How would you start a fire IRL in TLD like situation?

acada

2 hours ago, diggity said:

Did they solve the loud fan problem?

I never had a problem with fan noise. I heard some stories, but neither I nor my friend who also got one had any issues. So we chalked it up to manufacturing defect as opposed to design defect.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you have a knife or some kind of cutting tool, you could take a thick piece of wood and cut a circular hole in it. Then, with a smaller piece of wood you can 'pry' it in that small hole. Then using your palms to spin the wedged piece of wood back and forth, the friction will eventually cause a fire. This method is used by natives people in Indonesia (learned this studying archaeology lol)

The scenario says you have matches, so it's more about getting a steady fire than creating the initial flame.

I can understand those who argue that TLD should include a bow drill fire-starting method, but I understand why it doesn't, it would be a bit game-breaking if making fire was too easy without matches.

• 2 weeks later...

The single biggest mistake forrest-newbs make in fire building, is that they do not have bigger stuff ready to add to the little, baby fire they just started.  Tinder is for the start, kindling comes next to keep it going, but if that is all you have, then save your tinder and kindling until you have other ready fuel to add.  Birch bark is our friend, pine sap is the stuff of dreams and the mall-ninjas hate this but those $4 stick lighters you see for sale in the checkout line are freaking awesome you can carry six of them.

Like, my humble two cents and stuff.

• Upvote 2