Problem with ML wolves?

itsLydt

I'm not as experienced as many of the players in this forum, but I've spent a decent amount of time in the game. When the expansion launched, I started a new stalker run and ended up in Mystery Lake. Been having weird loading issues with the wolves on and around the lake that I don't remember having before.

Basically, the wolves don't seem to load in correctly. I walked around the lake to the cabins and there were 4-5 wolves. 3-4 on the lake pretty close to the shore where the middle group of cabins is, and one wolf prowling the area between the cabins. There was also a bear on the far side of the lake, across from the farthest cabin.

Was really cold so I went inside and looted the cabin and took a short nap to warm up. Went back outside and there were no wolves visible on the lake, but the bear was still wandering around almost out of sight. I was like cool, they must have moved back towards the camp office while I was sleeping. I wanted to visit the fishing hut close to the cabins, so I start walking into the lake. I happen to look away and then back at the hut, and almost crap myself. All wolves from earlier had suddenly popped in and are about a stones throw right in front of my face. There's no way I could have avoided seeing them. 

I fled and went back into the cabin. Came back out and they were gone again, but I was suspicious this time. Staring at the lake, no wolves. I look away, then back. Bam, whole pack of wolves. 

Anyone else having this happen? Do I just need to do a 360° every time I leave a building? 😆

Wolves despawning completely happens now and then. They don't have sleeping places like bears, but they have other things to do than walking around all day and night. So you can come across wolf areas that are empty.

It certainly shouldn't happen like that though. That's buggy.

2 hours ago, itsLydt said:

Do I just need to do a 360° every time I leave a building? 😆

Pretty much, yes.  That behavior has been a "feature" of this game for a long time.  Upon leaving a house or cabin, nearby animals tend to only render in when they're out of your view.  I've seen it numerous times.  I've gotten into the habit of turning 360 every time I leave a cabin just to make sure I'm not walking near an invisible bear or wolf that will suddenly appear when I walk past it.

I've sometimes seen the same thing with wolves on the ice in Coastal highway.  Sometimes when walking a long ways across the ice, wolves will spawn in somewhere ahead of me and if I've only been looking straight ahead, I don't see them until I turn around and turn back.

The moose at Trapper's cabin or on the Broken Railroad pond behind the lodge are good examples if you come across them.  Exit the cabin and you don't see the moose.  Turn around to face the cabin, turn back, and the moose is there (it doesn't make the moose appear if it wasn't there to begin with).  

If you know or suspect animals are nearby, it's always a good idea to do a 360 just after exiting a building, just to make sure you're seeing or hearing whatever is nearby.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Upvote 1

On 12/16/2022 at 11:46 AM, MrWolf said:

Pretty much, yes.  That behavior has been a "feature" of this game for a long time.  Upon leaving a house or cabin, nearby animals tend to only render in when they're out of your view.  I've seen it numerous times.  I've gotten into the habit of turning 360 every time I leave a cabin just to make sure I'm not walking near an invisible bear or wolf that will suddenly appear when I walk past it.

Interesting...not sure how I never noticed. Looking back it might explain some surprise wolf encounters I had chalked up to being unobservant/unfamiliar! 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2022 at 7:31 AM, itsLydt said:

I'm not as experienced as many of the players in this forum, but I've spent a decent amount of time in the game. When the expansion launched, I started a new stalker run and ended up in Mystery Lake. Been having weird loading issues with the wolves on and around the lake that I don't remember having before.

Basically, the wolves don't seem to load in correctly. I walked around the lake to the cabins and there were 4-5 wolves. 3-4 on the lake pretty close to the shore where the middle group of cabins is, and one wolf prowling the area between the cabins. There was also a bear on the far side of the lake, across from the farthest cabin.

Was really cold so I went inside and looted the cabin and took a short nap to warm up. Went back outside and there were no wolves visible on the lake, but the bear was still wandering around almost out of sight. I was like cool, they must have moved back towards the camp office while I was sleeping. I wanted to visit the fishing hut close to the cabins, so I start walking into the lake. I happen to look away and then back at the hut, and almost crap myself. All wolves from earlier had suddenly popped in and are about a stones throw right in front of my face. There's no way I could have avoided seeing them. 

I fled and went back into the cabin. Came back out and they were gone again, but I was suspicious this time. Staring at the lake, no wolves. I look away, then back. Bam, whole pack of wolves. 

Anyone else having this happen? Do I just need to do a 360° every time I leave a building? 😆

Thank you for posting. If this happens again, please don't hesitate to reach out via the Support Portal. We're happy to investigate.