When are you going to finish the story?

Deseoso

I have to say I am a little annoyed. I find it rather cheeky that you bring out an expansion that you expect people to pay for when you haven't completed the base game that we have all already paid for. When I saw that the expansion was out I reinstalled TLD thinking I could finally play episode 5. I was very surprised to still see the message that it will be unlockable in the future. I don't know about other players but I point blank refuse to pay money for an expansion to a game that you haven't completed yet.

Imagine if Peter Jackson had made The Fellowship of the Ring and then The Two Towers but then decided, "Ah, can't be bothered to make Return of the King. Lets make part one of The Hobbit instead." I guarantee people would have been rightfully angry and many would simply refuse to go see his new film until he finished Lord of the Rings.

When can we expect the game that we already paid for to finally be finished?

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Deseoso said:

I have to say I am a little annoyed. I find it rather cheeky that you bring out an expansion that you expect people to pay for when you haven't completed the base game that we have all already paid for. When I saw that the expansion was out I reinstalled TLD thinking I could finally play episode 5. I was very surprised to still see the message that it will be unlockable in the future. I don't know about other players but I point blank refuse to pay money for an expansion to a game that you haven't completed yet.

Imagine if Peter Jackson had made The Fellowship of the Ring and then The Two Towers but then decided, "Ah, can't be bothered to make Return of the King. Lets make part one of The Hobbit instead." I guarantee people would have been rightfully angry and many would simply refuse to go see his new film until he finished Lord of the Rings.

Just to put this in perspective, this was the first survival game I ever got...but I initially really got it for story mode. I assumed I would never get into playing survival mode. After  nearly 5,200 hours the vast majority of which was in survival how do I feel about story?

I feel as if they've done a fantastic job!

Originally Hinterland was planning on short Telltale games length episodes...they were thinking 2-4 hours each. To say that was a little off would be an understatement, I can easily play 6 hours in Chapter 1 itself. The full game is going to be at least quadruple the size that they had originally planned! Then they remade Chapters 1 and 2 much improving them- and then a while after that Crossroads Elegy...and then in spite of working remotely they got Chapter 4 out to us last Christmas.

We know that there is a lot of story to wrap up and a lot of places to explore- it is easily going to be the longest Chapter yet.

In order for them to facilitate a faster output on the final Chapter they mace the choice to Separate the Survival and Story modes entirely. This made it so that changes could be made to Story without having to exhaustively make sure there were no issues or bugs across both story and survival. That is why it would take forever to update the game.

Now that both are separate they now have separate teams as well- with one team working on the final Chapter of Story mode and the other working on the free updates to the survival sandbox and the TFTFT DLC.

This enables the survival sandbox/TFTFT to be worked on concurrently and separately from the team working on the final chapter of Story mode. Which in turn allows the Sandbox/TFTFT to be updated as often as the sandbox was updated in the Early Access days. This also means that while we are indeed waiting for the final Chapter of Story mode we are continuously getting updates to refine the game further until the final Chapter drops (currently Dec 2023 at the earliest).

The main reason that TFTFT came about is actually because the fans requested it. They wanted Hinterland to expand the island and refine the gameplay and they are the ones that wanted to pat $19.99 (or their countries equivalent).

People can choose not to get TFTFT and still get sandbox updates every 8-10 weeks for free. All of this work will help the team working specifically on the final Chapter as well.

To make it abundantly clear you do NOT have to purchase TFTFT if you don't want to get the DLC...you will still get free survival updates all year.

Also to make it crystal clear, anyone who purchased TLD well get, AS PROMISED, all 5 Chapters of the story for free with than initial purchase.

I am not worried or concerned with how long story mode is taking to reach completion, because when Hinterland have dropped a new chapter it has always been of the highest quality.

So I look at it this way, I get what was promised by Hinterland with my original purchase- and I eagerly await Chapter 5 because I know based on all that Hinterland has done with TLD, that the wait for Chapter 5 will be absolutely worth it.

And yet while I wait I choose to show my thanks to Hinterland for all the time and effort they've put into TLD over the years by purchasing a DLC that one isn't required to purchase- and I get to play brand new TLD throughout the time of anxious waiting for Chapter/Episode 5 of the Story.

Hinterland are not being underhanded, they are being generous.

Yet I also choose to purchase the DLC because

• Upvote 3

Okay, I'll hold my hands up and say that I feel better about the release of the DLC now. I was not aware that there was a second team working on the DLC. I was picturing that they had put all the work on Chapter 5 on hold so they could produce something else that they could charge us for. I am glad to have it clarified that that is not the case. I was dreading that this was going to be another repeat of The Gallery games, Call of the Starseed and Heart of the Emberstone. If you are not familiar with them, they are two of the best VR games I ever played but they were part one and part two of a trilogy story that the developers never bothered to finish in favor of working on a completely different project with no intention to ever finish the story they started.

Hearing that they are still working on chapter 5 has changed my mind and I probably will pick up the DLC because Hinterland have always produced very high quality content. I'm sure the DLC won't disappoint and will hopefully tide us over until Chapter 5 is finished. Thanks for the clarification.

Edited by Deseoso
  • Upvote 1

Survival mode is the reason TLD is as well regarded as it is and maybe the reason it even still exists yet. But it was an accident. The game was originally pitched for the story, yes. But they released survival mode as a test bed and to show off what they are working on. And people liked it. Even when there wasn't much to do. Over time it became the game for many people. It's what they keep coming back for for hundreds or thousands of hours. While story mode is something most people play once or maybe twice.

