My first real exploration of Hushed River Valley

MattD

Hello everyone! I wanted to make a post about this because it just opened my eyes to how amazing this region really is. 

First, some context: I'm usually a stalker player. For this run, though, I decided to play on pilgrim just so I could focus more on the region and not have to worry about predators. I opted to spawn in Milton so I could go into HRV with good clothing and a few other tools and supplies. Naturally, being on pilgrim, I found way too much loot and went into HRV just shy of being encumbered. Even after dumping a ton of it at Gray Mother's house. 

So, I just arrived in HRV. My only previous experience in this zone was getting out of it from spawns on interloper. Already knowing the route from the MT cave to the Hushed River spawn point, I chose to just go somewhere else in the zone I'd never been to before. So I headed west aimlessly. 

I made it to Stairsteps lake and was already in awe of the zone. The ambiance created from Cloudtop falls in the background and the sheer expanse of the zone ahead of me was both exhilarating and somewhat scary at the same time. I began heading north just as sunset approached. 

I wasn't too keen on exploring in the dark, so I started looking for a cave to spend the night in. I wanted to avoid using a map for this exploration, so I didn't know there was only one cave in the area. I didn't end up finding that cave. Fortunately, I did find a camp site with a snow shelter, and a bunch of firewood right by Hushed River. This is where I spent the first night in the zone.

By morning, I had windy but clear weather. I saw the smoke from the mysterious signal fire and decided that would be a good goal for the day. I headed in that direction looking for a possible way up. When I found the rope, I had to drop more loot to make the climb. Once I made it up there, I found the ice cave. This would be my way down, I thought, since I'd be encumbered again and tired by the time I looted the signal fire. 

I made it over to the camp site and got the moose hide satchel along with more food. Even with the extra carrying capacity, I was still too heavy due to low energy. 

I found the cave by the camp site and decided to sleep there for a while and drop some of the clothing I found to bring my weight back down. I was just light enough to take the rope back down, so I did that instead of taking the ice cave. Before descending, I mapped the area from the ledge. This made me choose to take the long rope from Many Falls Vista down to the Twin Sister Falls area. 

I explored this area for a bit, went up to Moose Overlook (didn't find the bow) then found the rope to Pensive Vista. Headed up there, mapped some more, headed over to Monolith Lake, mapped that area and retired to the cave by Watchful Falls for the night. 

The next day (this was probably day 4 or 5 in the zone) I decided to head west to see what's on that side of the zone. By the time I made it to Mammoth Falls, I was blown away by the landscape. I kept saying aloud as I was playing "this region is amazing." Unfortunately for me, I had a really hard time navigating in this area. I got lost more over there than anywhere else in the zone so far. I actually resorted to the "stick compass" a few times to find my way around. 

I eventually found the Ice cave and decided to see where it takes me. It took me to an area north of the rope back down to Hushed River. I ended up heading down there and spent the night in the cave. The next day I followed the river down and took the log up to the Stairsteps Lake area. At this point, I decided to head back to mountain town since I had seen most of the zone by this point. That being said, there's still so much more to see and I'll be heading back soon. All said and done, I spent about 12 days there. 

My next destination is Ash Canyon, since I've never been there at all. Although, I don't think it'll top the experience I've had in HRV. This zone is the most impressive region I've explored yet. I still need a lot more time to be able to confidently navigate it. If anyone has any tips for getting around, I'm all ears! If you haven't been here, or you think it's too complicated or dangerous, I'm telling you: just go! It's amazing and totally worth it. 

• Upvote 5

16 hours ago, MattD said:

My next destination is Ash Canyon, since I've never been there at all. Although, I don't think it'll top the experience I've had in HRV. This zone is the most impressive region I've explored yet. I still need a lot more time to be able to confidently navigate it. If anyone has any tips for getting around, I'm all ears!

Ask @Sgt Socks… or just read her thread :).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

Good read! Thanks for the link. This will help a lot when I make it to AC. Just made it to PV, and will be heading to TWM soon. Not used to so much loot, I'll probably not loot anything until I get to AC. I've been playing interloper a lot more often and pilgrim seems like a totally different game lol

2 minutes ago, MattD said:

Good read! Thanks for the link. This will help a lot when I make it to AC. Just made it to PV, and will be heading to TWM soon. Not used to so much loot, I'll probably not loot anything until I get to AC. I've been playing interloper a lot more often and pilgrim seems like a totally different game lol

Ash is like forlorn when it comes to loot on pilgrim....... In very short supply or not in good condition.  

