Taming wolves

JackTrysGames

I originally got this concept from Rainworld, another great game.

What if, after a little bit of time and effort, you could tame a wolf, just like our ancestors once did billions of years ago?

Just drop some scraps of food over the course of a week (or two, depending on your Wolf Fear setting) and they'll gradually grow attached to you. Dog Food is especially effective at this, being specially designed for dogs to eat. As time goes on, the wolf will gradually become less hostile to you and let you approach. Eventually, you can get close enough to feed it directly.

After it's fully tamed, you can feed it, use it for hunting, and most importantly... pet it.

But how would you distinguish it from other wolves? Simple. Give it a collar.

Cloth Collar: Craftable by hand using 3 cloth, 1 scrap metal, and a sewing kit. Not much protection, but it's better than nothing. Cannot be found, must be crafted.

Leather Collar: Craftable at a workbench using 3 leather and 1 scrap metal, with a sewing kit. Can also be found in civilian areas, more commonly outdoors than indoors, and in dog houses. Provides some protection to your lupine companion.

Spiked Collar: 3 cured leather, 3 scrap metal, and quality tools at a workbench gets you this beauty. It can also be occasionally found at junkyards and industrial locations, and very rarely in civilian houses. Provides good protection to your lupine companion.

Kevlar Harness: Special spawn item. Very protective. Once used by police officers, and as such spawns in relevant locations. Cowichan Sweater levels of rare, but it's worth it.

Just remember to help it if it gets into a struggle with another wolf or a larger creature. If it doesn't have kevlar, it might take some hits.

TODO:
>Figure out some way to get one up and down a mountaineering rope (piggybacking? modified pet carrier? maybe some kind of mountaineering rope harness?)

This topic has caused quite a bit of controversy over the last few years!  And   very unpleasant  too in some cases.   

It's a nice romantic idea but that's probably as far as it will ever go I'm afraid.   

I'm a huge lover of wolves but in reality I know that they can never be truly tamed .

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

It's a nice romantic idea but that's probably as far as it will ever go I'm afraid.   

I'm a huge lover of wolves but in reality I know that they can never be truly tamed .

Look, TLD is a game where I can get nearly devoured by a ghost, harness the power of aurora borealis to open doors, and lose the ability to sleep from a little bit of spicy fog.

I think they can afford to bend the rules a little bit to make wolf taming possible in game.

1 hour ago, JackTrysGames said:

Look, TLD is a game where I can get nearly devoured by a ghost, harness the power of aurora borealis to open doors, and lose the ability to sleep from a little bit of spicy fog.

I think they can afford to bend the rules a little bit to make wolf taming possible in game.

I never said I was totally against it.. just that it's not likely to happen..    I'd love a companion  and if I could use mods I'd have that very cute fox that's available..     and don't get me started on weird stuff in the game, most of my runs have the weirdest bugs ever!😁

If they ever did add a wolf ,they could make it semi tame to add a risk element for us?   

If I could I'd post links to the topic so you could see for yourself what I meant..   I'm sure someone else will though now I've said that!😊

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

As a concept, I like it, but I don’t think that taming a wolf is an option.

A semi feral stray dog that can be found in urban areas might be a better option. Of course, that would depend on how feral it is… and it would probably run off during an aurora unless you locked it up somewhere.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2020 at 10:55 AM, ManicManiac said:

Personally, I don't think an animal companion really works from a lore perspective anyway.  I think even if we did find a wolf or dog... it would probably immediately try to eat our faces off due to the effects the aurora (in that carnivorous animals are preternaturally aggressive and blood thirsty).  Considering they would most likely just turn hyper-aggressive, I think it puts this particular type of animal companion somewhere in between "extremely dangerous" and "just not really possible under the circumstances."

I really wouldn't want NPCs or animal companions (wolf, dog, or otherwise) in the survival sandbox anyway...

I think this could work fine in the Story Mode or as a dedicated Challenge... but I would not like it if this were incorporated into Survival Mode.  I think it would undermine the lonely isolation and personal struggle that I enjoy so much in survival mode.

Another reason, I think that if we had an animal companion... then we might have a hunting partner, or even to a limited extent a protector.  I don't like that idea because it makes life easier for the player... and I'm rarely in favor of things that would make life easier for the player.

Let me clarify that I'm not against the idea of an animal companion... I just really don't want it in the Survival Sandbox. 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

Im mostly neutral to NPCs or companions but Hinterland decided to break the rules and the loneliness perspective by announcing the trader in TFTFT.

Even tho we don't know how they are gonna implement it, it's very likely it's going to be an NPC.

So the chance of a companion such as dogs or wolves is much more likely now than before.

Ehh I feel like even as it would be a lot of work it would remove a lot of difficulty to have a companion, the game thrives off the feeling of being alone with nothing but corpses and things that want to kill you or you want to kill. An NPC would break the Emerson for a lot of the game. However seems like a good idea for story mode 😁