Parasite worms, 1% = 1000%?

wizard03

So Iv noticed through various runs now that anytime I get a chance of worms, every single time, I get the worms. Every single time now.

I just went through a run and decided to try the "1000 cuts of a single piece of meat" Followed by "1000 cooked pieces of meat to improve cooking skill" theory. Indeed it worked very well I might say, 1 deer and wolf has improved my cooking to level 4. However on the very last piece of wolf meat, I got a little zealous and accidentally ate the last piece of meat. 1% chance of parasite infection...

No joke, I wasn't even done cooking the rest of the deer meat before it became a full blown parasite infection that requires 10 full days of antibiotic treatments.

Why is there even a percentage chance? 

I've got parasites several times from 1% chance. And given the rarity of me eating predator meat at all that's actually a very high percentage of getting parasites compared to consumption.

I have always thought this was a bit "off". One of the reasons I only eat it when I'm desperate, the percentages don't seem to matter.

(Although you really were unlucky eating it by mistake)

It could be worse. I got parasites eating a bit of raw bear. Took all the shroom treatments, had it all planned out down to the last dose but I cut it too close. On the last day I got food poisoning from a 38% can of something er other and didn't have another shroom tea. Haha! I died...

1% should be 1% but It's a game. I'm quite sure those percentages aren't even close to mathematically correct. It's a random number generator on a computer.

You guys should read up on how the parasites mechanic works: https://thelongdark.fandom.com/wiki/Intestinal_parasites

The chance displayed during the first 24h only determines how likely you'll get it after 24h and with raw meat, you are 75% likely to get it.

About food poisoning, check out this list on foods to avoid below 75% or below 20%: https://thelongdark.fandom.com/wiki/Food_poisoning

In order to get the well fed bonus before getting coocking 5, I always eat one and only one cooked predator a day so every day I'm at 1% for quite a time and very scarcely get the parasite (I don't cook small pieces of meat, always 1Kg)

I've been practicing this a very lonnnnng time for manyyyy interloper games and I'm doing it actually as I gear up before getting to the new region

So, maybe my character's clones are somewhat used to it lol !