so on the topic of timberwolves

Bearimpaler101

7 minutes ago, Bearimpaler101 said:

Also timberwolves are wimps  although when you get but I like mackenzie s new cacthphrase (not saying due to swear) but I just came to bleak inlet and I wish I had more rifle ammo then I'd show them there not the big dogs around here anymore Lol

Even with a gun they are hard to shoot! Mainly on pilgrim though, they run very erratically ,more so than ordinary wolves!  

If you mean the way they nip at you then I would say that doesn't really make them wimps! More like piranhas!!  And wolves take down their prey while on the chase in real life so it's pretty realistic. I certainly wouldn't like to be part of their fast food diet🙂

Edited by Leeanda

I find that the Timberwolves in BI are not much of a problem, but the Timberwolves in Blackrock give me big problems. In one game in Blackrock I had either five or six attacks by Tw. within ten seconds of each other.  After one attack finished I hardly had time to reload my revolver before the next attack started.  I am not sure if it was a Stalker or Voyager game.  I actually think it was Voyager games but I find it hard to believe that a voyager game could be that fierce.

The crazy thing is that I realise that a flare can keep them at bay but I always use my revolver, and waste loads of ammo.

3 hours ago, peteloud said:

I find that the Timberwolves in BI are not much of a problem, but the Timberwolves in Blackrock give me big problems. In one game in Blackrock I had either five or six attacks by Tw. within ten seconds of each other.  After one attack finished I hardly had time to reload my revolver before the next attack started.  I am not sure if it was a Stalker or Voyager game.  I actually think it was Voyager games but I find it hard to believe that a voyager game could be that fierce.

The crazy thing is that I realise that a flare can keep them at bay but I always use my revolver, and waste loads of ammo.

I think that's on all levels except pilgrim.  They seem to be a lot more vicious than on any other map. I thought they got worse in Keepers pass and by the time you get to BlackRock it's just too much!  And it seems that that is the only map where they will camp out outside the door all night waiting for you. 

28 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I think that's on all levels except pilgrim.  They seem to be a lot more vicious than on any other map. I thought they got worse in Keepers pass and by the time you get to BlackRock it's just too much!  And it seems that that is the only map where they will camp out outside the door all night waiting for you. 

No, I've had timberwolves wait for me in Bleak Inlet as well. They are all extremely persistent if you simply take cover in a building. Best thing is to throw a marine flare at your feet and then try to shoot them.

8 minutes ago, Bimbobjoejr. said:

No, I've had timberwolves wait for me in Bleak Inlet as well. They are all extremely persistent if you simply take cover in a building. Best thing is to throw a marine flare at your feet and then try to shoot them.

Have they? I've never heard them doing that in bleak. Did they scratch at the door too?

I always found that as long as I'm keeping a sharp look out, I could spot Timber Wolves in Bleak Inlet at a much longer distance than they can spot me and used that to be able to make my way through the region without having to worry much about them.  (With the exception of the packs at the cannery... as those are scripted encounters the first time we traverse the path to the Cannery Plant Workshop.)

My general strategy in the past was to spot them, watch them, then pick them off one at a time until only one remained (which of course would flee without the strength of the pack)... then I would just harvest the meat, pelt, and gut at my leisure.

I've only spent a small amount of time in Keeper's Pass and Blackrock (and that was mostly thanks to episode 4).  Reading this makes me really curious about how much (and in what ways) their behavior might be different, and experiment with that for myself.  I know I'll eventually get there in the run I have going now, but it's interesting to read other people's observations while I get my survivor ready to make that trip themselves.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

Have they? I've never heard them doing that in bleak. Did they scratch at the door too?

Don't think I heard scratching, but they were still after me when I went into a building and left it a while later. I'll have to start a voyageur run to double check because I've been running around on my pilgrim run that was meant for exploring blackrock.

6 minutes ago, Bimbobjoejr. said:

Don't think I heard scratching, but they were still after me when I went into a building and left it a while later. I'll have to start a voyageur run to double check because I've been running around on my pilgrim run that was meant for exploring blackrock.

Interested to find out!   Trouble is with the cannery there's always a tight spot which leaves you without many options. It seems the radio tower at BlackRock has that problem only worse!  I've watched someone get stuck there for days . Even after killing most of them ,the morale stayed exactly the same!  By  the time he'd killed the last one a new one would respawn.  One even ran through a fire to bite him.   Surely that's not how the game should be.

I try to pick them off with the rifle from distance before they detect me.  If detected, I try to find an inaccessible place (tree, ledge) and pick them off from there.  Course, those are ideal situations, otherwise, other tactics to hold them off as others mentioned.