Why does mathis have a red sclera on one of his eyes?

RingoA

My theory is ethier: 'snow blindness', injury, or its from extreme cold

So:  with snow blindness its the most unlikely out of the 3 options listed above, as you would probably notice mathis being in discomfort from the condition, which we don't see. Plus, wouldn't other characters had gotten it too? Characters like mackenzie have probably been outside for longer then mathis, and other convicts in the bus crash would've probably gotten it too if mathis got it.

Someone in the TLD subreddit discord said they think mathis may have a cauliflower ear on the same side as his red eye, which may indicate it was a result of injury. But that would also probably cause some type of discomfort I'd assume, which again we don't see mathis having any medical trouble from his eye. But who knows, maybe he's just suffering in the background while mackenzie is out doing missions and just tries to seem tough in front of mackenzie lol

And with cold google says: Blisteringly cold temperatures can cause the blood vessels in our eyes to constrict or freeze our cornea. This process, as we are sure you have guessed, is very painful and can compromise visual clarity. When this process occurs, double vision, blurred vision, and/or loss of vision are likely.

Eyes can heal pretty fast from injury and cold [usually about a week if i remember correctly, correct me if I'm wrong! With the cold it depends on how severe it was I'd assume] so that could make the fact that his eye is still pretty red near the end of ep4 lead a bit more towards snow blindness, although i wouldn't say its actually that likely, at the very least its been about a week passed during ep4, and maybe about 1-2 more weeks if he got his red eye at the bus crash or shortly after, and a bit less if he got it during the travel from mountain town to blackrock. Personally i think its because of an injury.

But it could also be a side effect of being a villain lol, do you guys have any theories about why his eyes sclera is red? 

[NOTE: please don't take what i say about these medical conditions as absolute fact, i am not a medical professional. I'm just some rando on the internet talking about characters in the quiet apocalypse.] 

the-long-dark-fury-then-silence.jpg

• Upvote 1

Likely from a fight with an inmate or guard when he took over and was establishing "dominance"...  any number of head injuries could account for it also.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Even just high blood pressure can cause some similar ruptured capillaries/vessels. 

From other references:
"Popped vessels in the eye can happen relatively easily. They can be caused by rubbing your eyes, coughing, or sneezing, etc..."

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

Likely from a fight with an inmate or guard when he took over and was establishing "dominance"...  any number of head injuries could account for it also.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Even just high blood pressure can cause some similar ruptured capillaries/vessels. 

From other references:
"Popped vessels in the eye can happen relatively easily. They can be caused by rubbing your eyes, coughing, or sneezing, etc..."

I thought it could be because of high blood pressure but i wasn't sure, i didn't put it in because i feared of accidentally spreading misinformation in the event i was wrong.

i think the most likely result of his red eye is injury as well, i just like to speculate what other possibilities there are.

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
58 minutes ago, Semple Fi said:

@RingoA

Cause he’s super angry

and stressed out    

He has a new world to dominate, his son to break out of jail, a case to break into, a warden to beat….

Honestly, his week is pretty full

😉

And he now has a pilot to chase down in EP5 :)

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...