New item: Deerskin tent

Ghurcb

So... Deerskin tent.

It would basically be a portable snow shelter with a couple upgrades.

In order to craft it, you have to spend 15 Maple saplings, 12 Deer hides and 30 hours of time. You also need to find a workbench.

The tent weighs 10kg and provides you with a +15'C warmth bonus. It degrades at a rate of 0.5% per hour. You can repair the tent with 3 maple saplings and 2 deer hide, restoring 50% of its condition.

When you place the tent it already has a small campfire inside. You can light it to warm yourself up and cook food. You should also be able to place your belongings inside. Wet clothes, drying hides, saplings, anything. 

Of course, deerskin tent would have to be bigger than a snow shelter, so it's going be harder to find a suitable place for it. But I'm sure the comfort it provides is worth the trouble.

As you can see from the recipe, the deerskin tent would be a late-game item. Right now there's not much use to maple saplings (you won't ever need SO MANY bows) and deer hides are easy to come by even if you never actually hunt any deers. The deerskin tent would be a perfect way to put both to good use. 

If you have any additions, related ideas, questions, or criticisms, make sure to reply. I'll answer to all of them.

Have a great day!

Edited by Ghurcb
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Bearimpaler101 said:

I would carry it as like a backup for if a blizzard but and I'm lost but 10kg makes sense but I wouldn't carry it much and also 15 maple saplings is a bit much of that's more than mystery  lake and milton combined

Yes, 15 saplings does sound a bit excessive...

Instead it could be 10 saplings, 12 hides, and 10 cloth. I just don't want all the crafting materials together to weigh less than a finished product. It wouldn't make a lot of sence.

That's a lot of materials. A tent doesn't have to be very big. You could make a 2 person tent with no more than 4 deerskins. Maple saplings aren't very plentiful either. Crafting time of 30 hours sounds fine, but the amount of resources it takes doesn't seem worth it. It would be hard to carry around if it was 10 kg, too. If the tent would be a last resort survival tool when your lost or bad weather is coming, you wouldn't want a big tent; a smaller tent would be warmer and easier set-up. 

If the tent were used as a base in areas without shelter, it would cost a lot of resources to keep it in good condition. If you leave it in a region for a week, you'd come back to it to see it's at 16%. 

It's a great idea, but it would be hard to craft and maintain, as well as transport. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I really like this idea... long have saplings needed a further use and another use for skins doesn't hurt. In addition, smaller is better as mentioned above as its easier to heat a smaller space... in addition to the saplings and skins best throw in some gut as well for tying it all together

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Pencil said:

That's a lot of materials. A tent doesn't have to be very big. You could make a 2 person tent with no more than 4 deerskins. Maple saplings aren't very plentiful either. Crafting time of 30 hours sounds fine, but the amount of resources it takes doesn't seem worth it. It would be hard to carry around if it was 10 kg, too. If the tent would be a last resort survival tool when your lost or bad weather is coming, you wouldn't want a big tent; a smaller tent would be warmer and easier set-up. 

If the tent were used as a base in areas without shelter, it would cost a lot of resources to keep it in good condition. If you leave it in a region for a week, you'd come back to it to see it's at 16%. 

It's a great idea, but it would be hard to craft and maintain, as well as transport. 

Idk, to me 10kg seems like a fair (and realistic) weight. And while it might be hard to collect 10-15 saplings right away, by the time you get to 50 days you have dozens of them lying around. 

You're not supposed to carry the tent around everywhere like you do with a revolver or a hatchet. But if you want to spend a week in HRV or TM it will surely come in handy.

As to the tent's condition, it only degrades when the tent is set. But you can always disassemble it when leaving the campsite. It would take some time, of course.

Edited by Ghurcb

It is a great idea, especially since it allows you to heat the interior. I suppose that way you would also be safe from the wild animals outside.

I agree that 10 kg is a lot of weight and a lot of wood for its assembly. I think it would make it easier to transport the tent if it was to be carried on a snow sled or similar.

On 5/4/2022 at 10:40 PM, Bearimpaler101 said:

Well bear coat is five kg when 2 bear hides and  4 guts equals 2.4 kg and the moose cloak should be 10.4 kg but it's 4 it doesn't have to be exact

I checked the moose-hide cloak recipe, and actually, it only requires 1 moose hide. So it's 5.4kg of resources, not 10.4.

1.4kg of materials being lost sounds reasonable to me. I suppose, you'd have to cut some pieces of the hide off, to make a cloak.

You are right about the bearskin coat, though. I never really thought about it, but bear hide only weighs 1kg. That's ridiculous! Especially when moose hide has five times this weight.

Edited by Ghurcb