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Ash is like forlorn when it comes to loot on pilgrim....... In very short supply or not in good condition.  

Good to know. Exploration is my main goal for this pilgrim run. The only loot I really want from there is what's in the gold mine. But really just learning the zone for actual stalker/loper runs later on will make me happy! 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MattD said:

Good to know. Exploration is my main goal for this pilgrim run. The only loot I really want from there is what's in the gold mine. But really just learning the zone for actual stalker/loper runs later on will make me happy! 

It took me a while to get round ash without going in a circle😁.  But it's a great place once you get to know it..  the mine loot varies but that backpack and crampons are worth it.  It's where I start my new runs, but only on pilgrim. I'm not that brave!🙂 

Good luck and have fun👍🙂

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

Awwh thanks Conan! 💙❤️💚💜🧡

I certainly went into enough detail *blush* Although it may be a case of the blind leading the blind were someone to use it for assistance 😳😄

Edited by Sgt Socks

On 10/10/2022 at 9:54 PM, MattD said:

Hello everyone! I wanted to make a post about this because it just opened my eyes to how amazing this region really is. 

First, some context: I'm usually a stalker player. For this run, though, I decided to play on pilgrim just so I could focus more on the region and not have to worry about predators. I opted to spawn in Milton so I could go into HRV with good clothing and a few other tools and supplies. Naturally, being on pilgrim, I found way too much loot and went into HRV just shy of being encumbered. Even after dumping a ton of it at Gray Mother's house. 

So, I just arrived in HRV. My only previous experience in this zone was getting out of it from spawns on interloper. Already knowing the route from the MT cave to the Hushed River spawn point, I chose to just go somewhere else in the zone I'd never been to before. So I headed west aimlessly. 

I made it to Stairsteps lake and was already in awe of the zone. The ambiance created from Cloudtop falls in the background and the sheer expanse of the zone ahead of me was both exhilarating and somewhat scary at the same time. I began heading north just as sunset approached. 

I wasn't too keen on exploring in the dark, so I started looking for a cave to spend the night in. I wanted to avoid using a map for this exploration, so I didn't know there was only one cave in the area. I didn't end up finding that cave. Fortunately, I did find a camp site with a snow shelter, and a bunch of firewood right by Hushed River. This is where I spent the first night in the zone.

By morning, I had windy but clear weather. I saw the smoke from the mysterious signal fire and decided that would be a good goal for the day. I headed in that direction looking for a possible way up. When I found the rope, I had to drop more loot to make the climb. Once I made it up there, I found the ice cave. This would be my way down, I thought, since I'd be encumbered again and tired by the time I looted the signal fire. 

I made it over to the camp site and got the moose hide satchel along with more food. Even with the extra carrying capacity, I was still too heavy due to low energy. 

I found the cave by the camp site and decided to sleep there for a while and drop some of the clothing I found to bring my weight back down. I was just light enough to take the rope back down, so I did that instead of taking the ice cave. Before descending, I mapped the area from the ledge. This made me choose to take the long rope from Many Falls Vista down to the Twin Sister Falls area. 

I explored this area for a bit, went up to Moose Overlook (didn't find the bow) then found the rope to Pensive Vista. Headed up there, mapped some more, headed over to Monolith Lake, mapped that area and retired to the cave by Watchful Falls for the night. 

The next day (this was probably day 4 or 5 in the zone) I decided to head west to see what's on that side of the zone. By the time I made it to Mammoth Falls, I was blown away by the landscape. I kept saying aloud as I was playing "this region is amazing." Unfortunately for me, I had a really hard time navigating in this area. I got lost more over there than anywhere else in the zone so far. I actually resorted to the "stick compass" a few times to find my way around. 

I eventually found the Ice cave and decided to see where it takes me. It took me to an area north of the rope back down to Hushed River. I ended up heading down there and spent the night in the cave. The next day I followed the river down and took the log up to the Stairsteps Lake area. At this point, I decided to head back to mountain town since I had seen most of the zone by this point. That being said, there's still so much more to see and I'll be heading back soon. All said and done, I spent about 12 days there. 

My next destination is Ash Canyon, since I've never been there at all. Although, I don't think it'll top the experience I've had in HRV. This zone is the most impressive region I've explored yet. I still need a lot more time to be able to confidently navigate it. If anyone has any tips for getting around, I'm all ears! If you haven't been here, or you think it's too complicated or dangerous, I'm telling you: just go! It's amazing and totally worth it. 

