Luckiest moment on survival mode

Goletitout

Over 100 days into an interloper run. Carelessly thinking I was warm enough, I slept in the cabin in Timberwolf mountain. A blizzard started and when I woke up I had 2% health (down from ~85%). If I'd slept for another minute or two I'd be dead. If the blizzard was a fraction colder or started a few minutes sooner I'd be dead. The RNG gods were on my side that day

Walking out of the Hibernia plant in a fog only to become face to face with a bear.  I jumped scared so bad that somehow I jammed the controller in such a way that the character glitched into the debris beside the building in such a way that the bear could no longer reach him and the bear ran off.  I wasn't able to get out of the debris, but I was able to reload from my previous save, which was still inside the processing plant... and exit using a different door to avoid the bear.

The second one was, of course, when I opted to sleep out a blizzard just after taking a shot at bear... not realizing it was the bear's cave... and waking up next to a dead bear rather than a sleeping one.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Found my first Bedroll on Day 72 of Interloper, in BR Hunting lodge when i was on the way to the new areas. Took the 3 Wolfs outside maintenance shed a little too carelessly, got 2 struggles, and shortly before the new Area, i wanted to sleep but couldnd find my bearroll in radial menu. Opened inventory and seen that the wolf struggle ruined my 73% contition bearroll.

That find literally saved me going back to my bases and hunting another 2 bears

Having been playing this game for 5 years now, I have of course experienced a lot of lucky moments (along with terribly unlucky ones, mind you). I was positively cheering that time that I — who am still awfully clumsy at hunting wildlife — managed to one-shot kill a bear in Forlorn Muskeg near the Poacher's Camp. With a revolver. At an impossibly long distance. (It was of course pure RNG Gods' intervention, not skill, but still!)

Another time I well remember was shortly after Bleak Inlet was added to the game, and I went exploring the new region. I wasn't well-equipped, and I was exploring the new-to-me Frozen Delta area, I noticed it was getting cold, so I started taking short naps to retrieve a bit of warmth. It was getting dark, I wasn't finding anything (also due to the foggy weather), so I decided to light a quick fire, maybe prepare some coffee for later, and take another short nap. I click on the bedroll and the Sleep/Pass Time interface appears as usual. Right then a notification on my iPhone distracts me… it's a message from my wife, she's at work and she's asking me to retrieve some information on a paper she had left at home. When I finish with her, I return to the game, forgetting what exactly I was doing, I see the Sleep/Pass Time interface and out of habit I select "9 hours". My character was tired and so he goes to sleep. When he wakes up, it's night, a blizzard is raging, and soon he's already at 40% hypothermia risk.

Shit. Shit shit shit. I drink the coffee (but it has gone cold by now, you fool) and, panicked, I try to light another fire (but you're not in a windproof spot, you fool). I light my storm lantern and start wandering around. Not knowing the area, I obviously have no clue where to go. I eventually bump into the northernmost Hunter's Blind (the one closer to the exit to Forlorn Muskeg). At that point I have 98% hypothermia risk. The Hunter's Blind is better than nothing, but still it isn't that great of a shelter when you're in these conditions. Just when I'm thinking I'm not long for this survival run… the weather changes, the wind calms down, the blizzard recedes, and it's just light snow. I light another fire just outside the Hunter's Blind, and stay there for a few in-game hours until I'm warm again and hypothermia risk goes away. 

I exhale and feel… spared.

• Upvote 1

There was the time I was wandering around HRV, when it was first added. It was night and blizzardy and I just knew I was gonna die. I was trying to find any sheltered spot when I wandered off a cliff. I thought. It was only a short drop and I only got bruises and torn clothing but I just knew I was walking off Mammoth Falls for about half a second.

• Upvote 1

A couple years ago I started a new game and spawned in outside the Hunting Lodge. A Moose was right there. I went inside the Lodge and right there hanging on the wall was a rifle in pretty high condition, and enough rounds of ammo to give me a reasonable shot of taking the Moose down. I went outside, leaned against a car for a quick getaway, and put one downrange. Bullwinkle dropped in one! After scrounging around for some firestarting supplies I got a roaring fire going, and proceeded to harvest that Moose the hard way: by hand. But towards the end I got a little careless and overconfident, and went "Bah, heck with it, the fire's got enough fuel, let's just harvest the rest all in one go." Cue the God of Jerks blessing me with a blizzard and me dumping my tea in my lap as frantically I lurched forward to mash Esc. I canceled out of the state with like a severe frostbite risk, like 90% hypothermia risk and nearly dead from freezing. I hauled my popsicle ass and a handful of steaks back to the lodge. I was able to get another fire started and quickly get that steak and some water going, thaw myself out, and surprisingly make a full recovery. And on day 12 I had a satchel, and still tons of moose left. So yeah that first day was full of its highs and lows but overall that was a VERY lucky start.

On a similar note, the last time I played Interloper I basically kept coming up jackpot after jackpot. Spawned in Pleasant Valley, got a ton of cattails on my way to the farmhouse. Found a mag lens and hammer in the basement, so I decided to take a gamble on the hacksaw in TWM and headed straight there. On reaching the summit the hacksaw was in near perfect, or maybe even perfect condition. I just know I didn't have to worry about it breaking on me and all the gear I found was also in near-perfect condition. Even the weather and wolf spawns were agreeable, like the whole time I was expecting the other shoe to drop and the game was like "Nope, this is Diet Interloper. All the cold, half the calories....and by that we mean half the wolves."

• Upvote 1

Mine was probably last night.

I have recently got back into the game and haven't really explored any "new" region. So decided to finally go through to HRV. (Yes I'm that far behind!).

Had prepared in ML and MT so was nicely dressed, fully armed and ready to explore.

Made it through to HRV, spent a night in a snow shelter, explored my way to Twin Sisters Falls and found the local cave to pitch up and drop my things.

Hunted, got myself a nice supply of meat, made some coffee for the morning. Woke up to a nice day and decided to have a wander..... Forgot to pick up my bedroll....my first mistake

Found myself under a mountaineering rope, had some coffee, thought I'd try out my crampons, let's go for a climb.... my second mistake.

Feeling adventurous, decided I'd go for the second rope too, found myself at Pensive Vista..... What a lovely spot....."*yawn* urgh, I feel like something is sapping my energy..."......oh dear. My third mistake.

I'm now fully encumbered, light is starting to fade....I have no bed roll.

Only one option, billygoat my way down, from a place I've never been, it will be fine!

Make it down the first area fine, get to the second area, look over the edge... "Well this is high. Just go for it". Slowly but surely make my way down, sprain a wrist, no problem, bit of bruising, all good. Find myself on an overhang, just under half way up, can't turn back, no where to go. "Well it was a good first attempt to explore, I guess I'll try again another time" let go of the wall.

Fall.

Still falling.

Crunch! "Minor bruising. Torn clothes". Check my status, maximum 2% damage to a couple of items. Lost a third of my condition.

"Now where am I!?"

No ... Surely not.....Somehow I landed literally outside my cave full of items! "Well that was incredibly lucky" - time for bed.

• Upvote 4