The curious case of the missing bear

Blizzard Walker

I use the Mountaineer's Hut in TWM as a long term base. The bear that visits the eastern (fishing hut) end of Crystal Lake is a regular nightly visitor.  My character returned to Crystal Lake after spending 400+ days in other regions. On a previous visit I regularly hunted the bear from the fishing hut and waited for it to respond before hunting it again.

On this trip to Crystal Lake the wolves, deer and rabbits are all present but no bear. On Voyageur I expect the bear to respawn, if killed, every 16-17 days.  After spending 25 days at Crystal Lake I am wondering if the bear will ever return.  I prefer to travel through Echo Ravine only after I hunt and kill the Crystal Lake bear.....thus I wait and fish.

Has anyone else experienced an instance where a reliable bear spawn location goes dormant?

I just went over into TWM on my newest run, and the Crystal Lake Bear is there for me. But I haven't targeted him yet, so it's not the same as your situation.

-----------------------------

As far as spawning goes ... I have had missing Bears in Mystery Lake on 3 different runs now.  Only the Clear Cut Bear has been appearing.

I've also only seen one bear in Blackrock as well ... the one by the Cliff Cave.

But those might just be a case of unlucky starting "rolls" ???

I don't think it's guaranteed to respawn that quickly ,I've had them come back at 15+ days and at 35+ days on pilgrim.  Bearing in mind ( excuse the pun)  that there's so many bugs  at the moment, some  of which include bears!  

On 3/13/2022 at 10:26 PM, twyn1 said:

I just went over into TWM on my newest run, and the Crystal Lake Bear is there for me. But I haven't targeted him yet, so it's not the same as your situation.

-----------------------------

As far as spawning goes ... I have had missing Bears in Mystery Lake on 3 different runs now.  Only the Clear Cut Bear has been appearing.

I've also only seen one bear in Blackrock as well ... the one by the Cliff Cave.

But those might just be a case of unlucky starting "rolls" ???

That's happened to me to according to @Zaknafein there is always to bears in mystery lake but there was only the clear cut one and when I went to bleak inlet I lost that bear i just can't #bear it

On 3/16/2022 at 2:17 AM, Bearimpaler101 said:

That's happened to me to according to @Zaknafein there is always to bears in mystery lake but there was only the clear cut one and when I went to bleak inlet I lost that bear i just can't #bear it

I've only had one bear in mystery on this run,at the hunters blind. My last run had none there at all. 

17 hours ago, Admin said:

We suggest a bit more patience, but if you've been waiting quite a while and you feel it may be a bug, you can absolutely reach out to us via support for a quick check: https://hinterlandgames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Thank you - I will wait till 40 days pass at Crystal Lake.  If no bear by then I will reach out to support.

Are spawns random? Is it possible for a cave to not spawn a bear, ever? 

I've had times where a bear appears for a few days and then goes away, like the one in the prison in Blackrock. It will come for a few days and then be replaced by a wolf. 

Have you checked his cave every day? He doesn't always come to Crystal Lake when he's out and about, does he? 

1 hour ago, Pencil said:

Are spawns random? Is it possible for a cave to not spawn a bear, ever? 

I've had times where a bear appears for a few days and then goes away, like the one in the prison in Blackrock. It will come for a few days and then be replaced by a wolf. 

Have you checked his cave every day? He doesn't always come to Crystal Lake when he's out and about, does he? 

Pencil, I am accustomed to certain areas during a run not spawning a bear. On my Voyageur run I have never had a bear on Mystery Lake or at Trappers Cabin.

As far as the Crystal Lake Bear is concerned, I have seen it regularly visiting the eastern end of the Lake near the fishing cut. Kill the bear and expect it back in 16 days like clockwork.  I imagine the two other bears that spawn in TWM are in their usual haunts but I have not searched them out.  What I find odd is that I expect a bear that is spawning during a current run to continue to spawn as long as the my current run continues. I am going on 40 days without the bear returning to Crystal Lake.

On 3/13/2022 at 6:50 PM, Blizzard Walker said:

I use the Mountaineer's Hut in TWM as a long term base. The bear that visits the eastern (fishing hut) end of Crystal Lake is a regular nightly visitor.  My character returned to Crystal Lake after spending 400+ days in other regions. On a previous visit I regularly hunted the bear from the fishing hut and waited for it to respond before hunting it again.

On this trip to Crystal Lake the wolves, deer and rabbits are all present but no bear. On Voyageur I expect the bear to respawn, if killed, every 16-17 days.  After spending 25 days at Crystal Lake I am wondering if the bear will ever return.  I prefer to travel through Echo Ravine only after I hunt and kill the Crystal Lake bear.....thus I wait and fish.

Has anyone else experienced an instance where a reliable bear spawn location goes dormant?

I've had this happen before.  
just leave the region, cross over into either PV or Ash Canyon.  Spend a day away and return.  The algorythm should reset and bear should start reappearing.  

On 3/18/2022 at 2:04 AM, piddy3825 said:

I've had this happen before.  
just leave the region, cross over into either PV or Ash Canyon.  Spend a day away and return.  The algorythm should reset and bear should start reappearing.  

piddy3825, Thanks for that suggestion.  I have left TWM to transfer loot to the PV Abandoned Preppers Cache.  I think I spent the night there during a storm. Since I need to transfer some more items to the PV APC, I'll take your suggestion and spend a day outside TWM.  When I return to the Mountaineers Hut I'll report if the Crystal Lake bear returns.  Two in game days ago I did spot the bear that wanders along the creek that empties into Crystal Lake; that tells me there are still some bears in the region.

• Upvote 2