Matt I wish you well!

Personally I hated HRV so much you wouldn't be able to get me to play it on any difficulty, ever. It made me even more claustrophobic and panicky than Ash Canyon; I don't do well in places that I can't readily find a way out of.

However, as with everything, it is a matter of personal preference. I hope you have fun exploring and learn the map enough to expand your future runs.

I shall watch with interest and keep everything crossed for you 🍀🤞

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Sgt Socks said:

Matt I wish you well!

Personally I hated HRV so much you wouldn't be able to get me to play it on any difficulty, ever. It made me even more claustrophobic and panicky than Ash Canyon; I don't do well in places that I can't readily find a way out of.

However, as with everything, it is a matter of personal preference. I hope you have fun exploring and learn the map enough to expand your future runs.

I shall watch with interest and keep everything crossed for you 🍀🤞

Thank you Sgt Socks! I used to feel the same way about HRV, which is why I've resisted going there for years. Even after close to 2 in-game weeks of being there, I still don't know my way around that well. That being said, I've gained a new appreciation of the zone and feel slightly better about going there. Looking forward to visiting Ash Canyon after reading your thread! 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MattD said:

Thank you Sgt Socks! I used to feel the same way about HRV, which is why I've resisted going there for years. Even after close to 2 in-game weeks of being there, I still don't know my way around that well. That being said, I've gained a new appreciation of the zone and feel slightly better about going there. Looking forward to visiting Ash Canyon after reading your thread! 

Thank you for taking the time to read it Matt. Ash was a nice surprise to me. I still get panicky there but nowhere near as bad, and it certainly doesn't prevent me making the most of the offerings now. @Leeanda is a good person to ask for directions in Ash if you need them, I end up getting you completely lost! 🙈

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng

I've been singing the praises for HRV ever since it launched. Best region in the game, still. One of the best levels ever made in all of video game history - period.

1 hour ago, Sgt Socks said:

Thank you for taking the time to read it Matt. Ash was a nice surprise to me. I still get panicky there but nowhere near as bad, and it certainly doesn't prevent me making the most of the offerings now. @Leeanda is a good person to ask for directions in Ash if you need them, I end up getting you completely lost! 🙈

Thanks for the vote of confidence but I'm not that good with the map.. I still go in circles sometimes and I'm lousy remembering the names😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

I've been singing the praises for HRV ever since it launched. Best region in the game, still. One of the best levels ever made in all of video game history - period.

Ummm.... each to their own! 😳 I'd rather throw myself off Raven Bridge personally but then again I'm not good in claustrophobic environments. Anyone who gets a handle on HRV gets props from me.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Sgt Socks said:

Ummm.... each to their own! 😳 I'd rather throw myself off Raven Bridge personally but then again I'm not good in claustrophobic environments. Anyone who gets a handle on HRV gets props from me.

I had to force myself to live there for a long time.  It really does grow on you.  Once you learn how to navigate it, it's not bad at all considering all the caves & tunnels for shelter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hozz1235 said:

I had to force myself to live there for a long time.  It really does grow on you.  Once you learn how to navigate it, it's not bad at all considering all the caves & tunnels for shelter.

I have no doubt it does Hozz. I would like to experience it, I used to really dislike PV but love the wide open spaces and nooks and crannies now. Except the bears.

The issue I have with HRV is I have PTSD and if I can't easily locate an exit or way out of somewhere it, umm, it's not pretty. It's why I have to turn wolves down, limit the jumpscares. I figure the game should be therapeutic not a trial by fire.

It is a shame, for sure. I would like to spend a decent amount of time in HRV to work out if I would still rather eat my arm than be there, but it ain't gonna happen. I shall just watch from the sidelines 😊

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
14 hours ago, Sgt Socks said:

The issue I have with HRV is I have PTSD and if I can't easily locate an exit or way out of somewhere it, umm, it's not pretty. It's why I have to turn wolves down, limit the jumpscares. I figure the game should be therapeutic not a trial by fire.

Well then HRV indeed might not the best map for you. Sorry to hear you're afflicted this way.

1 hour ago, jeffpeng said:

Well then HRV indeed might not the best map for you. Sorry to hear you're afflicted this way.

Bless you Jeff 🧡 It's been around for literally 90% of my life so I'm kinda used to it. But it does have its major downsides for sure. However I'm happy watching other people do some of the stuff I can't or won't so it's all good 😊

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...