Used world's option on new playthroughs

Captcavey

It would be a great option if game worlds could be captured at the point of the players death and for there to be an option for new playthroughs to use a "used world". The new playthrough would then have the world from a random deceased player.

The random world that is captured would be from a pool of world's that the community give permission to be captured, not your own playthroughs.

I think it would be a bad idea. Literally 90% of TLD players have compulsive hoarding disorder. You'd just end up with mad amount of loot most of the time, which would discourage exploring.

I wouldn't want to find a stash with 8 hacksaws, 13 hatchets, 83 gallons of lamp oil, 16,000 wolf pelts and 30 tons of rancid deer meat.

On the other hand, It would be quite interesting to stumble upon @piddy3825's place. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Stinky socks said:

I think it would be a bad idea. Literally 90% of TLD players have compulsive hoarding disorder. You'd just end up with mad amount of loot most of the time, which would discourage exploring.

I wouldn't want to find a stash with 8 hacksaws, 13 hatchets, 83 gallons of lamp oil, 16,000 wolf pelts and 30 tons of rancid deer meat.

On the other hand, It would be quite interesting to stumble upon @piddy3825's place. 

welcome to my lair...
bwahhahahhahaha screen_1c4600fe-3981-4ef0-ad88-7330f7fb2cee_hi.thumb.png.a28bc28eabe370d4cbd1592aae085f3e.png

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, Stinky socks said:

That looks great! I wonder what would honterland say if they found out you beheaded every npc in the game😅👍makes Matthis and Donner look like child's play!

how else do you think I've been keeping my "well fed" status after 852 days...

• Upvote 2

As to OP's original idea, 
I like the concept.  Consider finding an isolated cave or seldomly used building in the game and you either discover a treasure trove of items or in some cases nothing more than a bunch of empty cans and a couple of broken whetstones.  In my own gameplay, I seldomly throw anything away by putting the items into a container, rather I like to prominently display those items as if maybe someday they might yet again be useful.   

So image you've found my base camp, you enter, it's dark, so you light your torch only to discover a veritable bonanza of items!  You think to yourself that you've hit the motherload only to discover everything is broken beyond repair and all the canned food items are spoiled, the clothing is all just tattered threads and the only reason it doesn't stink in there with hundreds of kilos of rotten meat laying about is the fact that everything is frozen solid...

gotcha!

oh, you find 1500 totally usable tinderplugs, ha ha ha ha 😈

• Like 2

It could add an extra level of difficulty for those that have learned the loot locations. Also, I bet there would be LOADS of worlds where the new spawn lasted about 5 minutes in Interloper... like me :wolf:😵

You could make it so that a backpack appears where the deceased checked out which stores items that are crucial to the game (if they were carrying them). This would make finding that one item a potentially huge find. The chances of finding that one backpack would be mighty slim. Maybe a little note inside which details the past users locations so you can get an idea of what has/hasn't been looted.

As has been mentioned on this thread: 

the only balanced way that this idea could be implemented would be to implement something like Subnautica’s “Time Capsule”.

On 1/15/2022 at 8:45 AM, APixelatedLemon said:

The only way I could see multiplayer being added was if a lot more indirect than the more traditional multiplayer. A good example of the this would be Subnautica's "Time Capsule" mechanic. A quick run down of what the Time Capsule in Subnautica was incase you don't know, when you complete the game, you are given the option to leave a Time Capsule for another player to find somewhere in the world. The Time Capsule would be filled with a few items, along with a message, and a picture to add a bit of personality to them. 

The Long Dark could have something similar. Perhaps in the world you can find an item called a "Empty Drop-off bag" There would only ever be one of these in a game world, and if you do find it, then when your character eventually dies, you are then given the option to use the Drop-off bag for another player to find. You can fill the bag with 5kg/11lbs of whatever you like. Along side this you could leave a message telling how you died, or leave an encouraging (or discouraging) message and a screenshot you took that life, or if you didn't take a screenshot, it could instead be a picture of the moment you died. The Players Drop-Off bag would then be left somewhere around where they died. So if they died in the Clearcut location in Mystery Lake, then the bag would be in that area.

Another thing is if you are playing on interloper, than you can't find Bags that contain items that don't spawn in interloper, such as firearms.

@APixelatedLemon has said it all. I have nothing else to add as of this moment.

I don't think this idea would work. But it reminds me of one of my own.

I think it would be cool if the game "imitated" the presence of other survivors. Like, you could find a campfire that is still burning or a snow shelter where there wasn't one before. Can you imagine leaving your base for a few days, and when you return, you find a corpse there? Or hearing a shot in the distance? That would be haunting.
Maybe when you cross the Raven Falls bridge for the 50th time a bullet can zip right in front of the camera, immediately increasing the wet percentage of your pants.
I'm not saying you should be able to meet those survivors, but they should be somewhere out there, just outside of your FOV. 

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Ghurcb said:

I don't think this idea would work. But it reminds me of one of my own.

I think it would be cool if the game "imitated" the presence of other survivors. Like, you could find a campfire that is still burning or a snow shelter where there wasn't one before. Can you imagine leaving your base for a few days, and when you return, you find a corpse there? Or hearing a shot in the distance? That would be haunting.
Maybe when you cross the Raven Falls bridge for the 50th time a bullet can zip right in front of the camera, immediately increasing the wet percentage of your pants.
I'm not saying you should be able to meet those survivors, but they should be somewhere out there, just outside of your FOV. 

I've already had the "being shot at " experience.  It was indeed unnerving .🙂

Just now, Ghurcb said:

In a game, right?

image.png.f7b53c44b49585f46d63bfb448f43b2f.png

Lol.. yes .  A couple of years ago in mystery lake . I am 100% positive I heard two shots and them hitting something very close to where I was standing.  

Actually I have had a gun aimed at me in real life. (Army cadets) They were using blanks though. Obviously.🙂 

Also unnerving 🙂

8 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

Creepypasta opportunity detected!

I know it's been said before but this game has the capacity to become a 'horror ' as well as a  survival game.   

Those noises you sometimes hear ,in the mines ,for example are already. Creepy🙂 

Atmosphere is something that hinterland excels at.

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 2