They have to finish story mode obviously and it will happen, but personally I don't look forward to it at all. It's ok, but I play it completely differently from survival. I rush through it between the objectives. I don't enjoy the scenery. Whereas in survival I can just enjoy walking and not even doing all that much.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Deseoso said:

Okay, I'll hold my hands up and say that I feel better about the release of the DLC now. I was not aware that there was a second team working on the DLC. I was picturing that they had put all the work on Chapter 5 on hold so they could produce something else that they could charge us for. I am glad to have it clarified that that is not the case. I was dreading that this was going to be another repeat of The Gallery games, Call of the Starseed and Heart of the Emberstone. If you are not familiar with them, they are two of the best VR games I ever played but they were part one and part two of a trilogy story that the developers never bothered to finish in favor of working on a completely different project with no intention to ever finish the story they started.

Hearing that they are still working on chapter 5 has changed my mind and I probably will pick up the DLC because Hinterland have always produced very high quality content. I'm sure the DLC won't disappoint and will hopefully tide us over until Chapter 5 is finished. Thanks for the clarification.

That's awesome, I'm glad I could bring peace of mind and clarity to the situation- I hope you enjoy the DLC.

Speaking of that, please remember, that the whole thing is being released across the year with 5 Updates 8-10 weeks apart.

I am hoping this is made clearer on the Expansion page if not now...after the New Year.

So people can see what update one has added and perhaps what is planned for Update 2.

On 12/13/2022 at 10:42 AM, RossBondReturns said:

That's awesome, I'm glad I could bring peace of mind and clarity to the situation- I hope you enjoy the DLC.

Speaking of that, please remember, that the whole thing is being released across the year with 5 Updates 8-10 weeks apart.

I am hoping this is made clearer on the Expansion page if not now...after the New Year.

So people can see what update one has added and perhaps what is planned for Update 2.

I’m pretty sure the quality and timeliness of episode 5 hinges on the success of this DLC.

They aren’t making money anymore without it.  And without money, their developers have to work on other projects and possibly for other companies just to feed their families.  

I can’t imagine that the sales of TLD are breaking records after (10?) years of being on the shelf. 

I had literally never heard of it until two years ago.  

So I imagine that having some new revenue is breathing life back into the ENTIRE project, one that easily could’ve been shelved indefinitely.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Semple Fi said:

I’m pretty sure the quality and timeliness of episode 5 hinges on the success of this DLC.

They aren’t making money anymore without it.  And without money, their developers have to work on other projects and possibly for other companies just to feed their families.  

I can’t imagine that the sales of TLD are breaking records after (10?) years of being on the shelf. 

I had literally never heard of it until two years ago.  

So I imagine that having some new revenue is breathing life back into the ENTIRE project, one that easily could’ve been shelved indefinitely.  

This is not the case. For more information about why we created TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY, please visit: 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Admin said:

This is not the case. For more information about why we created TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY, please visit: 

I’ve been corrected!

Either way, I’ve been happy to try and support TLD as much as I can, I’ve really grown to love the game and I’m happy to see it succeed. 👍🏼

On 12/12/2022 at 10:53 PM, Deseoso said:

Who the hell is Peter jackson? The l.o.t.r. Trilogy was written by j.r.r. Tolkien

• Upvote 1

On 12/17/2022 at 9:02 AM, Bearimpaler101 said:

Who the hell is Peter jackson? The l.o.t.r. Trilogy was written by j.r.r. Tolkien

Tolkien wrote the books. Jackson made the movies: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjXn5zzkoT8AhUInOAKHdLgCa4QFnoECDUQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FPeter_Jackson&usg=AOvVaw0J0KgFJsGdhkat2ePipxrU

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Leeanda said:

There's only episode 5 left,which they are working on ,as well as survival.   

Good things come to he who waits.😊

How are they going to fit Methuselah, Donner, Mathis, Astrid and everyone else into this one episode. It will just end up really convoluted. 

25 minutes ago, desertedone said:

How are they going to fit Methuselah, Donner, Mathis, Astrid and everyone else into this one episode. It will just end up really convoluted. 

I'm hoping Mathis isn't in it... It's unlikely to see gray mother either imo.. I can't see her leaving her house..  maybe Father Thomas and the healed passengers set out to rescue the others and head off to perseverance?   There is a lot of speculation about Methuselah even being real.. so who knows,anything can happen...  

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I'm hoping Mathis isn't in it... It's unlikely to see gray mother either imo.. I can't see her leaving her house..  maybe Father Thomas and the healed passengers set out to rescue the others and head off to perseverance?   There is a lot of speculation about Methuselah even being real.. so who knows,anything can happen...  

If Molly shows up and shoots Mathis I'll make whole thread just to thank the devs!

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

It’d be interesting to have multiple endings depending on how you treated the NPCs you came across earlier in the story.

That's an interesting idea..   I've killed Hobbs both ways several times though,thanks to cheap consoles.😁

Interestingly.... they don’t seem to matter much to me.... The story isn’t about them (all the side characters)... It’s about Will and Astrid and their son.  I feel like the episodes left many of them where they belonged.

Grey Mother will pass away in her home. Alone.  But satisfied that the death of her daughter brought closure by Will. 
Molly will remain in the farmhouse.  Minus 1 abusive husband.  
Father Thomas and the survivors will weather out the storm, then work on getting home to their loved ones. 

and so on.  And so on.   

But the real story is about... 😉

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Bearimpaler101 said:

I always think that I'm gonna push the knife in and then I never do. I just can't bring up the courage to kill a horrible person. Lol

I hate to say it but he's going to die either way....   But you're probably not the only one who feels like that.😊

• Upvote 1