The odds of the meat bags AND the guts AND the hide all being obscured perfectly by snow seems a little slim.

Since the QOL update 2.07, I noticed that ravaged rabbits behave a bit differently - you can pick them up but they will disappear immediately from your inventory (a bit like putting a spent flare in a container). I guessed that was because they were too rotten to be usable. I wondered if it was related to this?

Meat and fresh hides and guts have condition, obviously, but carcasses themselves don't, at least not that we can see. I thought maybe there's a secret carcass condition that can drop to 0%/ruined that means rabbits disappear when you pick them up, and animal parts disappear when you quarter them. But I could take the meat/guts/hide separately, and besides the meat was 65% which is far from ruined.

Will submit a bug report.

• Upvote 1

I ran across some rabbit carcasses that disappeared momentarily after being picked up.  I attributed that to the wolf having consumed the rabbit meat and the game did not mark the carcasses as "nothing to harvest" (NTH) so not something to interact with and when picked up the game went "oh, I forgot the carcass is NTH" and updated it right out of our hands and before our eyes.  

Before the December update and a long time ago I recall seeing a wolf kill a deer in Mystery Lake and the deer carcass fell beneath the snow and the wolf could still feed on it but I could not reach it.  This happened several times.  In a couple cases I could access the carcass because a hoof or an ear or antler was just visible.  

:(

After the last Update, it was still doing the same so...

I had to gut my bear the old fashioned way, but I was fortunate in the weather allowing me to cook and cut at the same time and not get blown out...  Most while in an Aurora, but no live critters around, so... 

But after hearing about what others are having problems with, I also had quartered the Bear on the Lake in ML, and it seemed that it was a bit shy on overall meat, but it might had just been a small bear...

• 1 month later...

Same game run, 2nd bear that only had one meat bag after quartering.  The bear carcass was on the hill, near it's lair in FM, near Poachers.  Once quartered, the Hide was 1/2 in the hill, the guts just under the surface, but still able to be gotten and only one meat bag that was able to be reached, after quartering.  Bug Report Submitted with instructions to start from Camp office, move to FM, find Dead Bear at Lair near Poachers, Warm until able to quarter and quarter it. I DID take off 4 steaks before quartering, to cook while waiting...

• 3 weeks later...

Finally shot a bear at the PV Farmstead.  It died in the west field from the Farmstead.  Pretty flat ground among the orchard trees. 

Quartered the carcass.  No glitches or lost quartering bags.  The amount of meat eventually harvested from the quartering bags was about right for the amount of meat on the carcass.  

Suspect that that the possibility of lost items, in this case the quartering bags, would be situational depending on where the carcass was when quartering was done.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2023 at 11:47 AM, UTC-10 said:

Finally shot a bear at the PV Farmstead.  It died in the west field from the Farmstead.  Pretty flat ground among the orchard trees. 

Quartered the carcass.  No glitches or lost quartering bags.  The amount of meat eventually harvested from the quartering bags was about right for the amount of meat on the carcass.  

Suspect that that the possibility of lost items, in this case the quartering bags, would be situational depending on where the carcass was when quartering was done.  

This is consistent with what we've seen, but we continue to investigate this. Thank you for sharing! 

• Upvote 1