360degree wind shifts have to STOP.

Chris Taylor

I just have a bloody wind gust follow me around a mountain blowing out my camp fire that i can't recover resource from. that is crap. Wind does not all of sudden figure out the exact angle to blow out your camp fire. at most you have 90 degree angle shift. The entire planet would have to be flipping over for weather patterns like this to happen. 

• Upvote 2

On windy days without cover (provided I can at least get a fire started in the first place), I just feed it one stick at a time.  With this method, I've been able to keep a campfire alive even through a raging blizzard.

Another strategy I tend to make use of fairly extensively are hollowed out trees.  These are wonderful for keeping campfires protected from the wind.  At the very least, it limits the exposure to just one narrow direction.  I don't think I've ever had a campfire in a hollow tree get windblown, but I have to assume it's still possible... so I won't say it's perfectly protected.  Because of that, I always take note of any hollowed-out tree I find on my travels (keeping track in case I ever have cause to start a fire out in the open in those areas).

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Point is, the wind is not so much of a problem as long as we're careful about where and when we get a fire going.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I feel your pain @Chris Taylor, wind direction can feel totally BS. And like @Glflegolassays, it would be nice if there were some sort of prevailing wind/weather patterns for great bear that you could learn.

Still, disliking that aside,  i agree with @ManicManiacthat its still managable - plus keeping a fire going through a storm is a very satisfying part of the challenge. Sure is a pain if you just want to sleep though.

@hozz1235 i hate that wind in your face thing. RWindG does not feel random. I even walk looking sideways to avoid it. Makes the wolves wonder what i'm looking at..

• Upvote 1